Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Was Taunted, and I Gave In.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2003, 01:14 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool I Was Taunted, and I Gave In.

I do not like to do the whole road race thing as I feel as if it's just too stupid and risky, but (there's always a butt) I was going down the 2 lane highway this afternoon in my car just taking her out for a stroll and a red Eclipse (newer style) comes flyin' up behind me. He orignally tales me as I'm doing around 55-60 and then backs off. As soon as the highway turns into 4 lanes he shoots around me and I assume wants to pass me. I was wrong. He gets next to me and keeps launching his car by stepping on and off of the accelerater. I look over and it's about a 18-20 y/o kid in a new red Eclipse.

I know I should have let him go as I have nothing to prove and am sure I can beat him, but I guess we all have weak moments... so I downshifted to 3rd and let her go. Here is where it gets interesting, my boost didn't initially kick in so he got about 5-10 feet infront of me (we're still side by side though his bumper was only 5-10 ft infront of mine) and as my boost comes on strong he was hanging for about 1-2 secs and then as my rpm's climb near red line and I was ready to shift into 4th and I looked over at him and I was about 1.5 car lengths ahead of him and I was doing about 85. The highway came to a stop (stop light that is) and we both off ramped to the West on another 4 lane highway. At this point (he slowed way down in the onramp) I was so far ahead that I backed off thinking what's the point I beat him right!!! Well he then flies by me as I'm coast around 45-50 mph waiting for him to catch up (he was obviously mad) and just keeps going.

Here's my question, how fast are the new Eclipse's? Do the newest generations have turbos? He followed me for about 2-3 miles before the 2 lane highway changed into 4 and we eventually went at it so I'm sure he saw quite clearly that I was driving a Porsche with a Turbo. With this knowledge most of his kind would have backed off but he taunted me still???

I did see after I slowed down and as he continued to fly by that he had an aftermarket fart can on it but other than that and the windshield sticker it looked pretty much stock.

Yeah I won but the car did impress me a little. I guess I just wasn't expecting much so when he hung for a second or two I was impressed!

What are you guys' thoughts on the Eclipse and my questions?
Old 08-31-2003, 01:17 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother has one...they're alright...certaintly no competition for a 951S...especially a chipped one.

0-60 in about 7 secs.

They are a 3.0L N/A V6 around 205hp.

With springs, shocks and a rear swaybar...it handles pretty nicely.
Old 08-31-2003, 01:24 AM
Jerad
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha, don't worry about it Cory, most people have done the same as you but have not admitted it. Like Adrial said the newer Eclipses have no turbo.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:26 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

rs/gs: 2.4l inline 4 147hp
gt: 3.0l v6 200hp
gts: 3.0l v6 210hp
Old 08-31-2003, 04:17 AM
crushingday
Burning Brakes

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Cory. Is your turbo stock?
Old 08-31-2003, 12:55 PM
MAS
Racer

Some stock Eclipses are 0-60 in about 6.6 seconds. About 205 hp (turbo) in a car that weighs about the same as an earlier NA 944. If he's running a higher boost (which is quite likely), he could easily be in 951 territory. Lots of aftermarket chips, etc. for these cars. Whether the modded car will last as long as a 951 is another matter

-MAS
Old 08-31-2003, 02:04 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I know a kid in my area with the GTS Eclipse, it was faster than i thought. Only thing i dont like about that car is rearword visability is terrible. I think the biggest advantage of the 944/924 series is that not many people know what to expect outta the car. For some reason people from my school thought i was driving some insane turbo charged car, people even said to me..."yea 0-60 on your 924S is like 4 seconds right". And i just say.."uh yea i guess". Whats even funnier is that people think im running nitrous, i have one of those red cover toggle switches on my dash for controlling my foglamps, and next to that is the stable energies fire extinguisher mount. all my friends tell kids "yea thats a bottle of nitrous man".

