Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

993 Wheel Locks

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2003, 08:38 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You guys are nuts, do the thief a favor and leave the locks off. I can usually have ANY lock off in a matter of seconds (have been doing it a long time) and all that will happen is they run the risk of damaging your wheels. Just like alarms, real thieves dont care one bit about wheel locks, if they want them then they are gone. FYI, there are about 12 "keys" for wheel locks that will remove just about any set known to man. Matter of fact, Toyota sells a master key set at the dealership for people with shops. Desgined to use on toyo and lexus lugs they will work on most anything.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:43 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by PorscheG96
No different from getting the KEYS from Porsche for the earlier locks.
Yup! My dad once said that locks only keep honest people out. If someone wants something bad enough and it's yours, you're in trouble!
Old 09-09-2003, 08:47 PM
led
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still, what are the chances of a wheel thief having one of this master keys, or any one in particular for that matter? I say it's a little insurance. Otherwise why make cars with locks? I think getting inside the car is the easiest part of stealing any car.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:48 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

BTW, I have C2's also on my car with the 993 wheel locks. Interesting story... I got new S-03's last year and the shop forgot to put one of my locks back on. I called them and they said to get a new "set" and give them the bill. I order'd them from the dealer and handed them the receipt. The guy's jaw dropped when he saw the price and he said "if we lost one, why are we paying for four". My reply was, "you find a place where I can buy just one of them and you let me know". He gave me the cash right out of the register drawer.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:13 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

I am having serious wheel lock problems, could someone post some pics of these 993 wheel locks, i think i have them, but i am not sure...
Old 09-09-2003, 09:14 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

If you follow the link in the original post, it's the last item on the bottom of the page on the Pelican link. It says 944 but they're 993's.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:16 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

yeah, but i cant really tell from that pic, what i have is like a little washer type lock w/ five small holes in it. there is a lug nut that goes over the top of it
Old 09-09-2003, 09:27 PM
sybelix
Burning Brakes

yup, I have them in my car;
they are sooo light material, don't know what.
They look and feel much better than the older ones.

Someone asked if they are needed,
well that's everyones own business, but for example here in Helsinki
some a$$hole stole brakes from a 951 (not mine) during the night, get that..
the disc's, calipers, the works..
And this took place here in Finland, where nothing ever happens..

So at least, lets make this kinda activity a bit harder for the bad guys.
Old 09-09-2003, 10:06 PM
Z-man
Race Director

One way to solve the stolen wheel thing is to use wheels that are not desireable. Like my 16" 968 5-spokes: who would want those?!?

Perry: I am sorry to hear of your friends' stolen items.

It truly is a shame what people will selfishly do at the cost of others....

-Z-man.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:37 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Lemme ask you this, if a thief has no keys or way to get them off then how are they being stolen? That like saying, "well who carries a lug wrench." People who steal wheels will carry not only a master set but a breaker set (MAC has them for 60 bucks) and if it looks hard and they want them then they will take the whole car. FYI, the most commonly stolen wheels are NOT custom wheels. Get ready for some jaw droppers: 15" steel Saturn wheels (they run over 200 dollars a piece and are frequently theived) 14" Honda wheels (obvious reasons) I once helped a young girl who had a flat, when we got back to the car (30 mins top, in daylight on the side of a highway) someone had left us another jack and taken a wheel and the other 2 center caps! and lastly 16" GM wheels from Firebirds/Grand Prix's. For the mostpart it is pretty hard to move a set of 18" Porsche wheels, real limited buyer market. If it makes you sleep better at night then go for it, but it wont keep your wheels on your car, that I GUARANTEE!!
Old 09-09-2003, 11:38 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I lie there is one time is will keep your wheels on...the one time you need the key and dont know where it is! Someone has a law about that!
Old 09-10-2003, 12:27 AM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, cynics about here on this thread... The saying "Locks only keep honest people honest" is completely true. But so is the idea that most thefts are born of opportunity and if you make your XXX more work than whatever down the road, the XXX down the road will be the target (this is the mentality with motorcycles ~ sometimes just parking with the steering lock in an area with nice bikes that have no locks is just enough.. )

For $25, my wheel locks will slow down someone enough that if I'm gone for 30 minutes they might still be there to get the asskicking of their life.

Quick Reply: 993 Wheel Locks