Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redneck Paint Job...continued

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2003, 10:19 PM
zehnd
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took the "*****" reference as in a "***** cat".

At least I hope that is what he meant.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:08 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Michelle. You know I love you. But would a comment like "What a dick" Be considered an insult to men.

I had this same conversation with a Lesbian friend of mine.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:26 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Bruce, txhedge is implying that Robert is acting like a cowardly little git, you know, a sissy. I totally disagree with that assertion and thing Robert is behaving in upstanding fashion.

Sid, I see your point. Being as I think Michelle is a valuable addition to the forum though, I would rather not offend her.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:49 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Not trying to offend here. She knows me well enough I hope.

Believe me, I'm the last one to want to see Michelle gone.

Hell, She can overcome a lot if I still like her. I mean she is a lawyer.
Old 09-08-2003, 12:56 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No, I know your not. I get a little out of hand sometimes and then remember we have folks other than raucous men on this forum. I then have to rethink what I wrote and maybe edit.

I totally agree with your point though. It could make for a wonderful and very heated topic for debate on the off topic forum. Hell, maybe even mix in racial and religious examples to really heat it up.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:19 AM
txhedg
Racer

Originally posted by Robwsup
txhedg,
Thanks for your post it really helped alot. Now that you have put your two cents in, the road ahead is clear and unobstructed. I wish all Rennlisters had the insight and knowledge that you seem to possess, for if they did, I probably could have figured out how to get my car painted for free.

"no P-cars right now (in wife-imposed penalty box....but the countdown to release has started)"

Who's taken the ***** pills?
Hey Rob, glad to see you got a bit pissed off. Now if you can project some of the anger you have towards me at Arseclown and stop worrying about "getting him in trouble at work", you may be getting somewhere. And BTW, there is a really good story behind the penalty box. Holding up your side of an agreement with your wife does not make you a ***** (non-gender specific insult intended) IMHO. But its you perogative to interpret it as you wish Rob.

MichelleJD - I apologize if you took offense to my use of the P-word (as opposed to P-car). It was meant to mean wimpy, non-confrontational, etc, and truly wasn't a gender thing. Hell, many of the most aggressive attorneys I use are female, and I can remember one of them who told me during one deal closing to "stop being such a ***** and put the screws to them". Yes, I know its a bad choice of words, but one that if taken as gender neutral, can be fairly descriptive. When I wrote it I knew it would offend some people, but I didn't think about the female aspect of it.....thats not what I intended. I am sorry that I offended you.

Last edited by txhedg; 09-08-2003 at 03:59 AM.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:57 AM
txhedg
Racer

Originally posted by DangerIslandII
txhedg: just because someone is ****ing you over, that doesn't mean you have to be cruel to the person. If I'm having a business conflict with someone, I'm not going to go to his kid's school and take their lunch money, or tell him his wife is a fat cow, blow up his mailbox, or go out of my way to embarass him at work. I think that Rob is showing himself to be a pretty nice guy by not wanting to totally F@#% the guy over and embarass him needlessly.
Someguy is holding your car hostage and you are concerned about being a nice guy???????

just because someone is ****ing you over, that doesn't mean you have to be cruel to the person

read that 2 or 3 times and think about whether you really believe it....it doesn't say "some one is disagreeing with you" or "someone is negotiating hard"...in those cases, I would agree with you.....but that is not what he is doing.

I'll go back to a point I made earlier in this thread......this guy is not treating Rob in a way where he deserves any respect in return. If the guy had said "my costs ran over, you owe me more money, and I'm gonna sue YOU if you don't pay, but here's your car back", then yes, the painter is "playing by the rules" and deserves some modicum of respect. However, the painter is treating the disaggreement like a bar-room brawl instead, and as such, you can't sit back and be a nice guy, 'cause if you do you are gonna get sucker punched eventually.

In Robs case, he needs to use whatever leverage he can.......

(long and somewhat pointless story)........

An Example: Many years ago I sold my wife's old VW to a guy I worked with for about $800. He talked me way down from what was already a fair price (+$1k), claiming he was poor (even though I knew made ok $$, about $50k). I figured I would help him out, since he seemed like a good guy and I worked with him and all. The day came that I brought him the title and keys, and he showed up about $200 short., claiming we had agreed to a lower price (which was not true), but had his kids and girlfriend with him and said he really needed the car today, and I didn't want to embarass him infront of this kids & gf. So I say ok, its only $200, he'll pay me later. Well, he never does pay, but hey, its only $200 and he probably needs the cash more than I do. I'm happy the car is gone to someone who needs it.

