Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with tightening cab top

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 10:32 PM
apitts73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help with tightening cab top

Ive done alot of searches on this my problem, but nothing specific about the 2 front latches to tighten the top to the windshield came up.

Problem,
The two front latches use a rolling wheel(?) that tightens the top to the windshield.When i go over bumps the top rattles pretty bad. From in the car when i reach out and pull down on the top it will get a bit closer/better seal to the windshield. When i drive and pull the roof down towards me the rattles stop.And the wheel wheel that rolls gets loose.

Is there an adjustment to that latch to just tighten the top a little bit more. The rest of the top is tight and looks new and i believe the last owner took it to a top shop to put on the top.

Both the windshield seal and top seal looks in good shape.

If i cant adjust the latch...are there any suggestions to fix this,minus going to an expensive top shop?

Thanks in advance
Adam
Old 03-12-2015, 02:10 AM
azbanks
Freedom Enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is just the opposite. I have to pull down REALLY hard to get the latch to close and it is locked down TIGHT.

The fact that ours are so different leads me to believe there must be some kind of adjustment.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:20 PM
apitts73
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i will be surprised if there isnt an adjustment....ive never owned a cab before so i want to make sure i do it right!
Old 03-12-2015, 05:02 PM
EliteThink
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My experience is it takes some serious evaluation. Often the shops who replace the tops really struggle to get it right. I had to take mine back, they could not figure out how to get my top to lock, then finally said to replace all the hardware. And of course complained it was a Porsche. I took her home, and had to fix it myself. You should be able to adjust it in some way. Keep us posted.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 134 Posts

Dear APitts: since I have just finished reading the thread, I would think that the guide pins may have become loose and backed out a 1/2-3/4 of a turn, making the top loose on the frame. does the motor shut off and the light go out like it should? does the top actuate properly? Unlock, then go back, then return, and relock OK? You might want to lube the joints in the lowering mechanism too, just in case there is extra drag in the arms and linkage..just some thought, thanks, tiger 03447
Old 10-17-2019, 09:31 AM
Gus
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Can Top Adjustment

Been a long time since I played with adjustments in a cab too but- if I recall correctly - to adjust top angle you need to back out transmission bolts so you can move too freely by hand. This allows gearing to float freely. These are on the left/right side of rear seat area behind circular plastic cover - believe 17mm. Also you will need to adjust micro switch on top located on right side behind transmission/ behind side cover. You
also need to check drive cable length and connection to motor. These cable tend to get shorter over years of use. Also check engage of cable in motor to ensure ends are square and not rounded. All this is directly in middle of rear panel/carpet that has to be removed for access to both motors.
The front latches that pull the top down to the windshield have there own micro switches internally and are difficult to repair, but also very expensive to replace. I never had issues in this area as most adjustments made in back fixed issues I had which were similar to yours. Hope this helps some.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:56 PM
ElRicardo
Pro

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts

Couple of thoughts here- I own a '90 cab and replaced the top 2 years ago when I bought it as a basket case. I converted it to manual (it is simply detaching the '"lift arms" from the motors behind the panels adjacent to the rear "seats" and this took the whole electric motor adjustment out of the equation. I don't know anyone who still uses the motors, but I live a sheltered life. The purpose of the latches, apart from holding the whole front down, is to have proper compression of the rubber seals that the top mates onto and weatherseals it. I would wonder if your seals have collapsed or degraded to the point where they are not pressing up to snug the top. I had to replace mine with an aftermarket seal and that tightened up a loose top (mine was "floppy" too). So try looking at that as well.

Quick Reply: help with tightening cab top