Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT- Where were you on 9/11

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2003, 04:09 AM
jjmson20
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT- Where were you on 9/11

I remember the day like it was yesterday...beautiful blue sky, calm water and still wind. I was on a boat to work and i was thinking what a great late summer day it was. After about an hour of work i came across a huddle of people gathered around a radio..."a plane hit the world trade center".."what like a small prop plane"?....."no, like a big passenger jet". I only though which tower was it cause my best friend worked in #2. Nobody knew. I called his house but the phone was busy. I made my way to a tv..the sight made me sick, i felt a little better when it was the other one that got hit...not that i felt good about that but i knew my boy was ok. What is that?...another plane slammed into the other tower!...i got sick to my stomach. I stared at the tv for what felt like hours...the second one collapsed...i couldnt believe it was gone, then the first came down..what just happened? My friend was on the phone with his dad when the first got hit..he was watching on tv, then he saw the plane hit the second and the phone went dead...i cant imagine what he felt. The phone went dead cause a co- worker grabbed my freind and ran downstairs, luckily the plane hit the other side and above his office. I wont say what he saw..its just too disturbing. I hate these people for what they did. I'm so thankful that my friend made it out where so many others did not. I'm also thankful for the bravest and finest who ran into those buildings to get people out.
So if you're not up at 8 for the ceremony , take a minute and just remember where you were and where you are.
Old 09-11-2003, 04:13 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was on my way to work and heard it over the radio. A sad day for America!
Old 09-11-2003, 04:49 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was on the way home from college, skipped class, and heard it over the radio on the way home. I turned 21 that day...
Old 09-11-2003, 05:00 AM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,338 Likes on 495 Posts

I was sitting in "the dungeon" being a network admin @ college.glued to the TV screen watching planes crash and buildings fall.....a tragic day for america...
Old 09-11-2003, 05:06 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

got home from a job (field engineer) and about to have lunch when I turned on the TV.

Never forget the sight of smoke pouring over the NY skyline, and wondering "What the hell's going on here ?"

really shocked when the announcer said it was a terrorist attack.

take care yall out there

peace out from across the pond

Adrian
Old 09-11-2003, 05:11 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

i was on my way home from running an errand. i never listen to howard stern, but when i as less than 2 mins from home, i flipped to the station he was on (my usual station was on comercials). he was saying somthing about smoke coming from tower 1, and that someone was assuming an air plane hit. they thought some one was trying to pull a prank on em til they looked out side and saw smoke. about this time i pulled into the drive way and turned on cnn (im interested in news, thats what i hope to do when im out of college, write the news). i turn on the tv, they are panning the sky, getting shots of the smoke, and panic down below. they tell of the reports of a plane hitting one of the towers. the camera pans up to the sky line, zooming in to see the smoke and damage to the tower, when out of nowhere we see a second plane come into view and smash into the face of the seond tower, on live tv. classes at ohio state never start til late sept, and i didnt have to be at work til 5 pm. i was glued all day to the events going on, emailing friends i know who go to school in NY, and who have family who travel, to see if they were ok. i always find it interesting when history unfolds before our eyes. it bonds us together as human beings and as americans, and events like this define us as who we are; as people, a country, and as our spot in the spectrum of human civilization.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:03 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, not to be anti-climactic, but I was in bed, sound asleep.

It was about two weeks after I first moved to Pittsburgh, and it was really surreal. I used to be able to see the towers from where I live in NY if it was a clear day.

I talked to a close friend over the next couple of days who had recently moved to Texas. (He grew up around the block from me). He felt the same way I did. It was as if we lost a family member. Not a close one, more like a distant uncle that I didn't really have a relationship with, but who would always be with the family on holidays and always send birthday cards. All of a sudden he wasn't there anymore.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:41 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Rest In Peace my Friends which died that horrible day.
Old 09-11-2003, 08:13 AM
Thaddeus
Deer Slayer
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was in a wholly different world than the one I live in now. 9/11 changed everything.