A few months later I see the car in the parking garage with a dented front end, and the car still has my wife's out-of-state plates on it. I find that kind of strange. A few days later I get a call from some insurance company (not mine). They ask what insurance company I have covering the VW that Danny (the buyer) is in the process of buying from me (making payments to me they said). Said the car was in an accident with one of their customers who is injured, and Danny told them it was still my car (since it still had my wife's plates on it) and he had not "finished the transaction with me yet and was still paying me for it".

At this point I've reached the end of my rope. Danny doesn't work directly for me, but I've got some pull internally. He's not only talked me down because he was a "friend" (again, I agreed to it, but I'm going out of my way for him), and then stiffed my on a few $hondo, but now he's putting me at risk for real $$.

After taking a few deep breaths I calmly walk down to his desk (in the middle of a trading floor), sit down next to him, and tell him about the call. He starts trying to explain how maybe I can help him out by saying its still my car.........So I tell him: "Here's the deal, we are talking serious liability to me on this accident. If you didn't have the car insured its not my fault. If I ever hear from that insurance company again, or from anyone else about me being responsible, I am going to make sure you get fired.....I'll deny I ever said that, but trust me, I will. I told him "I don't care what you do, but I am not part of this." No yelling, no making a scene or telling other co-workers. Amazing.........I never heard about it again. Thats what a little leverage will get you.

OK, so why the long boring story?? THE MORAL is, when someone puts you in a crack you gotta use whatever leverage you have. This does not mean you HAVE TO embarass them or cause a scene, but if there was a relationship between the parties (due to working together) that probably helped get Rob comfortable about the paint guy in the first place (I'm sure the arseclown said something like "dude, we work together, you don't need a contract from me"), you gotta use that same relationship and leverage when you are getting screwed.

Rob, I hope it works out in the end. If nothing else, you've provided for some entertaining reading.

Last edited by txhedg; 09-08-2003 at 03:17 AM.
Old 09-08-2003, 06:31 AM
Robwsup
Racer

txhedg,
No hard feelings. Believe me, I'd like to go knock the windows out of every vehicle this guy owns.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:08 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My $.02... (1) Maintain your professionalism as you seem to be. In legal matters, this is smart. It will also reflect well in court. Keep your negotiations legal and "by the book". (2) Stop offering any kind of deal. You're in the right here, so go to court and let them help you. Again, the fact that you tried to offer a settlement will reflect well in court. (3) Don't have any sympathy for this MF'r. It's apparent he truly is trying to screw you over and should be put out of business. His lack of desire to go to court proves this. (If he were truly in the right, he'd be happy to go to court because in the end he'd own your car...but he's not.)

Good luck. I hope you can put this guy out of business and maybe your troubles will serve a greater purpose in this life...
Old 09-08-2003, 09:27 AM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

I still think that you should have and still need to get your human resources dept. involved in this. I mean this whole deal started at work, I'm sure you were commenting on needing a paint job, and he spoke up with how he could help, and it went from there, now he has your car, you've paid what was originaly agreed upon, and now he wants more, and won't return your property.

How is all this going to affect the company you guys work for? I mean is one of you going to look for another job as an outcome, if so, then the HR dept. should be involved.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:18 AM
Robwsup
Racer

I have talked to my HR rep, more to let them know what is going on, instead of them getting involved. This guy works for a permanent subcontractor and doesn't fall under the jurisdiction of our HR.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:28 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Red face

Sorry guys; I may have over-reacted. I have been very touchy since my mother's death. If the reference was to a ***** cat - okay. If it was to part of the female anatomy - I'm offended. My apologies for my previous outburst.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:33 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by MichelleJD
Sorry guys; I may have over-reacted. I have been very touchy since my mother's death. If the reference was to a ***** cat - okay. If it was to part of the female anatomy - I'm offended. My apologies for my previous outburst.
Since this is a automotive forum we could just use other words to replace words like the "P" word and we would all understand.

Like , how about

Stop acting like such a Honda.

Or this car is a piece of Yugo.

or

Rag toped sand rail... well, maybe not that one.

you get the idea.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:18 PM
Paul T.
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robwsup, I only have one thing to say to about this, CLEAN THIS MF'ers CLOCK!
Old 09-08-2003, 03:40 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

Or this car is a piece of Yugo.
ROFLMAO... :P
I've actually had my car called a Yugo once...

I know that was unrelated topic wise, but I had to

Quick Reply: Redneck Paint Job...continued