Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Solid-State DME Relay- Beta Testers Wanted

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 07:04 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 368 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by MAGK944
Excellent! If you find yourself with even more time on your hands how about a solid state circuit for the heater fan resistor module and also I would love to get rid of those pucks that control the radiator fans. Good work
I have thought about replaceing the fan relay(s) with a Solid-State solution that would let me PWM the fans to any speed. Then the two ceramic "Puck" resistors could be removed entirely.

I didn't realize the heater fan resistor module was an issue. What happens to that thing?
Old 07-04-2015, 07:13 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Arominus
Not in phoenix but ill page butters to the thread, hes close. Any projected price on these? i'll buy one!
I am hesitant to throw a price out there. Volume has a huge impact on that and I simply don't have an idea how many I will sell at this point. That said, I don't think it is going to be too pricey for what it is even in low volumes. But if your expecting it to compete with cheap relays on eBay and Amazon you are going to be disappointed.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:26 PM
944Time
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftech9
I think i would trust a used OE relay over a $16 Amazon special. You will likely need to pick up a second one for your glove box

If you want to go OE you can get the OEM Stribel Relay for $38.

But I'd guess the only difference between that and the cheap relay is the printing on the case. Assuming the picture is correct, that relay is also Made in Hungary.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Butters944
Today I got
My Custom Title
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PM sent.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 944Time
If you want to go OE you can get the OEM Stribel Relay for $38.

But I'd guess the only difference between that and the cheap relay is the printing on the case. Assuming the picture is correct, that relay is also Made in Hungary.

Unfortunately, an OEM made part is not nessarly same as the OE part supplied to Porsche. With an OE part the manufacturer builds the part to Porsche specification. Porsche cares a lot about reliability so there is incentive to keep the quality high. When an OE supplier decides to make an aftermarket part they no longer have to worry about what Porsche thinks, and are free to do what ever they want. In the case of the OEM Stribel relay, it is highly suspect that it is made in Hungary instead of Germany like the OE relay they produced for Porsche. It very well could be a great relay that is Equivalent to the one they make for Porsche. Or it could be a striped-down ultra-cheap relay that Stribel contracted out to some company in Hungry to save money. Honestly, I don't really know for sure. I might pick up an OE and OEM Strible relay and see what behind the cover...
Old 07-04-2015, 11:10 PM
J1NX3D
Three Wheelin'

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

interesting. subscribed to see what happens. GLHF!
Old 07-04-2015, 11:40 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 149 Posts

Honestly, solid state designs being what they are (well, that is when they're not cheap Chinese made crap), the OP could own the market for these things the world over. Of course yes, testing and refinement must be done first
Old 07-04-2015, 11:49 PM
gprt
3rd Gear

Very nice, I will take one for sure. The fuel pump feature is what I need.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:48 AM
lfisher
Advanced

I live in the Phoenix area and would be willing to beta test. Unfortunately my car is not daily driven though.

The fuel pump feature has me very interested. Also the fan relay sounds good. Hope this becomes available.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:33 AM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 295 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Ftech9
I have thought about replaceing the fan relay(s) with a Solid-State solution that would let me PWM the fans to any speed. Then the two ceramic "Puck" resistors could be removed entirely.

I didn't realize the heater fan resistor module was an issue. What happens to that thing?
PWM solution would be huge, imo those puck resistors and the high current wiring to them is a fire hazard.

On the heater fan module it's the mechanical contacts that cause problems. They get dirty and corroded causing a voltage drop affecting fan speed and eventually the only fan speed you can get is full.
Old 07-05-2015, 02:44 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

The internal component quality on relays are a crapshoot. If you open a URO relay, the family dog could be trained to make better solder joints than what you'll see in there.

Re: PWM control on fans
In college, my design team used a 944 fan motor for a project and used a TIP120 + PWM to control it at 12v. It sucked 7A at steady state (IIRC, and more than a dozen when transient) and we friend a lot of transistors trying to get it down. We ended up needing a really big heat sink if I recall.

What about making a standalone "relay" that mounts in a well ventilated area?
Old 07-05-2015, 04:04 PM
Ftech9
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
The internal component quality on relays are a crapshoot. If you open a URO relay, the family dog could be trained to make better solder joints than what you'll see in there.

Re: PWM control on fans
In college, my design team used a 944 fan motor for a project and used a TIP120 + PWM to control it at 12v. It sucked 7A at steady state (IIRC, and more than a dozen when transient) and we friend a lot of transistors trying to get it down. We ended up needing a really big heat sink if I recall.

What about making a standalone "relay" that mounts in a well ventilated area?
As you found out, a BJT transistor makes for a poor high current power control device. Their internal resistance it too high and generate a ton of heat as a result. Newer switching technologies are vastly better. To give you an example, was testing the SSR yesterday at 15A continuously and meshering how hot the switching components where getting. After a a few minuets I put my finger directly on the switching circuit and it was barely getting warm. I then stupidly put my finger on one of the eight 25 Watt load resistors and burned a few layers of skin off. Point being that semiconductor technology has reached a point where heat sinks are becoming unnecessary in a lot cases.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:13 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Great work!

Mike
Old 07-21-2015, 08:31 AM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds like a most fantastic idea! I'm definitely in for something that keeps reliability up and keeps a 30+ year old car going! Even for more money, if you're not having to replace crappy ones every so often, it's a good thing!
Old 07-21-2015, 12:34 PM
HICKS
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PM sent.

Quick Reply: Solid-State DME Relay- Beta Testers Wanted