Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Porsche was stolen today...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:30 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Tom, it's sad to see something happen like this to a nice guy. Let's hope either you get a decent settlement from the insurance co or the car comes home in one piece.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:35 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Being a suspicious guy from NYC originally, I suspect your mechanic (or someone who works with him)! Why would the car be stolen RIGHT after you put so much $$ into it??

Just a thought. Hope you get the car back. I assume you called the Nassau cnty Cops?
Old 09-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bring lots of independent / 3rd party sales data for the adjuster - eBay, autotrader, Panorama, anything. Nice thing about eBay is that the listing info shows bids - proves that there is a market. Just like a real estate appraisal, the more data you bring in to qualify your position, the more likely they will budge. Substantiate as much as possible with your bills, etc. and show them that the market DOES value these things. Just remember, that adjuster's job is to pay out as little as possible! So go prepared for war!

This eBay auction http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2429508407 kinda supports that - 115,000 mile car is up to $14K and reserve is not met - 4 people making 9 bids so far, and that is for a sight unseen 14 y.o. car!

BTW, you have one of the best avatars I've seen on any forum! just wait til she's old enough to drive!
Old 09-03-2003, 10:07 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice thing about insurance is that you dont have to accept the claim. Tell them to sod off unless you are dying for the money. They offered me 1500 bucks for an 84 Camaro that had a 5K dollar motor in it and a 3K dollar paint job. I told them to kiss my *** and by the time I was done walked away with about 10K which was fine with me since I had nothing in the paint. When my 91 RX was totaled by hail they offered me 5800 dollars for it which I happily took but was sure I was going to have to argue to get. BTW, Randy is correct, bring all kinds of 3rd party information. Matter of fact you can bring past issues of excellence, bring some of the PCA national mags (this is best because those cars ALWAYS command a premium, PCA members tend to overvalue their stuff, I know :>), you might avoid autotrader unless the market is strong where you are. BTW sorry to hear about the car and your friend, you are taking both better than I would.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

Guys,
thanks. i submitted the form to PCA for a valuation, but forgot to tell them the spare and tool set never were used.

i am bookmarking that ebay auction.

This car was stolen about thirty feet from where my 92 legend coupe with a few miles more than 34567 miles was stolen from in 98.

Andy, am i correct with the mileage being about 95k when you bought the car? i just add another 1000 to the motor and i am at the same bottom line number.

when my legend was stolen geico offered me an insultingly low amount. the only car i could find was a car offered by some corner used car lot with 40k more miles for 1k more than geico offered. i contacted every acura dealer looking for a legend coupe with under 40k miles. i sent them the list, and told them i would add the difference in book values to one of the newer cars with the same mileage a dealer offered, and geico add the rest.

they upped the offer pronto, and a few days later i found my second legend coupe in the local paper. i found a near perfect 93 with 22k miles about 15 miles from home in june 98.
Old 09-03-2003, 11:30 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tom- I had 97k on the car when I bought it. With the drive home from Va, and about 2 months of ownership, the car now has about 98.5k on it! I gotta get those shocks/control arms/968 rims on so I can DRIVE the car!
Old 09-04-2003, 12:13 AM
JDeitz951
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's no market for stolen 944s or parts. You'll probably get it back after a joy ride. Hope it's not trashed or crashed!
Old 09-04-2003, 12:18 AM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Old 09-04-2003, 02:00 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

keep us posted
Old 09-04-2003, 02:33 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope it was only a joyride - and I wish your friend better health!

A friend of mine has had a colostomy bag since he was a boy scout, and he's in his 50's now, still going strong, so there is hope your friend can have a full recovery.

- Julie
Old 09-04-2003, 02:45 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry to hear about the car, i live on the Island also, and when i am back on the weekends will keep a lookout for any similar looking car. My parents house is located in Oyster Bay (Nassau County) but i just moved into my dorm in New Jersey.

Originally posted by billybones
I know this sounds stupid, But when I park in a high risk area. I pop the hood and pull the wire from the center of the distributor off.. sorry to hear of your loss. I hope they don't find it though.. if they do the perps. probably beat the **** out of it.. Most Joy rides, aka find the car. Ussually is just that. seen to many bent frames and such. and the ins. company does not care. Better to get the money. and start over.
Ive started doing similar. I just moved in at my college (Rider University, right by Trenton...anyone from the area?). I have my 924S parked pretty far away in a large parking lot. I pulled the fuel relay and have it in my desk, and my dad recommended pulling that coil also. I doubt a car theif would even take the car as it just dosent have that sex appeal in a 944, but for the benefit of the doubt i feel much better. Now i just need to worry about bird droppings, and dents and chips in the paint.

A real good friend of my dad used to be a former car theif. He was the lead in a large autotheft ring on Long Island (he really isnt all that bad a guy, real nice). Anyway he was caught and did six years i think. He was telling me that the 944/924S was a pain in the *** to chop. They would cut the car in half, but getting the fuel tank out from under the tranny took almost a whole day. Hes taught me alot about breaking into cars (Not that i do it), pretty interesting stuff. He taught me a trick they used to do on the older 80's early 90's Corvettes, or any sport cars for that matter. since the battery is in a similar position as the 944 series, they would take a sledge hammer and punch a hole right in the fiberglass of the fender and unhook the battery cables which resets any alarm system. Interesting stuff....he told me after he got put away, their was a headline in the paper that read
"Car theft down 35% since autotheft ring shut down" and that it was directly related to him. He told me a funny quote once... "Im not a bad guy, i told my guys never to touch a car with a baby seat, i didnt want some mother coming back with her kid to find the car missing. I told them to lay off cars with handi-cap plates, and i really meant it with cars from the clergy".

Quick Reply: My Porsche was stolen today...