On the subject of the Eclipse, my friend showed me a video of some kid doing some street races with an Eclipse, he drag races some guy at the light and is beating him...then you just hear the engine sputter out and die. The kid says "OH MAN MY DADS GONNA KILL ME!". Its just the way the kid says it that makes it so damn funny. They get the car home and all you see are pieces of the engine block or something sitting next to the car...the father comes out and goes "WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED!". Ill see if i can get the video from him.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:07 PM
James86-951
Pro

As said before. The new body style does not have a turbo. I had a GS n/a for about 5 months. It's ok, but not anything to be concerned about. Yes, it will burn the front tires at a light; but who cares? That's about all it can do. (I had a 4cyl.)
Old 08-31-2003, 02:25 PM
incessant
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sure everyone has had their moments.
I once had the fortune (mis?) of finding myself behind a Shelby Cobra kit car. I succumb to the challenge. Quite a rush. It was a two lane windy back road. To be expected, he dusted my at every straight, and I caught right back up at every turn.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:34 PM
dave120
Drifting

The newer Eclipses shouldn't be that much of a match for a 951, seeing as I've yet to see one that'll hold against my S2 (not that I street race all the time, very rarely actually, but I seem to live in the Eclipse and Corvette capital of the world here) And I don't stoplight race..but once in a while on long open highways a 45-90 mph run can be fun,what can I say.

The older ones that have a turbo though are another story..they can push 300hp without breaking a sweat sometimes if the right things are done to it. But I still wouldn't want one
Old 08-31-2003, 02:49 PM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Default Re: I Was Taunted, and I Gave In.

Originally posted by GOBOGIE

With this knowledge most of his kind would have backed off but he taunted me still???

I find people to challenge us thinging that we are driving a poormans porsche. To there surprise BOOM they get smoked. Unfortunates we can not race here to many deaths now. Cops are at the point where they will shoot us .

I used togo to the street races at night in the industrial areas, god that was fun. I never raced but it was so well organized for a bunch of hoodlums heehe. No crashes that I can ever remember. The turn out of people was well in the hundreds I kid you not. Mostly 5.0 rustangs and muscle power.

I can remember the most memorable race, a chevy nova pulled up beside a GSX-R 750, ninja 900 and a CBR of some sort. My god the nove pulled so hard them and left about 3-4 car lengths behind by the time the track ended lol. The bikes headed straight home :P. He had an output of 500HP with a 300shot of nitrous. It gets better a white corvette challenged him and blew the novas doors off I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT! The nova rematched the vette and his front tires of the ground for a second loss.

I have these on tape I will try and put them on my computer for anyone who wants to see the races.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Id like to see that Chevy Nova video. I had a similar encounter with a awsome Chevy Nova in my area. I was skating with my friends one day and we were standing at the corner of the street to cross. A Chevy Nova was in the turning lane, this guy had drag slicks that were as wide as 2 of my tires at the least. And it was friggin loud! Next to him was your typical VW Jetta..wheels and exhaust type getup. Anyway my friend Dave and i are going "NICE CAR MAN! LIGHT EM UP!. Light goes green and he takes of real slow..so my friend Dave goes "YOU SU......! HOLY CRAP YEEEEEEA!!". He didnt even get to finish the 'You Suck" because by the time he said suck...that Nova took off like a bat outta hell completley blowing by that Jetta.
Old 08-31-2003, 02:58 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Michael on the board used to own a new eclipse turbo. It was pretty fast, but nothing great. Up about 60 and on it really isn't even worth mentioning as a fast car. Low end, 1st and 2nd, in the car is pretty good, but thats it.
Old 08-31-2003, 04:24 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm talking about S2's and 944 turbo's did you hear last night there was this 944 1987 turbo that got beat in 1st and 2nd gear and got ahead only after mid 3rd gear? hehehe ohhh not to mention this S2 was a cab with a full tank and a passanger...
Old 08-31-2003, 04:27 PM
volv4life
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

yeah.. i got it on tape, well most of it :-P

Quick Reply: I Was Taunted, and I Gave In.