Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thurbocharger removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015 | 11:33 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mytrplseven

Still a ways to go and I can't wait to get him back on the road. "Him"? Yeah, It's a white 951 so I named it "Casper".
Casper? Hmm... Verrrry interrresting! I just happen to own a 1989 S2 of the Alpine White variety and I'm pretty sure mine is a female. Perhaps we should introduce them eh? I'm almost certain her name is Camile but it might be Connie. Connie I think, yep I think Connie. Definitely!

I've only owned Connie since August. I've been under her (OK, there I go) at least 100 hours and to be honest, I think she's making moves on me. Really.

She want's 17" Turbo Twists and a diamond anklet. She's started talking about having her own garage in Barbados. Pre-nup? What's SOP on this? Think I need representation? She's a big girl and she's very powerful.
Lots and lots of low end torque.

I've always liked her rear end. Maybe they should meet? We could have puppies? What's Casper's stud fee?
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2015 | 12:37 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Otto, I think you've been inhaling Brake Clean fumes again. Maybe we both have. The car looks great. I can't wait to get mine finished so I can install the Martini racing graphics I have. I'm doing an homage to the 951 Martini racing cars. It'll certainly be fun to take it to car events.
Attached Images   
Old 04-23-2015 | 12:56 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Yep. It's not just me, although today it was brake cleaner, ether and aerosol paint fumes. I just finished sandblasting my "new" 1985 torque tube and today I laid down the first 4 coats of primer. I had the garage door open while I did it but it may have had a small effect...

We really should get together sometime, I waited nearly two years to find just the right 944 to put Martini graphics on, I've been planning it for at least 10 years but didn't get serious until I got close to finishing my 928, which is Black on Black. Since I bought it back in '85 I've sort of regreted my choice of color; it's beautiful when it's clean, which lasts about 10 minutes. I swear it rolls in the dirt after I wash it. Thirty years of punishment convinced me white was the only color Porsche should have offered (well, maybe Anthracite, but only on the 930 .

I can't wait to see your car when you get the graphics on, or is that it in the lower photo? I'm still shopping for designs myself and thinking of using vinyl too, I assume that's what your doing?
Old 04-23-2015 | 10:46 AM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Yeah, mine is vinyl. It has uv protectant in the mix so it's not supposed to fade quickly. I'm not leaving the car parked in the sun so I expect a long life of the vinyl. I bought it from a company in England and they were very supportive, especially when I wanted a longer section of one product to my specs. I went on google and researched Martini racing graphics on Porsches and got a ton of great pics to go from. Below is another example:

I'm keeping the stuff stored, along with the sponsor decals I've purchased until the car is completely finished with everything else. Seats are going to Tampa to be reupholstered, Turbo's coming out today and off to Evergreen for rebuild and a ton of other stuff.

Where are you located? I'd gladly trade a lift for jack-stands.

Last edited by mytrplseven; 07-11-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-23-2015 | 12:18 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Where are you located? I'd gladly trade a lift for jack-stands.
Central CA coast. Right now I'm in the process of moving to Atascadero, small town north of San Luis Obispo. I'm pretty attached to the lift too and if whoever buys the house doesn't want it I'll have to face the task of taking it apart and shipping it to a new home. I'm hoping someone will buy it, I'd rather not have to take it apart and put it together, putting it together was bad enough.

I've been doing the same googling, I don't know if I've seen the drawing you posted here, I like it!
Old 04-23-2015 | 05:19 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Central CA coast. Right now I'm in the process of moving to Atascadero, small town north of San Luis Obispo. I'm pretty attached to the lift too and if whoever buys the house doesn't want it I'll have to face the task of taking it apart and shipping it to a new home. I'm hoping someone will buy it, I'd rather not have to take it apart and put it together, putting it together was bad enough.

I've been doing the same googling, I don't know if I've seen the drawing you posted here, I like it!
I know where just about every town in CA is. I was raised there and in AZ. I lived in Mt. View and San Ramon. I flew Charter planes all over the central valley out of Fresno.

I've run into another maddening road block. I can't get any of my dozen wrenches into the tight recess of the turbocharger mount to remove the 13mm bolt that attaches it to the block. I'm soooo close to getting the darn thing off and as usual, it's down to one Bolt!
Old 04-23-2015 | 05:29 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

You have got to have THE left-handed whitworth hazet wrench with the wobble top to get this guy out..! And the wobbly inverted extension to put it on..Lube generously with blinker fluid and it will pop right out !!!

LOL! sorry couldn't resist..in all acutality..good luck..I'm certain that it will be off soon..might have to use a blue tip wrench or a dremel to help...
Old 04-23-2015 | 09:09 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Originally Posted by Tiger03447
You have got to have THE left-handed whitworth hazet wrench with the wobble top to get this guy out..! And the wobbly inverted extension to put it on..Lube generously with blinker fluid and it will pop right out !!!

LOL! sorry couldn't resist..in all acutality..good luck..I'm certain that it will be off soon..might have to use a blue tip wrench or a dremel to help...
Now that's funny. I did, however, find what may be the answer via another poster. It's a short 13mm socket with a universal on it over at Sears. Takes up a minimum amount of space and with a modicum of penetrant, should knock it loose.
Old 04-23-2015 | 09:18 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

I know where just about every town in CA is. I was raised there and in AZ. I lived in Mt. View and San Ramon. I flew Charter planes all over the central valley out of Fresno.

I've run into another maddening road block. I can't get any of my dozen wrenches into the tight recess of the turbocharger mount to remove the 13mm bolt that attaches it to the block. I'm soooo close to getting the darn thing off and as usual, it's down to one Bolt!
It's always down to one bolt, until it's the next bolt

Here's a setup I found pretty useful in a very tight space, maybe it could be adapted? The nice part is it deletes the fat ratchet and replaces it with something close to a box end wrench with a socket head. Just an idea, you're in virgin territory for me

https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...l#post12100120
Old 04-23-2015 | 09:23 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

BTW, on the subject of lifts; best money I ever spent on a tool. I'd sell a lathe, mill and a lot of other specialty tools to buy a lift. Without a lift I would not be working on cars anymore. They're worth every penny you spend on them and more.

Buy a lift. You will not be sorry.
Old 04-23-2015 | 10:14 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

I wish I had room for a lift. The other thing is my wife's always talking about moving somewhere else. I just have to "fly the pieces", as we said in the aviation business.

By the way, here's the link for the socket from sears: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-13mm-...p-00943204000P
Old 04-24-2015 | 02:53 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Default Finally!

I finally used the short socket from Sears and I got the Turbo removed.
It's off to the rebuild shop and now I can get into the original reason I disassembled 1/2 the front of my car: the AOS seals. Great engineering.

Last edited by mytrplseven; 07-11-2015 at 11:21 PM.
Old 04-24-2015 | 04:49 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Congratulations. On to the next bolt?
Old 04-24-2015 | 05:29 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Now on to the AOS seals and cleaning the oil out of the intercooler.
Old 04-24-2015 | 10:38 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

All the guys at the Nissan shop that I used to hang out at had a full set of "wobbly-sockets"..couldn't afford them from Snappy...glad to hear that Sears has them..sounds like it might be time for a full set of metrics. Glad to hear that you got the turbo out...saw your post on the "favorite" bolt column...

Quick Reply: thurbocharger removal