Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Custom wheels, widths and offsets, danno?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2003, 04:24 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom wheels, widths and offsets, danno?

Ok, i woke up one morning and mistakenly thought i was rich so i convinced myself that i need to order up a set of custom wheels for the 951 unfortunately im not a wheel expert...

if you are going to spend too much money you might as well go all out so i want to fit as much width on these as possible, i know danno's site has the "sizus maximus" but i would like to avoid cutting brackets that hold brake lines and things of that nature to squeeze in that last inch... rolling fenders doesnt bother me, and i already have front coilovers with smaller diameter springs (again danno's site points out that this is important for fititng maximum meat in the front).

is 17x11 rear and 17x10 front do-able? if not then what size will work(17x9 and 17x10?)? what offsets do i need to make everything line up and work proper on my 87 951?

the go karts that we ride after work at the shop have 11" wide rear wheels and im tired of being the guy with the car that has wheels smaller than the kart
Old 09-13-2003, 02:19 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On an '87 951, you'd want:

F: 17x10", 65mm TurboS offset, 255/40-17 tire
R: 17x11", 60mm TurboS offset, 275/40-17 tire

You'll need to grind down or cut off the fender lips in the rear beyond the amount that's done on the TurboS. Trying to bend the fender lip 90-degrees so that it's flush with the fender will result in warpage (even if you cut slits into the lip first). The most troublesome spot on the rear is directly ahead of the tire where the fender curves inwards. This is the spot right behind the square patch of stonegard on the fender. Shouldn't take any more than 5-minutes of grinding per fender.
Old 09-13-2003, 03:06 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

What effect will that have on the handling? Wouldn't it increase steering effort and cause it to track pavement grooves?
Old 09-13-2003, 05:23 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Custom wheels, widths and offsets, danno?

Originally posted by Dan Gallagher
Ok, i woke up one morning and mistakenly thought i was rich so i convinced myself that i need to order up a set of custom wheels for the 951 unfortunately im not a wheel expert...

if you are going to spend too much money you might as well go all out so i want to fit as much width on these as possible, i know danno's site has the "sizus maximus" but i would like to avoid cutting brackets that hold brake lines and things of that nature to squeeze in that last inch... rolling fenders doesnt bother me, and i already have front coilovers with smaller diameter springs (again danno's site points out that this is important for fititng maximum meat in the front).

is 17x11 rear and 17x10 front do-able? if not then what size will work(17x9 and 17x10?)? what offsets do i need to make everything line up and work proper on my 87 951?

the go karts that we ride after work at the shop have 11" wide rear wheels and im tired of being the guy with the car that has wheels smaller than the kart
you have go karts?! why have i not been told about these?!
Old 09-13-2003, 07:39 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Default Re: Re: Custom wheels, widths and offsets, danno?

Originally posted by dualblade
you have go karts?! why have i not been told about these?!
There are alot of toys... suprises around every corner...

Danno: thanks for the info, grinding the inside of the fenders isnt a big deal... looks like on monday when i talk to the wheel company the goal will be 17x11 ... nice!

Quick Reply: Custom wheels, widths and offsets, danno?