Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AC Recharge conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 11:16 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

While I don't know for certain, I'm pretty confident the reason for the professional is to capture the freon. Odds are that your system probably still has freon in it but is just low (unless there is a huge leak somewhere).

BB.
Old 07-03-2015, 11:36 AM
944Time
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

A/C Tip: don't change fittings (i.e. screw on adapters)

If you put a R-134A adapter on the low side fitting, you will not be able to plug the R-134A coupler on it! The adapter (just barely) fits, but there is not enough clearance for the hose coupler to pop on. I had to unbolt the ac compressor and slide it down to get off the connector.

Get a R12 hose set! There's no reason to change the fittings--you can fill it with R-134A thru the R12 style schrader valves.

from

http://944time.com/porsche/944-ac-air-conditioning.php
Old 07-05-2015, 08:59 PM
John_AZ
Proprietoristicly Refined
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by audi49
Have searched the forums and there seem to be different versions of what to do.

Is the first link above what is needed at minimum? Are only 6 o-rings needed? I thought there were many more.

Also I assume that they recommend having a professional empty the system. Is that to capture the refrigerant? Since mine doesn't cool does that mean that I can do it myself? Or is there some other reason to get a professional involved?

Thank you!
Porsche official info:
http://the944.com/ac/default.htm

Yes, to capture the refrigerant.
Tools add a few dollars.

You need to buy a set of AC gauges (Harbor Freight)
You need to buy a medium size AC Vacuum pump 1.2CFM (Harbor Freight)

Replace the receiver/dryer.

"O" rings. Only a few are needed to convert. The problem is many of the old "O" rings under the dash may be leaking and only a leak test can confirm prior to converting using an electronic sniffer or a red dye Freon based. Buy a mixed "O" ring kit at AutoZone or a larger Santech conversion kit.

The condenser should be back flushed (can of flush and hose at FLAPS) so you need a couple more "O" rings.

Add the proper oil. Esther is best because it mixes well with old AC oil.
Read more on Griffiths.com

A start...

J_AZ

Quick Reply: AC Recharge conversion