Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traded one oil leak for another!

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2003, 12:27 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Traded one oil leak for another!

I just finished replacing the oil cooler gasket/seals in order to stop a major oil leak. Got everything reassembled, fired it up, and theres more oil dripping out from under the engine at idle now than there was before. (from a totally different spot.Oil cooler's not leaking anymore). Turns out, the "new" leak is basically pouring out of the lower balance shaft's rear plug. Its so loose in there, its shaking and vibrating to beat the band with l a steady stream of oil coming out of it. It wasn't leaking before, but sure is now. The best I can figure is that I must have bumped the plug with the exhaust manifold when I removed/replaced it, thus breaking what little sealing action it had. I gave up on the car for tonight, shaking my head, but tomorow plan on cleaning up the rear plug area the best I can, and plugging/sealing the plug area with silicone seal. I'm not interested in taking everything apart just to replace this O ring seal, and everything else along the way.I'm sure some of the rest of you guys have done some similar repair to this same spot huh? Anything better to use for this than silicone seal? Thanks for letting me vent!
Oh, I've bought a cheap rigid borescope, and as soon as it arrives, I'll look at the cylinder walls of my smoking engine, and if their not scored up bad, I will be installing new standard size rings and rod bearings in this engine. Maybe I'll fix the O ring leak properly then.
Old 09-06-2003, 12:53 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

A good quick fix on this one is to get some brake kleen and hose it down good (use the whole can, but PLEASE... make sure you have lots of ventilation under there or you might pass out from the fumes... seriously) and make sure there is no oil anywhere around it, and then get some good Hi-temp RTV and very liberally cover up the area as you are suggesting. Spend the money for the best stuff you can, and you'll be surprised how long this repair will last. I did it on my 951 about three years ago and haven't had any problems with it since.

I just wish I could do this on the rear main seal...

Regards,

Quick Reply: Traded one oil leak for another!