Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent start failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 12:11 AM
EJnMN
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent start failure

83 944. Has been running fine, although it seemed like I had to keep pushing the clutch in further and further to get it to start... first pushing then mashing it to the floor.

Now clearly, I am imagining this part. It seems like there is a clutch lockout switch. I can't see one, and I don't see anything in DCAuto, or clarks-garage and when I search, people say we didn't have them on the old models. But I swear it will not start without the clutch in... so maybe I am using the wrong term or looking in the wrong place.

Anyway... now... even when I mash the hell out of it, it only turns over sometime. Was stuck at work for a 1/2 hour. Everything seems to be fine besides that. The fan motor gave out in heavy rain yesterday, but I can't imagine that is connected. All the other systems are normal, just no turn or relay click or anything from the starter. I checked the wires there and they all seem ok.

Ideas?
Old 06-13-2015, 01:20 AM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts

it only turns over sometime.
Can you be more specific? If you're talking about the starter itself turning over being intermittent I would replace the ignition switch, they're unfortunately prone to failure on the early cars. I'm on my 3rd one personally, 4th owner. Luckily they are $5 or so last time I checked.

If it's cranking healthily but is still not starting, there are about 623096713046 other threads with info you need...
Old 06-13-2015, 08:04 AM
EJnMN
Instructor

Ah, yes. When it fails, there is no sound whatsoever. no solenoid click, no tach bounce, no relay noise, nothing. Just the radio, seatbelt buzzer...regular noises. This, and the fact on a good day it wouldn't start until the clutch pedal was pushed in, led to the belief that it was some sort of kill switch or safety switch. I suppose it is possible that pushing hard on the clutch made my upper body move back and that caused me to pull on the key in such a way to make a worn ignition switch connect...
Old 06-13-2015, 09:25 AM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 132 Posts

You can also check your grounds and the starter cables at the starter..Perhaps they are loose. If the ignition switch doesn't fix it, take the starter off the car, take it to AutoZone and have them throw it on the test bench..Be sure you get the printed test results with numbers. I think they have starters for this car with a lifetime warranty..(Shameless plug but good advice). Perhaps an automotive electrical shop can rebuild it for you if you have one around. Generally when a starter fails, the bushings in the starter nose or the rear, get worn, and this allows the armature inside to drag the field coils (magnets). Usually a dead short is the result, and a complete rebuild or replacement of the unit is necessary. just a tip..
Old 06-13-2015, 09:47 AM
EJnMN
Instructor

This morning, when I went out, it started 7 times in a row. Then I tried with the clutch out, and it failed. Clutch back in, after 2-3 tries it started working again. I will order and replace that ignition switch since its cheap insurance. In the mean time, I'll try to see if hot wiring it directly works all the time or intermittently. I think that would tell me if it is the switch or wiring between the switch and the starter, or the starter itself.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:48 AM
EJnMN
Instructor

Actually, I have a spare starter in the garage I can try if it is not the switch.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:41 AM
EJnMN
Instructor

I tried again... paying close attention to my body language when I was starting it with the clutch in. Pushing hard on the clutch caused me to subconsciously push extra hard on the key. It was forcing the key hard that made the car start. Ignition switch is ordered. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Intermittent start failure