Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front brake rotor help!

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 01:47 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
Default front brake rotor help!

I'm rebuilding the entire brake system on my newly acquired '86 944 Turbo.
I've done Porsche brakes and rotors before but this one has me stumped. In the pictures there's an extra hub held on to the main hub that looks like a spacer with bolts for wheels. This hub is bolted through rotor and I have removed all 5 bolts (see inside rotor picture). I had to pull the entire assembly off the spindle to get a wrench on the back nuts. I've never seen this arrangement before on any 944 and it doesn't show up on any videos I researched.

My question now is: since all of the bolts holding the hub to the rotor are removed, is the hub also pressed into the rotor center or should it come apart? I doesn't want to come apart and I don't want to bugger it up without someone who's familiar with this thing giving me the proper advice. I've circled the pictures to show where the mating line is between the rotor and the hub in question.
Attached Images     
Old 02-28-2015, 03:06 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That is the standard set up on all early offset 944 models. The rotor is mounted to the rear of the hub rather than being slid on top. Just lightly tap the back of the hub with a hammer and it should separate from the face of the rotor hat. Sometimes they get stuck due to light corrosion.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:24 PM
mytrplseven
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm afraid it took more than a tap. I used an old brake pad as a face to put agains the seal side of the hub so I wouldn't distort the hub center and then I had to "pursuade" it with a 6# hand sledge. I cleaned up the mating surfaces and put the new rotors back on. This car is fighting me at every turn. Thanks for your input, friend. I'm sure I'll be back. :P
Old 02-28-2015, 09:17 PM
Dimi 944
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mytrplseven
I'm afraid it took more than a tap. I used an old brake pad as a face to put agains the seal side of the hub so I wouldn't distort the hub center and then I had to "pursuade" it with a 6# hand sledge. I cleaned up the mating surfaces and put the new rotors back on. This car is fighting me at every turn. Thanks for your input, friend. I'm sure I'll be back. :P
I am sorry to hear it took more than a tap but I am glad you made it through.
I am glad to help with what I know. Good luck!

Quick Reply: front brake rotor help!