Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I really hate leaks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 11:15 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry I really hate leaks.

I have an oil leak that I'm trying to pin down so today I used up 2 cans of BrakeKleen and got the entire area of the leak squeaky clean. I drove the car a little after cleaning it and the put it back on the jackstands. I was hoping for a loose oil pressure sender or oil line but they look ok. I can't tell exactly where it's coming from but the only things in the area that it could be are:
1. Lower balance shaft seal (I'm actually hoping this is it, this is the easiest of the 3 possibilities)
2. Oil cooler housing. ( big PITA to remove)
3. Oil pan gasket (least likely but with my luck you never know)
I think the only way to be sure is to remove the power steering pump. The oil drips off the bottom of it. I just can't see where it's coming from with the pump in the way.
If it turns out to be the oil pan gasket, I'm going to hold off until winter and then do the rod bearings at the same time.

I did do a little shadetree toe adjustment while the car was up on stands and it doesn't pull to the left anymore.
Old 09-01-2003, 01:31 AM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 53 Posts

Pete... not sure what's up for this upcoming weekend, but if I am not working, I can shoot up there and help investigate.

How much oil did you dump out on the drive Saturday?
Old 09-01-2003, 08:35 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by Perry 951
Pete... not sure what's up for this upcoming weekend, but if I am not working, I can shoot up there and help investigate.

How much oil did you dump out on the drive Saturday?
Not much. The dipstick shows full.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:58 AM
Mr. Avionics
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pete,

I had a similar leak, turned out to be the oil cooler seals, knew it had a slight leak into the coolant but got worse fast. At first hard to tell where it was coming from, but when I removed the cooler housing it became very obvious. all gaskets/seals dried up and brittle. The airflow spreads the oil arround making it hard to find the source. Now all is just ducky. Did trash a brake pad tho with all the oil going out thru the wheel, no biggie, they needed replacement anyway.

Just some thoughts.
Bill
Old 09-01-2003, 09:21 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I'm thinking that I may do the oil cooler seals, balance shaft seals, and pan gasket/rod bearings all at the same time. Might as well do 'em all together and get it done with.

Quick Reply: I really hate leaks.