Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just became an official 944 owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 11:01 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

At this point, I'm positive it's between the flywheel and the engine block. I pulled the bellhousing today and nothing fell out. Can't see the area in question without pulling the flywheel.

My pressure plate looks like it was salvaged from the wreck of the titanic and my TO bearing has appreciable wobble within the PP. Since it's the whole bearing assembly that's moving, I bet it's actually fine because of the fork holding it but I just wanted to check because this is my first clutch inspection on a 944.

Now the big question...should I just do a clutch job since it's going to be apart? I would have to wait 3-4 weeks for the finances to stabilize - don't want to take any shortcuts. I would probably yank the motor at this point and fix some of the oil leaks while it's out. Add an engine hoist to the bill of materials.
Old 07-20-2015, 08:43 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I would take the pressure plate off and investigate the throwout bearing play. There are shims that need to be added to remove the play and tighten it up. Measure the thickness of the disc and make a decision before you buy a new kit. If you remove the flywheel, replace the 9 bolts holding it to the crankshaft.
Old 07-20-2015, 01:24 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by cruise98
I would take the pressure plate off and investigate the throwout bearing play. There are shims that need to be added to remove the play and tighten it up. Measure the thickness of the disc and make a decision before you buy a new kit. If you remove the flywheel, replace the 9 bolts holding it to the crankshaft.
I took it apart the other day and everything was better than I thought. PO did clutch job in 2006. Disk measures 8mm thick (average over 5 measurements at different places). PP and flywheel are good with no hot spots, just the surface rust on the PP you can see.

TO bearing has no play and spins well but has a little radial free play within the area where all the fingers come together. I was told this is ok because the fork holds it still.

Didn't have to remove flywheel, was able to get back there and snag the bolt once PP was off. I reinstalled the clutch assembly already and will be piecing the rest of the car together as time is available.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:24 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 212 Likes on 153 Posts

congrats.

Quick Reply: Just became an official 944 owner