Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why does P.O. ALWAYS = Dumba*s?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 11:56 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why does P.O. ALWAYS = Dumba*s?

Well, in the tear down these are a few of the things I have found. My wife is already bugging me about when I am going to have this car moving. Keeps getting further and further away!
Old 09-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Or this
Old 09-05-2003, 11:57 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Hey Matt. WHat's your favorite color for cars
Old 09-05-2003, 11:59 AM
Matt H
Race Director

and now I know why there was no hood badge in the pics I saw: BTW this car was maintained at T&D Performance in SAN FRAN. Balance shaft belt is so loose I can almost remove it without touching the tension and the cam seal is leaking though the belts appear to be nearly new.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:02 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Not white! Believe it or not, you get the best deals on cars that are abundant and less desirable, enter the color white. I am happy with the white 951 though, you see very few in white. I wonder how many are left. My last three cars prior to this very red but I didnt want another red 944 series. I recently saw one in green, that would have been real cool to have, you NEVER see those.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:12 PM
Bryans951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt,

I know how you feel. When I replaced my vaccum lines I found out why I was always putting out so much black smoke. The PO had run a rubber hose off of the fuel return damper through the firewall and into the pass. floor and left a bolt stuck in the end of it.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:13 PM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Old 09-05-2003, 12:24 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You knew you were going to find these things as you went along.

You still made out good on that car. Besides, what kind of ownership experience would it be if you didn't find crap like that hidden in there? All my p-cars have had bubblegum engineered fixes hidden somewhere.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:33 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Brian - you are right, I knew I would find them. I did do well on the car so it is no big deal. There is an oil leak which I am pretty sure is from the rear main. Too tired to get my fat a*s under there to check. If it is then I am going to pull the motor and do the clutch and reseal etc, etc, etc at the same time. Anyone want to help? The leak is not significant and I am still hopeful to have it ready by the 18th of October. Just going to wait on some of the upgrades for now. For the time being I need to tension the balance shaft belt and put it together to drive. I have had it 6 weeks and still havent registered it!
Old 09-05-2003, 12:52 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Matt,

I use T&D (Campbell, CA) and feel that they are a good shop. They have worked on all 3 of my Porsches, so they can do good work on both water and air cooled varieties. Notice I said CAN do good work. Alot of what is involved in good work is getting the owner to agree to fix what is needed. This costs $$$ and we all know that some owners will not spend what is necessary to do the job right or completely (especially if they are thinking about selling the car). T&D has made a mistake or 2 on my cars, but they have always made it right in the end, and on their nickel. And the mistakes they have made are relatively few and far between.

Just my 2 cents on the shop: I don't think that it was really their fault that you are finding the things you did. I think that the title of your post is more accurate.

Oh, and the disclaimer: I am not affiliated with T&D in any manner, other than that they are within walking distance from my house, they maintain my P-Cars, and they assist me in lowering my bank account balances (as if I couldn't do that well enough on my own).

Tom
Old 09-05-2003, 12:58 PM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Matt H
I have had it 6 weeks and still havent registered it!
Don't worry, it's not a real Texas car until you put a rock chip or a crack in the windshield.

Sorry I can't come up and help. My next free weekend is Nov 15-16. Typical. I have so little free time it gets booked well in advance.
Old 09-05-2003, 01:34 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

Hey, Matt this w/e is out for obvious reasons, next is my daughter's b-day, one after that is replacing a head with a friend in Katy...after that I'll need one to myself, so...Oct 4,5 looks open.
Old 09-05-2003, 02:10 PM
Geo
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SidViscous
Hey Matt. WHat's your favorite color for cars
PINK??

If you think find PO stupidities in cars is bad, wait untili you buy a house!
Old 09-05-2003, 05:45 PM
Matt H
Race Director

George, I am going to build my next house. The one I am renting now didnt sell because the interior walls were PEACH. I have painted the entire house, as well as replaced all light fixtures, ceiling fans, etc. The good news about a house is there is more room to move around!! I understand about the weekends. This is my last one at home for quite some time. I might skip Hallet just to have some time to myself. Luckily, I got this Thurs/Fri off but I have been working on the cars all weekend. Just dropped a significant portion on two new sets of tires.

TMH - I dont disagree (about the owners not fixing stuff correctly) I have run many auto service stores with my company. HOWEVER, the balance shaft belt is so loose that it would have come off in a matter of miles. I can see where the PO spent large portions of money so I dont know that that was the issue or not. There are a load of new parts on this car to include: new fuel pump, new brake booster, new master cylinder, new exhaust (needed cat to pass CA emissions last time), new filters,etc so I dont think he would have been shocked with buying a new intercooler pipe. My feeling is that maybe the shop damaged it and fixed like that because no one would ever notice (it was the underside of the intercooler pipe). That being said I already know that the PO was a dunce, I can see some of his wiring handywork. Lord knows how long it is going to take me to remove the wiring for the cell phone. It also looks like it might have had LOJACK at one point.

Quick Reply: Why does P.O. ALWAYS = Dumba*s?