Old 09-11-2003, 08:32 AM
ELLSSUU
Geaux Tigers!
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Walking to work when I saw a TV inside of a Stock Exchange Office. Couldn't hear the sound so I didn't know what happened yet. Got to my office and turned on Foxnews.com and couldn't believe my eyes. At that time only one building had been struck and the news didn't know exactly how big the plane was that hit it. It never occured to me that it was a terrorist act until I got to a TV and saw the second plane collide. I get chills today just like that day. I've never seen the towers nor believe that I've met anyone that works there but mixed emotions that were going through my body were horrible. I wanted to ring somebodies neck in the worst way while I also wanted to believe that I was dreaming the whole thing but also felt so much grief for those who died. I remember for weeks coming home from work and gluing myself to the TV to see updates, non of them joyful, and being in such a bad mood that I finally stopped turning on the TV.

I feel so bad for all those children that will never know their parents and I feel praise and loss for those rescuers that gave their lives so that others could be saved.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:45 AM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

In a science class at high school, then in the english class immediately following *right after the second tower got hit*, she wouldn't let us watch and just taught class as normal.
Old 09-11-2003, 09:49 AM
Steve in New Hampshire
Pro

I was actually scheduled to be in the building that day, but the trip was cancelled a few days before. Four of my colleagues who were working on a project with me for Deutsche Bank were on the 106th floor of the South Tower. They didn't make it out. Very sad.

A fifth colleague dumped coffee on his shirt in one of the coffee shops in the basement that morning and decided to go back to the hotel to change his shirt...that coffee saved his life.

I was rummaging through my desk last night and found a Deutsche Bank WTC temporary badge from May 2001 that I had forgotten to give back...

I still remember sitting at my desk that morning when I got an email just saying "go turn on your TV".

The only thing close for me was when Kennedy was shot (yea I'm THAT old).

Steve
Old 09-11-2003, 09:54 AM
marky522
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was at the factory i worked at running a robot, we started hearing rumors from the other parts of the shop where they can use a radio, we cant cause of the noise level, i was 18 at the time and didnt really understand the magnitude of it, once i got home and watched the news it sank it, I also want to express thanks to the men and women who risked there lives and the ones that lost theres that was a truly heroic act.

Mark
Old 09-11-2003, 10:13 AM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I had just entered the office and was eating breakfast - we had a direct view of the buildings from where I sat. Everyone starts talking about the fact that a plane hit the towers. Of course the rumor was that it was a small plane but the hole it created sure didn't seem that way.

We watched out the window and saw the second plane hit. I thought it was a bomb or something at first. I still remember how the glass was gleaming in the sunlight when the impact occurred.

At that point we have radios on and are attempting to get live feeds from the Internet - but of course all the servers for the news stations were at full capacity. The rumors were everywhere about the number of planes that were unaccounted for and what the cause of this all was. It literally felt like we were at war - I had a bad feeling in my stomach.

Eventually right before our eyes the first tower fell. I still couldn't believe it - the view just didn't seem right. Then the second one sank and we were told we could leave if we wanted to.

The streets were of course chaotic and quiet at the same time. People didn't know what to say - those of course who weren't crying. Getting home was a nightmare of it's own as they locked the city down once they found out what happened. I think I arrived at my house at 11pm. That next morning I woke up to a nightmare with a similar scenario playing out with one of the buildings next to my office.

Although it has been two years it's all still very vivid...
Old 09-11-2003, 10:23 AM
Z-man
Race Director

I live in NJ, in the shadow of the NY skyline.

I heard the first plane hit on the radio on the way to work.

Second plane hit when I was at my desk.

They fed in the CNN news channel to our computers on our desks. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

Desperately trying to call Kim, my wife. She was nowhere near NYC, but I wanted to know she was ok. I cried when I first heard her voice that day.
When talking with her, tower #2 collapsed. I told her, "Tower 2 is gone." She said, "What do you mean?" I said, "One of the world trade center towers just collapsed." She couldn't believe it: she didn't want to believe it.

They let us go home around lunchtime. I went to Kim's school (she's a teacher), to see if they could use some help. Then I went home and sat glued to the TV for hours on end.

Perhaps the saddest thing I saw was the next day: I drive by a commuter lot on the Garden State Parkway. There were a couple of dozen cars there from the day before, most likely from owners who would never come home again to their families and homes.

Dave, a member of Rennlist who used to post a lot here in the past was supposed to be on top of Tower 1: he works with those big antennas. Verizon couldn't get the part delivered in time, and they cancelled last minute. He will be around to spend precious time with his wife and young son...

-Zoltan.

Quick Reply: OT- Where were you on 9/11