Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 a "mature" car

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003 | 08:58 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I would have to agree with the teenager who drives the 944/924 is more of a mature person. I think you need to have a different level of respect for vehicles that sets up aside from your Fast and the Furious crowd. You just need to understand you arent a dragracer, and get over that.

Before i had a daily driver i was looking around for a VW GTI, Mustang 5.0 and a Probe GT. When my dad asked me "how would you like a Porsche, i got a great 944 at the shop if you wanna take a look". To be honest i was a car person, but never was into Porsche much as it always seemed "outta my price range". Infact at first i didnt even want the car because i didnt know what it looked like even, and i even thought what everyone at school would think of the 'spoiled kid' in the Porsche. The first 944 didnt work out, but the 924S i got soon after was awsome. I got very lucky, the car was a gift from my father, but please dont think i am one of those silver spoon in mouth type kids. I payed for all the repairs on the car, almost the entire front end service i did myself. And keep in mind i blew a good amount of my savings on buying a classic Mustang to restore. I got very lucky with having all the tools and help i could need with this car. Its funny, everyone at my school thought the car was super fast. To the people who knew the car wasnt very fast, they would always try and tease me with "wanna race?". I knew what the car was capable of, and i just said to them "Yea lets go on the twisties ok?". Infact im happy this car isnt that fast, its probably saved me from getting many tickets, and/or wrapping myself and the car around a tree. Im particuarly greatful i didnt get a Mustang 5.0 because i surley wouldnt be around to see another day.

All other 944/928/924 owners that i have met at various shows and just in the parking lots have all been very nice people. It just seems that people who own these cars have that extra something appreciationg and something in common.

The other stupid thing i like about the 924S call me a stupid teenager for doing them in the first place...but i can do one thing almost everyone in my parking lot cant do in the snow....donuts =P.
Old 08-29-2003 | 09:22 PM
incessant
Racer

This is a ridiculous disscussion. How can you compare? There is no comparison! A 944 is in a class by it self. No doubt if Porsche was still making them, they would be advanced and developed and destroy anything with the same number of cylinders.

The 944 is a CLASSIC!
Love it or leave it.
Old 08-29-2003 | 09:25 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

true that. just read a new honda brochure the other day, for an accord. get this, they're touting their highly advanced 'balance shaft system' for their 2.4 4 banger. woah, high technology!

-Michael-
Old 08-29-2003 | 09:37 PM
elvisizer
Racer

Originally posted by RussRPJ
Am I right? Fess up now... If money were of no concern, then I'd get something a lot newer and classier than a '85!
i'd go for something a lot OLDER and classier, personally . . . .
i just love old cars . . . . but i think i'd still want a 944, too . . .
Old 08-29-2003 | 09:38 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

Originally posted by ERAU-944
true that. just read a new honda brochure the other day, for an accord. get this, they're touting their highly advanced 'balance shaft system' for their 2.4 4 banger. woah, high technology!

-Michael-
Keep in mind, Porsche borrowed the design from Mitsubishi. Paid royalties for every 944 built.

Who brought up the Camry? I must have missed a post somewhere. If you are worried about being faster than everyone, buy a Z28. If you want a well built solid machine that fits good, looks good and drives like a dream you buy a Porsche (or Mercedes, Audi, BMW.......)

I can't wait to see this conversation in 10 years when the 944 is reaching 30 years old and there are still thousands running around. Where will a 2003 Acura RSX or any Type-R be in 10 years? The majority will be in the scrap yard, nobody will care about them. The 944? We will still be arguing over the fact that a 2013 Honda Accord is faster..........Who Cares?

Another note, remember when Porsche visited a couple of Japanese car companies to learn how to be more efficient in building cars?
Old 08-29-2003 | 09:50 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

i know hacker, funny though how they are still all 'ooh look at our cool new technology' and to those people who dont know crap they're like 'ohh yeah i should get this'

smoke and mirrors

-Michael-
Old 08-29-2003 | 10:16 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator

ERAU - No problem, just thought I'd mention it since I'm sure a few people were not aware that Porsche does borrow some technology. Why reinvent the wheel, yea know?
Old 08-29-2003 | 10:21 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

Default proper application of licensed technology

at least we utilize the technology to drive the correct wheels
-Michael-
Old 08-29-2003 | 10:34 PM
qoncept944
Pro

Personally I don't see what maturity has to do with what car you drive.
Old 08-29-2003 | 10:47 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Related to what Hacker said . . .

I'm pondering buying a used Boxster. It's probably fantasy for the time being, but a little fantasy in life is OK. Anyway, I'm driving my 944 and thinking about the Boxster, and I start to think that I might want something with more HP than the 200 in a 1999 Boxster. Then I remember that for less than half of what I might pay for the Boxster I could get some used American POS that will go faster in a straight line. Then I remember that any moron can drive a POS fast in a straight line. Then that Boxster fantasy starts looking really good!

My 944 is the only car I've driven on a track, and it's a beautiful thing. I figure that most every Mustang/Ricer/etc. driver out there would end up off the track if they tried to hang with a 944 through the curves.

