Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 944 all the gas leaked out.

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:42 AM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 84 944 all the gas leaked out.

84 944 all the gas leaked out.

I had a hole in the fuel line from the tank to the fuel pump over the winter and all the gas leaked out. I started the car at some point after I noticed the leak but I didn’t realize that it had all leaked out. I guess it leaked out slowly enough that I had a small puddle at one point but it all evaporated without a big spill. The tank was relatively low to start with.

So yesterday I replaced the fuel line and put a little over a gallon of gas in the tank. The leak is fixed. The low fuel indicator is on and obviously a gallon isn’t enough to turn that off. The engine will crank but it won’t start. I can’t hear the fuel pump but I am not sure if it is loud enough to hear from the drivers seat and I don’t think I have ever heard it before. I was planning on positioning myself next to the pump and listening to see if I hear any thing as I have someone else turn the key to just the run position. I assume that I should then hear the pump. The pump has been dry for a while, will that mess it up? Do I need to prime the fuel somehow since the fuel system was completely dry?

Thank you for any help you can be.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:00 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

I would replace the other lines and add 5 gallons...have your fire extinguisher ready.
Old 07-03-2015, 12:23 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
I would replace the other lines and add 5 gallons...have your fire extinguisher ready.
The hose appeared to have a hole in it like it was damaged by something that may have kicked up under the car, like a branch.

Are you saying that it needs more gas in the tank to let the car start?

Can anyone answer the questions in my original post?
Old 07-03-2015, 12:36 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it were me, I'd get a fuel pressure gauge on the rail. If your car is like mine, you'll see pressure when the ignition is turned to the first or second position, before the car is stared.

Totally agree on the fire precautions - if your car is in the garage, I would roll it out before starting it and troubleshooting.
Old 07-03-2015, 02:05 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 100 Posts

agree w testing fuel pressure. also if you ran the pump for a long time w/o fuel, you may have burned it out. the fuel cools it.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:48 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

I had someone turn the key just to the run position while I listened at the back of the car to see if I could hear any sound from the fuel pump. I didn’t hear anything. Will the fuel pump make a noise even if the fuel system is already under enough pressure?

I guess it might be time to check the fuel pump relay.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:05 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

The fuel pump will NOT run unless the DME sees the engine spinning. Putting the key in the accessory or run position will not run the fuel pump.

I remember one time I had practically zero gas in the tank. I had just replaced the fuel pump so whatever little amount was in there had come out when I took off the old one. I got a gallon of gas and put it in... no start. I installed a DME relay jumper (which makes the fuel pump always run, regardless) and after about 5 seconds I heard the fuel flowing in the rail. After that it fired right up.

So try cranking for more than 10 seconds, or simply jumpering the relay until you're able to hear the fuel flowing.
Old 07-04-2015, 12:45 AM
TheMAXX
Instructor

Originally Posted by sausagehacker
The fuel pump will NOT run unless the DME sees the engine spinning. Putting the key in the accessory or run position will not run the fuel pump.

I remember one time I had practically zero gas in the tank. I had just replaced the fuel pump so whatever little amount was in there had come out when I took off the old one. I got a gallon of gas and put it in... no start. I installed a DME relay jumper (which makes the fuel pump always run, regardless) and after about 5 seconds I heard the fuel flowing in the rail. After that it fired right up.

So try cranking for more than 10 seconds, or simply jumpering the relay until you're able to hear the fuel flowing.
Thank you very much for that reply I will have to try that tomorrow.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:45 PM
TheMAXX
Instructor

I tried cranking the engine over for 10 seconds to get the gas moving and it didn’t help and it just felt wrong to crank the engine for that long.

I made the DME relay bypass jumper. I luckily had 3 male spade lugs lying around. It just took me a while to find my crimping tool. Getting under the dash (1984 model) and getting the relay out wasn’t easy for me. I am not a big person but it requires one to be a bit of a contortionist. You also need very strong and skinny fingers. I actually used a pair of vice grip pliers set just right to grab the relay and pull it out. And then getting the spade connectors into the right spots was a little tricky, the 87 and 87b were ok but I had to use a pair of locking forceps to get it plugged into 30.

I heard the fuel pump running and I let it run for about 15 –20 seconds and I tried to start the car and it started right up. I don’t know if it was an issue at all with the relay or it just needed time to get the gas thru the fuel system.

I opened up the relay and checked it out (12v to the appropriate pins) and it behaved as it should. I touched up the solder joints and then thoroughly tested it and it passed all of the tests. BTW I am very experienced at soldering and electronics. I put it back in the car and the car started right up.

So thank you to Clark’s Garage for the DME Relay article and for all on here for their help.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:10 PM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

on my car, at least, there is a metal cover over the fuel lines in the back - if yours is missing you may want to seek a replacement - I have the later series, I don't know if 84 had the cover, it had a different fuel tank

Quick Reply: 84 944 all the gas leaked out.