Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear toe/camber change

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 04:09 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default rear toe/camber change

What's the relationship between camber and toe on the rear? Is it the opposite of the front - i.e. moving towards positive camber in the rear results in more toe out, negative camber causes toe in? I'm guessing that's it, because the camber adjustment is in front of a fixed point (the axle). So when the trailing arm moves up in an arc towards negative camber, it pulls the wheel closer to the center of the car, but it pulls from a point in front of the axle, causing toe in. Does that sound correct?

I have been checking my toe settings with strings, and what I'm seeing is that my RL has less negative camber than the RR, but it also has a little toe out. So I wonder if this is a case of the camber in the rear drifting somehow, or if both settings have gone out of whack independently. I've had the camber drift towards positive on the FL due to driving on the track.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:43 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

moving the rear control arm back in relation to the spring plate 'negates' or less + toe.

if you have toe out, you need to slide the control arm forward on the rear spring plate
Old 05-13-2015, 07:13 PM
mikey_audiogeek
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
What's the relationship between camber and toe on the rear? Is it the opposite of the front - i.e. moving towards positive camber in the rear results in more toe out, negative camber causes toe in? I'm guessing that's it, because the camber adjustment is in front of a fixed point (the axle). So when the trailing arm moves up in an arc towards negative camber, it pulls the wheel closer to the center of the car, but it pulls from a point in front of the axle, causing toe in. Does that sound correct?

I have been checking my toe settings with strings, and what I'm seeing is that my RL has less negative camber than the RR, but it also has a little toe out. So I wonder if this is a case of the camber in the rear drifting somehow, or if both settings have gone out of whack independently. I've had the camber drift towards positive on the FL due to driving on the track.
If you think about rotating the banana arm about its own axis, then yes, more negative camber gives more toe in and more positive gives more toe out.

Cheers,
Mike

Quick Reply: rear toe/camber change