Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto vs. Manual...which is faster?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 04:54 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

manual is faster unless AMAF is driving the automatic. then all bets are off. of course if it is warm outside, but a little chilly the outcome may be different.
Old 09-15-2003, 04:55 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ag951
I don't think a human can outshift a paddle shifter. I remember seeing numbers for it somewhere, and the paddle shifter can disengage, shift, and reengage in about the same time that it takes a normal clutch pedal to come back as the driver lifts his foot. That doesn't even include depressing the clutch and moving the shifter.
A race car clutch could be a different story though.
I beg to disagree.
From bullzeye.com website, stating stats about the Ferrari Challenge Stradale, a street legal car:
Switching to race mode also changes the program for the paddle-shift system, banging off gear changes in 150 milliseconds instead of a leisurely 500 ms when in sport mode.
Full source: http://bullzeye.com/carreviews/2003/...e_stradale.htm

Even in the 'slow' 500 milliseconds is quite a bit faster than a human can shift!!

-Z.
Old 09-15-2003, 05:53 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we need to make a distinction here as we're really talking about 4 different types of transmissions:

Manual Trasmission:
- This is just the normal clutch & stick shift

Sequential Manual Trasmission:
- Sometimes refered to as the SMG (S.M. Gearbox <- BMW) or F1-style (Ferrari/Masserati). This is essentially a normal manual trasmission, with a real clutch. Only difference is it uses hydraulics, a computer, some switches and a few other mechanicals to do all the shifting for you. You can often set in either full-auto mode (drives like a normal automatic) or SMT mode (paddle shifter). This type of trasmission can be VERY fast, like as in 0.1 second shifts, and has minimal drivetrain loss as most of the components are the same as a regular manual tranny.
There are a couple different companies making these and each one has it's own "features", but they all use a real clutch and standard-style gearbox.

Manually-Controlled Automatic:
- This is the Porsche Triptronic, Mopar "Autostick" and all those other "manual automatics". This is nothing more than an automatic transmission with a few extra switches & electronics to allow you to choose the shift points. These all still have a torque converter and an automatic-style transmission. This means you still get all that drivetrain loss and slow-shifting of an automatic. As with all automatics some are better than others however and some can have decent performance.

Normal Automatic Transmission
- This is just the normal automatic transmission we've all seen 100 times before. Due to their design they often have fewer gear ratios, longer shift times, and a lot of drivetrain loss. While they can be made to perform quite well, they are often beaten by manual transmission cars still.

I have heard that automatic transmissions can actually be better at the dragstrip, but I imagine this would be the SMT's which can shift faster and more accuratly (as in at the more optimal time) than any human can.

At the track I would still think either a standard transmission or a SMT would be ideal due to the low drivetrain loss and enhanced control (you don't want any surprises at the track).
Old 09-15-2003, 06:04 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sequential manual's are sweet but the ferrari paddle system is not a SMT because if it was it would heve to be rebuilt very often... also ferrari's with manual's have been proven to be quite a bit faster as the paddle system is the same as triptronic.......

here is a sequential gearbox in action...
http://highboost.com/movies/vsdragjz.mpg

Also normal manual cars do not require a clutch like many of you belive... Its called powershifting. (I do not belive you can do it in the 944 or 911's but I am not about to try) but on mustang's cammaro's and toyota's its possible to change gears without useing the clutch without the clutch.... This is a very instant change of gears..... but don't expect a tranny to last long.. So in theory however fast you can throw the shifter is how fast you can shift gear's.... Also you have to change gears in a paddle shifter so you are still throwing your fingers.... you do the math I still think normal manual is faster....
Old 09-15-2003, 06:08 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Z-man
I beg to disagree.

Full source: http://bullzeye.com/carreviews/2003/...e_stradale.htm

Even in the 'slow' 500 milliseconds is quite a bit faster than a human can shift!!

