Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid-State DME Relay- Beta Testers Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 07:58 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by tempest411
Yes, exactly. Not being stuck or delayed while out on the road is VERY important to me. I just received my solid state DME today and I don't even have a car to plug it into yet. You can't get more preemptive than that! That's how important reliability is to me.
+1

My wife already knows that I am a lousy mechanic.
Old 02-05-2016, 02:26 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was pleased to get an offer to be an early adopter, after I had expressed interest in buying a first-run relay. I jumped on it, and have been very satisfied.

Moreso, I am very appreciative of an engineer who takes the R&D and production costs upon himself to float a better, more modern design for a known-to-be-fragile part for a 30-something year old platform.

I see nothing wrong with putting prices at the level that the part was intended to be sold for. Complaining is just sour grapes. if no discount had been offered, the units would still have sold. I think that we as a community need to express gratitude for having cool things developed at all.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:51 PM
nexus77241
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BoulderGeek
I was pleased to get an offer to be an early adopter, after I had expressed interest in buying a first-run relay. I jumped on it, and have been very satisfied. Moreso, I am very appreciative of an engineer who takes the R&D and production costs upon himself to float a better, more modern design for a known-to-be-fragile part for a 30-something year old platform. I see nothing wrong with putting prices at the level that the part was intended to be sold for. Complaining is just sour grapes. if no discount had been offered, the units would still have sold. I think that we as a community need to express gratitude for having cool things developed at all.
Agree completely. He created it and absorbed all the costs himself and he stated it was an introductory offer. Sometimes people like to just complain...
Old 02-06-2016, 12:31 AM
CyCloNe!
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftech9
As some have noticed, there appears to be a price increase for the Solid-State Relays, and I feel you guys deserve an explanation. I think it is clear that for everyone to be able to buy this product, production is going to need to be ramped up to much higher volumes. The good news is I am working on options to accomplish just that. The bad news is it’s going to take some time and even more money to get to that point. The situation is this, the last batch was actually two because I expedited the one that was scheduled after it. At the moment, I am still catching up on backorders. So, with higher volumes on the horizon the question is what to do about the present. On the one hand I receive more requests to be placed on a back-order list than I have product for. On the other I sell out almost as fast as I get product in. One option is the standard capitalist way of rising prices until the supply meets the demand. Another is to keep the status quo and let whoever happens to be on the website when product is available win. Nether option seem especially fair to me. I don’t have product to sell at the moment, so I took the sale price off while I decide what to do. I build these things for you guys, so what would you do if you were me?
Honestly I say raise the prices, if it helps you and keeps production rolling I'm willing to pay more for one.
Old 02-06-2016, 01:19 AM
bonus12
Three Wheelin'

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

It's in our blood to get the best deal and to count on one for a good business relationship. However, when there is a price we don't all agree with -- or, even worse, a surprise price increase -- by a new vendor who is producing sought-after goods, it's important that as a Porsche community we try to maintain the best relationship possible between "us" and "them".

At the same rate, rennlist is full of bright minds and we clearly have a few bargainers aboard!!! Ahoy!

So:
On one hand: give us a damn good deal NOW and we will support you on your next product!

On the other hand: give us a damn good deal NOW or we will go about our normal purchasing business!

On the third hand we have: adhere to market-based fluctuations in order to keep your boat afloat, and we offer this advice not to everyone but to you specifically in this case because your first product is clearly a success and an improvement! However under this condition, granted that we follow a golden-rules based system, you must manufacture future goods on the same level of quality as your DME relay but at a desirable price!
Old 02-11-2016, 12:41 AM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Count me in for one of these on the next batch!
Old 02-11-2016, 07:23 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Some ppl are just never happy. I put my hand up when I first read about this product and got the discount version but I commited to buy without a price. Then I had to use a freight forwarding service to get it shipped here, so it ended up costing me a lot more than most of you will pay even at the higher price. I think it ended up being about $150 landed. I still think that's great value.

If you don't think taking a known problem out of the equation is worth the money, then don't buy it. Pretty simple. No one is making you purchase. Trust me the 911 guys will be snapping these up and with no complaints about price.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:46 AM
AlphaOmegaPower
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Some ppl are just never happy. I put my hand up when I first read about this product and got the discount version but I commited to buy without a price. Then I had to use a freight forwarding service to get it shipped here, so it ended up costing me a lot more than most of you will pay even at the higher price. I think it ended up being about $150 landed. I still think that's great value.

If you don't think taking a known problem out of the equation is worth the money, then don't buy it. Pretty simple. No one is making you purchase. Trust me the 911 guys will be snapping these up and with no complaints about price.
+944
Old 02-11-2016, 01:31 PM
75ohm
Resistance is Futile
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

No product and there's nothing to talk about whether pricing or availability. Nothing to debate either. You either got one at intro price or you didn't. I had tried to get one at intro price and missed out... oh well. It's not my holy grail of 944 parts... I truly hope the 911 guys buy all of them fast... read the tea leaves on that one.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:36 PM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

put me on a list for two.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:23 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

So here's a question, is there a way OP could turn these into a "performance chip" sort of thing? Maybe I'm missing something but surely possible? Would make it a double bonus for us non-turbo guys.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:59 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

How would that work? A relay is just an on-off switch. It doesn't determine anything else in a circuit.
Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
So here's a question, is there a way OP could turn these into a "performance chip" sort of thing? Maybe I'm missing something but surely possible? Would make it a double bonus for us non-turbo guys.
Old 02-14-2016, 07:11 PM
RJ80
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DasSilberWedge
A performance chip and the DME relay are two totally different things, far as I know.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:04 PM
DasSilberWedge
Racer

Sounds pretty stupid re-reading that. Just found the DIY from Lindsey on doing the chip upgrade & now it all makes sense again. Somehow thought the relay and chip were integrated or closely related with each other for some reason... Just one of those quick silly ideas off the top of my head. Sorry, *total* brain fart!
Old 02-15-2016, 06:19 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you priced a Honda FI relay recently???? LOL These are a steal compared to those. I'll grab a priming one as soon as they are in stock. Put my current one in the glove box as backup, and be a happy camper.

Quick Reply: Solid-State DME Relay- Beta Testers Wanted