Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 924 stalls going over uneven road

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 10:56 AM
GetBoosted
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by morghen
hmm, i wrote you about how to check the fuel circuit near the pump and replace the pump but if you say that the tacho bounces then its probably on the ignition side.
I had a bad ignition module once on my 83 NA...source a good one and give it a try.

Thanks for the quick reply. Yeah, the tach definitely bounces from redline then to 0 rpm then back to my current rpm (assuming it doesn't stall at least). Any ideas on where I could source a refurbed or new one? I just checked a few places real quick & didn't see any listed as new so I'd assume this is a junkyard item I need to locate.

Do you know of a way to test & see if that is the issue prior to replacing it? I'm just curious because I'm not sure how difficult it is to locate one of those.
Old 06-11-2015, 03:14 PM
morghen
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Item should be easy to find and cheap to buy...not rocket science stuff.
Be sure to check the connector to it, the metal connector clips can be corroded or enlarged from old age and being handled....so properly check all connectors that are related to the ignition system first.
It might be that you just have some loose pins. But if you are in a hurry you can post and add on 924board.org looking for this item.
I would listen to Dan(ideola) here and on 924board, he has several 924s, he has been into the 924 scene for a long time and he is very organized as you can probably tell.
I would also check and replace the ignition coil...it might have a defect that is triggered by bumps or vibration.
All the valules of the ignition system are available in factory manuals, or even Haynes manuals for your specific vehicle, take care that US models are different from the rest of the world cars and there are several 924 variations based on years of production, markets and ofcourse factory model designation.
Old 06-12-2015, 01:36 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if an intake hose/j-boot type connection is loose and flexing open as you go over the rough spots.

Quick Reply: My 924 stalls going over uneven road