Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Member With a Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 02:43 PM
BoulderGeek
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't mean to derail this discussion, but could i get clarification on an item above?

What's up with admonishing against charging the battery still connected to the car?

Should I NOT be using a battery tender if the car sits a while?

I use them on my FI motorcycles without issue. Thanks, and back to regularly scheduled programming.
Old 07-23-2015, 03:47 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IronicTonic
I'm fairly certain I've covered the basics and then some. I checked each system individually. I have fuel pressure, injectors are receiving pulse (possibly stuck), I have spark. DME is working.

I am guilty of charging once while the battery was connected and I have jumped it several times while trying to start.
It's not a good practice to jump our cars or use a quick charger while the battery is connected (battery tenders are ok.) It often has the unfortunate side effect of frying the DME, the DME relay and/or other bits.

I'd verify the DME is not only working, but working correctly.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:47 PM
IronicTonic
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

I want to update everyone because the car is running again.

It turns out the cat was completely clogged. I replaced it with a straight pipe for testing and the car fires right up, drives well, but has very weak acceleration. It only wants to accelerate under partial throttle and it stutters under WOT.

My initial thoughts are the coil pack. The rest of the ignition system is brand new (plugs, wires, distributor, rotor). It idles just fine any cruises well. Light throttle acceleration feels ok too. I'll be running a few more tests to determine what's wrong. Before the cat clogged the car pulled hard all the way to redline without a hitch. Lots of torque and power available, zero hesitation or stutter.

I appreciate the responses.

Thanks

Quick Reply: New Member With a Question