For anyone who cares, I turn 36 on September 2.

When I was a freshman in college (85-86), the rich kid with the hottest girlfriend had a Guards Red 944. The guy was a snotty *****, but the car sure was sweet and I definitely wanted one. It looked just like the one Jake drove in Sixteen Candles.

No more yanky my *****; the Donger need food!
Old 08-29-2003 | 10:48 PM
Mark Hubley
Addict
Rennlist Member

P.S. You can start E-mailing me the Happy Birthday's now! I'm the one with the mature, greying hair.
Old 08-29-2003 | 10:56 PM
philip karas
Instructor

esanmiguel,

Everyone is different, yes there are a lot of retarded young adults out there(looks at insurance prices)... but saying flat out this car would be wasted on teenagers is quite a statement. Then again maybe you have some special knowledge about every other person on the planet besides yourself, if you do please share how you obtained this wonderful gift. I suspect this is not the case though because from your posts I gather that you assume all kids want to go fast off the line at every stoplight... then again maybe you thought too fast too furious was a documentary or are remembering mistakes you made in your own past. Unlike the picture of teenagers you have in your head, not all are reckless drivers who want nothing more then to zoom in and out of every lane, cut people off, and go 60 above the posted limit. In fa

I got my 70 911t when I was 15, which had belonged to my father since the day he picked it up from the factory new (yeah it was given to me.... so what I did and do well in school while working, and had been eying that car since I was first promised it at age 6). I acquired the first of the 928s at age 18. I am now age 20 and to this date have 0 tickets, 0 accidents, and have just smiled back at people who try to coerce me into stupid stoplight drags. That does not mean that I don't speed or take corners at quite a bit more then there posted limit.... unless someone else is around. I use a great deal of caution around others for their safety, my own safety, and most important my cars safety (which is > then my safety )... I have always done this, I never had a stupid period of my life where it took something major to make me realize the public road is not the place for games especially when others are around. I also suspect most of the other young people on this board are this way. From my constant lurking around for two years and reading every post , I think I have a pretty good idea of the character of the people here and by no means are these cars wasted on them.

If the 944 is being wasted on anyone from this thread I would have to say it is you not these "teenagers". You seem to be really concerned with its off the line speed as if it were the holy grail of measurements, which it isn't and you seem to be taking poor care of you car from the way you have described it. Though you are correct there are many cars out there that can launch quicker and get through that quarter mile before you, but what about handling at high speed while making many a turn? All I can say about this straight line nonsense is if I want a car that will outrun most street cars from the line, I will pay a little more and get a 951 or do a 350 or lt1 conversion myself. If I go buy a 914 or a 944(not that those are the only options) with a tired engine, brand spanking new crate engine, parts from renegade hybrids(including all necessary suspension, braking, and transmission modifications) I will still have great Porsche handling, great Porsche styling, and a price lower then a new civic (yea there is the issue with my time, but my time is well spent doing something I love). Sure it wouldn't be a P-car engine, but it is still a Porsche.

If anything I think owning P-Cars made me the kind of driver I am, I cannot imagine abusing what I put so much work into and get so much satisfaction from. Oh well at this point I'm beginning to blather on... either way as far as the young people on these boards are concerned, id say they are a rather mature bunch and deserve the cars they work on and appreciate so much.
Old 08-29-2003 | 11:47 PM
Wagz
Racer

IM 19 years old...how am i wasting my time????

sorry that's bullsh*t
Old 08-29-2003 | 11:48 PM
Wagz
Racer

you can't generalize like that..it's prejudice.
Old 08-30-2003 | 12:28 AM
dave120
Drifting

First thing, whoever says a Camry will beat a 944 in a straight line is full of it. I'd like to see a Camry do 140 mph..I think not. A 944 NA will..the "slow" car. 0-60 is crap, that's stuff drag/street racers look at.

So much for maturity on your part esanmiguel.

2nd, I'm 19, all the work on my car is done myself. Sure my dad helps me, but he's also been working on cars 30 years longer than I have. You have to learn somewhere.

Saying my car is wasted on me is a load of horsesh!t like everyone else here is saying. The fact is I respect my car and drive it properly and care for it probably a lot better than you do for yours. But I'm wasting the car because I'm young..I guess I should just give it to you then.

And on another note, you won't kick anyone's butt on an autoX with a 944 unless you learn to drive it. Any gomer in a CRX will hand you your *** if he has a clue and you don't.

That has to be one of the most arrogant and just infuriating things anybody's posted on this board that I've read. Like Adrial said, go read the age poll and see who actually owns these cars. Why don't you go get yourself a 928 or 993 as they seem to be "mature" enough for you.

And as far as using the cars properly, Autocrossing isn't what these cars were made for. Go on a REAL track if you want to use it properly. So maybe YOU'RE the one actually wasting the car here.

Don't sit here and criticize teenagers when the fact of the matter is I bet a good number of them would show you a thing or two about driving if you matched up with them on a track. Get over yourself, really.

Quick Reply: 944 a "mature" car