Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cleaning fuel injector ports?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 02:52 PM
lucas1212
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cleaning fuel injector ports?

Im changing the fuel injectors in my 83 944 and i was wondering if theres any way to clean the fuel injector ports while im in there.
If anybody has any cool tricks let me know. Thanks everyone.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you mean the fuel rail ports, or the injector nozzles, or what?

Techron comparable fuel additive from Costco works, added to the tank. Takes a while to work.

Otherwise, if you're referring to the fuel rail ports, why not disconnect the fuel relay (to eliminate power to the system), then disconnect the fuel line at the incoming and outgoing ends, then plug the rail at the injector holes, then fill the fuel rail with carb cleaner, acetone, or other suitable solvent?

If referring to the injectors themselves, see the YouTube video I posted a couple of days ago on the 944 Turbo forum, where a guy just uses an old tire valve stem to join the injector to a spray can of carb cleaner, and alligator clips and a small battery to open the injectors. That way, you can see the spray pattern. Probably smart to start by back-flushing them, i.e., squirt from the nozzle end and out the intake end, to flush out any crud in the little screen. Then re-apply in normal flow direction.

You probably already have the parts to do this, which include an old tire valve stem or similar (stretchy enough for make a tight seal on the injector ends) , alligator clips, a AA battery, and a spray can of carb cleaner with straw. Otherwise, Wally sells the carb cleaner for about $3/can, and their tire shop will give use you a used valve stem, just remove the Shreder valve to make it into a tube. Or rig up something similar with, say, a short length of flexible fuel hose.

Quick Reply: cleaning fuel injector ports?