Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

We have a record (hourly charge)!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2003, 03:36 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Anyone have a time quote on the Sending unit (I mean what does the book say)? Good ammo if the guy has to justify 2.75 hours looking for the leak!
Old 09-12-2003, 03:42 PM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know the book labor on it, sorry. I do know that a tech at the dealer I worked at had an electrical diagnosis job on an Audi(warranty). Warranty paid only 3.5 hrs for tha job, he clocked 28 hrs on it. As a good jesture, the service manager met him half way on the hours. Warranty still only paid 3.5 tho. And no, the guy wasn't screwing off and he is a good tech, I also helped him too.
Old 09-12-2003, 06:29 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AndyK-
when I ran a shop (which I might be doing again soon :>))) I would have told you, I cant find the leak drive it with the dye in it come back. I would have charged you for the dye up front (since you drove off with it in the car) and nothing else. When you returned I would have charged you 1/2 hour (.5) for the time to find the leak. Then I would have gone to my Mitchell guide to look up the labor (if it was not there, and it might not have been ) then I would have asked my tech how long it was going to take (if he said 2.5 hours I would have fired him). He probably would have said 10 mins and I would have charged you between .3 and .5 for the labor. Your total on this job should have been about:
$105 in labor total
14.99 dye
75-100 dollars for cost of part (I think it has been a while)

for the rest of you, please remember that flat rate (what most shops use) is designed for the average tech. I can do struts in about 15 mins a side with air tools (plus a few for spring) but most shop labor guides call for 1 hour per side. That being said if I run into the mother bolt that wont come loose and spend 3 hours on one side I get paid...you guessed it...one hour. It does work out on the whole most of the time for most customers. Look up the labor time for 4X4 Jeep Axles, they can be done in about an hour for both sides, time is a little over 4.

Like anything else once you have the learning curve down the rest is easy work. We like to call it gravy, in this case they just got a little greedy (a lot greedy actually). If they followed the labor guide times and can show you then there is nothing you can do. Otherwise, just put up a fight, you will likely get some of your money back.
Andy, post a detailed receipt to my PM if you would and I will help you out.

Quick Reply: We have a record (hourly charge)!!