Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rubber insulation brittle/cracking

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 03:17 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubber insulation brittle/cracking

I noticed a very troubling situation while examining my engine. Certain wires that are insulated with a rubber material have now cracked and are very brittle. I can actually squeeze the insulation and it would almost crumble like cookie crumbs! For example, there are wires coming from the strut tower in front that goes to the engine that have this insulation problem. I am not sure what wires these are but they look braided. Looking under the car, I see the same pattern for the wires that go to the brakes. This is not good. Is this a common problem or just my car? Also my overall impression on the rubber materials on this car is not good. From fuel lines, vacuum hoses, and even the AFM tube looks like they are not very flexible anymore and brittle. I know the car is like 15yrs old but I had an 85 Celica before and all insulation and rubber hoses were decent. I will soon post pics of these wires once I get the camera running.
Old 09-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Rubber rots.. It happens to us all-
Dependent upon whether your car is daily driven, stored winters, heated garage.. at these factors will determine how fast this will happen. Usually about 10 years worth of heat / freeze cycles- add in moisture and you can see what happens. Imagine a set of 10 year old tires sitting on a trailer and you will get the idea.
Begin replacing the positive/ negative grounds and starter cables first- then spark plug wires.. You can see where I'm GOING- the stuff that can arc and cause a potential fire..

This is exactly why my 15 YO 924s is taking the winter off for new rubber- brake lines, fuel lines, wires, etc..
Old 09-15-2003, 04:17 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup, as Chris noted it is age and heat cycling. Our engine bays get quite hot.

You really need to check out your positives from battery to starter and starter to alternator. If those short out and you have a good battery you will probably start on fire ... just check Perry951's long story on his ill fated rebuild because that is what happened to him.

I sell some replacement cables if you are interested and find yours in bad shape.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:30 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha! I actually beat the IceShark to a correct answer!!

And BTW- I will have my order in soon for ground cables and the like... I'm in serious need- I can see copper through the chassis ground now!
Old 09-15-2003, 05:06 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL, Chris!

The scary stories I heard, and the reason I fuse the alternator positive, is that a few Cadillacs had alternator shorts all on their own, cars turned off. They caught on fire, the worst one being in a guy's attached garage. It caught the whole house on fire. Yikes!

The high end makers like Cadillac, MB, BMW are or are going to fuse that wire now.

Quick Reply: Rubber insulation brittle/cracking