-Z.
Reread what I said: "I don't think a human can outshift a paddle shifter".
Your evidence supports my guess.
500ms is half a second. I would think that a pro driver, in a race car, can shift in under half a second. It doesn't feel like I'm much slower than that (definetly under a second).
But the paddle shifter's 150ms time is beyond the fastest human time.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:55 AM
Scootin159
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Fishey
sequential manual's are sweet but the ferrari paddle system is not a SMT because if it was it would heve to be rebuilt very often... also ferrari's with manual's have been proven to be quite a bit faster as the paddle system is the same as triptronic.......

here is a sequential gearbox in action...
http://highboost.com/movies/vsdragjz.mpg

Also normal manual cars do not require a clutch like many of you belive... Its called powershifting. (I do not belive you can do it in the 944 or 911's but I am not about to try) but on mustang's cammaro's and toyota's its possible to change gears without useing the clutch without the clutch.... This is a very instant change of gears..... but don't expect a tranny to last long.. So in theory however fast you can throw the shifter is how fast you can shift gear's.... Also you have to change gears in a paddle shifter so you are still throwing your fingers.... you do the math I still think normal manual is faster....
The transmission in that video is a SMT, as is the Ferrari system. All that lever there in the video is, is a double-throw momentary-on switch with a big lever. The ferrari system probably does need to be rebuilt quite often (ferrari's are known for their maintenance, which makes ours look like peanuts), but only gets by with the reliability it has in that it's a little "softer" design than the one in that race car. They probably could make it change gears in .01 seconds, but that's not practical. Toyota manages to get good reliability in their MR-2 (with an SMT) by giving it softer (slower) gear changes.

As for the power shifting, they do work just fine on our cars, and actually aren't that harmful if you are good at rev-matching. I still use the clutch though.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:44 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I figure this is a good time to ask this while on the subject of transmissions and shifting. Can anyone explain to me what 'power shifting' is. Is that the same as clutchless shifting? I used to talk to some Mustang 5.0 guys at the local shows (very nice guys really) and they used to mention that all the time. How is it done? Also what does it mean to 'double clutch' a car?
Old 09-16-2003, 01:56 AM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

maybe they mean truck driver shifting?? no clutch is that what that is?
Old 09-16-2003, 02:20 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Powershifting usually means shifting without a clutch. You need to rev-match pretty darn good.

Double clutching is something you had to do in older cars without syncros in the gears. When downshifting, you put it in neutral, let the clutch out, then push it in and go to the proper gear. Matches engine/transmission speed better.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:54 AM
red9four4
Three Wheelin'

manual is faster unless AMAF is driving the automatic

LOL got to watch out for him, i almost frogot about him till i saw that
Old 09-16-2003, 03:08 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think Legoland951 can powershift - one of his 944s has no donut left!

- Julie
Old 09-16-2003, 10:28 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Originally posted by Ag951
Reread what I said: "I don't think a human can outshift a paddle shifter".
Your evidence supports my guess.
500ms is half a second. I would think that a pro driver, in a race car, can shift in under half a second. It doesn't feel like I'm much slower than that (definetly under a second).
But the paddle shifter's 150ms time is beyond the fastest human time.
Oppsy! Sorry 'bout that. (gotta learn to read better) In that case, "I beg to agree with you!"

-Z-man.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:48 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When I had my 87 Integra, the manual showed the speeds you didn't have to clutch for - aka power shifting. I gave it a try. I think it was from 1-2nd @ 14 mph, and from 2-3rd @ 28mph. Anyway, you hit that speed, and throw the shift **** to the next gear.

I did it once, and it made me so uncomfortable hearing those "clunk" sounds, I never did it again!
Old 09-16-2003, 11:17 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I can powershift.. But I do not do it on the 944 or my fathers 993... Cheaper car's sure, posches's no way.........

secret is to pull it out of gear let of gas for very little time... then slam into next gear.. very quickly done right no sound...
Old 09-16-2003, 11:25 AM
dave120
Drifting

Yeah I've done it in the S2 before..as long as you rev match perfectly it slides in just fine, granted i don't slam it in there like i do with the clutch in, just nice and easy and its fine. I never tried it on a downshift though..i think i'll pass on trying that.

Quick Reply: Auto vs. Manual...which is faster?