Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Diagnose Clutch Noise Please

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 10:54 AM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help Diagnose Clutch Noise Please

While I don't have any functional problems with my clutch, it has started to make an unusual sound. When I turn off the car with the clutch released in neutral, there is the sound of a spinning vibrating rattle tin like sound that gets louder then softer until it stops spinning. Really sounds like something is loose in there. It does not make any sound with the clutch pedal depressed. The sound is coming from the center of the car. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 09-07-2003, 12:36 PM
ninefiveone
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Throw out bearing sleeve would be my guess
Old 09-07-2003, 12:41 PM
'88-924S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search in archives. I have the same sound and did a search and asked on this board and
the best I could figure out is, if I remember correctly, is the fifth gear idler. Many people complained of the same thing and I've come to reluctantly accept it(for now.) I hope to figure it out when I change my clutch soon(56k orig miles) to a spring centered clutch. If you do figure it out, PLEASE post the problem and any solutions. Thanks and good luck.
Old 09-07-2003, 11:05 PM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 9 Posts

Anyone think this might be a sign prior to a failure ? I would hate to ruin a track weekend do to a loose or breaking part. Thanks again.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:51 PM
billybones
Burning Brakes

Sounds like the idler in tranny. I would check tranny fluid level.. seems if it was loaded with fluid it would keep it from free spining after shutdown..dry bearings let off of load would make this sound. Is it the same as spinning a wheel bearing that is dry with an air gun? as others seem to have had this problem maybe it is just normal wear in there...
Old 09-08-2003, 01:30 PM
TaboII
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Default diagnoses

You can figure out of it is in the tranny or the throw out bearing/clutch by simply getting in and depressing the clutch. If the sound goes away then when you release it returns while in neutral then most likely it is a sign that the throw out bearing is going bad and possibly more.

You will have to do a bit more to chase down a possible tranny problem but it really is not that bad. Remove the transition mating shaft at the rear with an 8 mm alien head drive and slide it back towards the tranny. This effectively severs the transmission from the engine leaving you with only the Torque tube and engine to worry about, then start the car a depress and listen then release and listen. If the sound is gone then the problem is defiantly in the tranny. If you can still hear it then it is a clutch problem.

Quick Reply: Help Diagnose Clutch Noise Please