Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Leak :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 04:28 PM
James_944
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently changed my pump and found that the short hose from the bottom of the tank to the pump inlet was shot to pieces internally.

It looked great at an inspection, no leaks, but it was upon re-installing the pump I found the hose had perished internally and small chunks of rubber were breaking off and travelling through the pump toward the filter.

I am convinced it would not have been much longer for the hose to start dripping........
Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 PM
mj951
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks for the follow up comments. I'm going to be replacing the fuel check valve located back by the pump and was planning on replacing the lines and filter too. After reading this thread I'll probably replace the original pump as well.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:41 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 128 Posts

Anybody got any good leads on re-doing the rear tank lines, without going through their family inheritance on them? all of my fittings are very rusted, and I didn't really want to drop like 300.00 on their re-do..If anyone can give me what AN fittings to use, I'll gladly do the Aeroquip thing. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:05 AM
James_944
Instructor

Originally Posted by mj951
Thanks for the follow up comments. I'm going to be replacing the fuel check valve located back by the pump and was planning on replacing the lines and filter too. After reading this thread I'll probably replace the original pump as well.
When I got my pump it came with a new fuel check valve.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:20 AM
James_944
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
Anybody got any good leads on re-doing the rear tank lines, without going through their family inheritance on them? all of my fittings are very rusted, and I didn't really want to drop like 300.00 on their re-do..If anyone can give me what AN fittings to use, I'll gladly do the Aeroquip thing. Thanks in advance.
Tank to pump is a simple fuel hose clamped with fuel grade clamps. The line from pump to filter on mine was just surface rust. Taking the line off I just cleaned up the fittings with a wire brush.

The filter to hardline hose (and in my opinion is the most complex section of hose to try and re-create) is where I had a lot of rust, and to make matters worse when I took that hose off I found the rubber was splitting at the fittings. I researched on creating a new hose using braided hose and AN fittings. You need an AN-6 metic adaptor to screw on the filter, then a length of hose with AN fittings, then I think you need another adaptor of some kind to go on the hardline, not to mention a pre bent section of hardline behind the filter which avoids a hose bending beyond its radius.

To be honest I decided it was easier and cheaper to just buy a new Porsche hose.

The part number for the filter to hardline is 95135604703.

I had also found a non-pressurised breather hose had started to split and it was due to a metal clamp rusting and eating into the fabric and rubber.

I have not found any other issues at the back around the tank.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:41 PM
jimlam56
Advanced

I hope y'all don't mind me dredging up an old thread, but I am leaking fuel in the fuel pump area also. It only leaks hard when the car is running, barely drips when not.
So I searched...
The hose from the pump to the tank is new, and as far as I can see the connection from the fuel filter (also new) looks dry. So that leaves the fuel pump, but I can't see it well enough without depressurizing and disconnecting the battery so I can remove and inspect.
So my questions are, where does the pump leak? And is the Bosch pump that much better than the ones I see that are a fraction of the cost? By the way, mine is an 86 Turbo with 152K and the original pump with the rubber housing protecting it.
Thanks,
Jim
Old 08-06-2016, 08:04 PM
tempest411
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by jimlam56
I hope y'all don't mind me dredging up an old thread, but I am leaking fuel in the fuel pump area also. It only leaks hard when the car is running, barely drips when not.
So I searched...
The hose from the pump to the tank is new, and as far as I can see the connection from the fuel filter (also new) looks dry. So that leaves the fuel pump, but I can't see it well enough without depressurizing and disconnecting the battery so I can remove and inspect.
So my questions are, where does the pump leak? And is the Bosch pump that much better than the ones I see that are a fraction of the cost? By the way, mine is an 86 Turbo with 152K and the original pump with the rubber housing protecting it.
Thanks,
Jim
From my experience working at an auto parts store for many years I can tell you off-brand fuel pumps are a non-starter. They fail at an incredible rate. I bought a new Bosch unit on Amazon and it wasn't that much. All those fuel lines back there aren't very expensive either. Have the ones up in front by the engine been changed yet?
Old 08-06-2016, 09:45 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 154 Posts

I'm actually working on R&Ring the tank area fuel system on my 84. All new bushings, hardware, strainer, filter and fuel lines; I sent the pump to filter line to Len Cummings up in Stow, MA for a complete rebuild since Porsche discontinued them a while back. Looking forward to finalizing this...
Old 08-06-2016, 10:07 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, the original Bosch pumps ARE better. It took mine ('84 from new) about 25 years before it began to leak internally. First leaving a few drips on the floor, then in a couple of days a large puddle a foot in diameter.

The others available are cheaper but they also do NOT last as long as the o.e. pumps. I have replaced about 4 of them on my cars and notice the others were changed out by the time I got the cars used, even the low mileage ones. The only one I have not done is the newly purchased '86 white car with an original pump still fitted.

It won't surprise me greatly if it starts to leave a puddle soon.... and I will replace it with an o.e. fitment Bosch precisely for the same reasons the others now have them installed.

Dependability.
Old 08-07-2016, 10:56 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 112 Posts

After installing a bad brand new Bosch fuel pump in my truck (dropping the tank to do so) I switched to cheap Chinese pumps and have had no problems with them over many years and miles. If you are careful not to get "white box" cheapo stuff direct from China you can get good quality for a great price. I do think that many white box parts are QC fails bought by the dumpster load and re-sold on ebay, and those are bad parts from the get-go so look to the seller and their reputation. A seller in the USA or Europe preferably as these sellers will not want to sell junk and deal with returns.

Walbros are well regarded also and I think a kit with fittings is under $100 for one, however there are a lot of counterfeit Walbros on the market so again you'd want to look at the seller's rep.

-Joel.

I have heard good things about some of the 044-style pumps but maybe they do not stand the test of time.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:44 PM
jimlam56
Advanced

Originally Posted by tempest411
From my experience working at an auto parts store for many years I can tell you off-brand fuel pumps are a non-starter. They fail at an incredible rate. I bought a new Bosch unit on Amazon and it wasn't that much. All those fuel lines back there aren't very expensive either. Have the ones up in front by the engine been changed yet?
Yes, Albert Broadfoot recently went through the car and replaces all the hoses, including the one from the pump to the tank.
The car hadn't been driven for about a year previous to the overhaul, but I have since put on over 600 miles of varied driving speed.
I guess it was time for a 30 year old pump with 150K miles to give up the ghost...
Old 08-07-2016, 02:42 PM
ried
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love these old cars but, my god, when all of this random **** fails (and sometimes catastrophically) it really makes me want to say "Nope. Not anymore. Time to move on. No more 944s or 951s for you."

Rubber timing belts, engine mounts, fuel lines, brake lines, yada yada... Not to mention water pumps, hatch seals, relays, 16-hour clutch jobs, you-name-it.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:17 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 154 Posts

That's what makes these cars a hobbyist's dream. There are some (ok, me) that enjoy wrenching as much as driving them. Especially when you get behind the wheel after a job well done.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:40 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
The others available are cheaper but they also do NOT last as long as the o.e. pumps. I have replaced about 4 of them on my cars and notice the others were changed out by the time I got the cars used, even the low mileage ones. The only one I have not done is the newly purchased '86 white car with an original pump still fitted.
I agree. The OE fuel pumps are quite well made and designed to last. Best not to skimp on something that can be a fire hazard.
Old 08-10-2016, 09:29 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pfarah7
That's what makes these cars a hobbyist's dream. There are some (ok, me) that enjoy wrenching as much as driving them. Especially when you get behind the wheel after a job well done.
+1

Quick Reply: Fuel Leak :(