Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OPRV rebuild, how to reasemble

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2015 | 07:48 AM
JEA
5th Gear

Default OPRV rebuild, how to reasemble

Greetings All,
New to this site but longtime 924S owner. I am having problems with putting my OPRV back together. I pulled it apart to inspect as part of a search to find out why oil pressure was running high. Wish I hadn't, everything was fine, no scoring and the valve itself appears to be ok. Now I cannot get it back together. I cannot get the shaft with the new o-ring to slide into the threaded portion and then lock into place. When everything is pressed together in the vise it just rolls up the shaft and finally tore after 3 attempts.
My question is does the 0-ring go onto the shaft first or into the threaded portion before everything is pressed together. I have 2 new 0-rings and am hesitant to proceed until I figure out what the trick is.
Despite what I read on-line I'm wondering if these things were meant to be taken apart. I'm not seeing a happy ending here.
Any help would be appreciated.

Jon
Old 05-08-2015 | 12:41 PM
porscharu
Pro

The O-ring goes on the shaft and is a TIGHT fit. Use plenty of oil on the O-ring and inside the threaded part. I wiggled and pressed it in by hand then finished up with a large C-clamp. You will have to go slow and I don't see straight pressing it in ever working without getting it started by hand. It seats over a sort of rolled lip on the inside then is under spring tension when assembled. I assure you it can be done just be patient and don't force it.
Old 05-11-2015 | 01:06 PM
JEA
5th Gear

Progress....The OPRV is back together. I got it done by inserting the o-ring deeply into the threaded portion and pressing the shaft into place. My valve is 944 107 035 11 and it has a bevel on the end of the shaft that allowed the o-ring to slide past and into it's groove. It would not go together with the o-ring installed into it's groove on the shaft first. Wasn't gonna happen!!

Now I just have to get the OPRV aligned in the oil cooler housing and get the oil pressure where it should be. It's all about the journey!! Keeps me humble.....

Jon
Old 05-12-2015 | 05:10 PM
JEA
5th Gear

Well I got everything back together this afternoon but I am still pegging the gauge at 2000 rpm warm. There was trouble aligning the OPRV in it's housing but I got it so it threaded in evenly by hand. I have the alignment tool but it's a real sloppy fit in the housing. I don't see how it is doing any good.
Any suggestions on where to go from here would be appreciated.
I'm thinking I'm gonna take the oil cooler off again and start over.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 05-13-2015 | 08:36 AM
931guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JEA
Well I got everything back together this afternoon but I am still pegging the gauge at 2000 rpm warm. There was trouble aligning the OPRV in it's housing but I got it so it threaded in evenly by hand. I have the alignment tool but it's a real sloppy fit in the housing. I don't see how it is doing any good.
Any suggestions on where to go from here would be appreciated.
I'm thinking I'm gonna take the oil cooler off again and start over.

Thanks,
Jon
The alignment tool should not be a sloppy fit inside the housing. It should be snug and not sloppy at all.
Old 05-15-2015 | 05:24 PM
JEA
5th Gear

The tool (just purchased ) is very sloppy. I checked engine numbers again and I have the right valve for my 87 924S and I have the right tool and that steel sleeve is where it should be. I'm gonna try to get another tool. I also built a oil pressure tester (with a mechanical gauge) that I am playing with.

One more question, Does anyone know what pressure the OPRV should open at? Is it 7 bar?

Jon
Old 05-15-2015 | 09:28 PM
JEA
5th Gear

Can someone check on their 9215 alignment tool. How far is it supposed to extend into the hole before it bottoms against the oil cooler housing?

Jon

Quick Reply: OPRV rebuild, how to reasemble