Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Steering Leak

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 12:59 PM
elf89
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Steering Leak

My power steering started groaning the other day so I checked the reservoir and it was bone dry. I filled it up with Dextron III, drove it home and an hour later, it was dry again.

I checked the clamp under the reservoir and it doesn't appear to be leaking there. What else might it be and what should I expect to pay if I take it to a good mechanic. I'd love to buy some stuff from Travis and fix it myself, but I can barely manage an oil change. Here's what I've thought of:

Rack - PO told me it was replaced at some point, but no receipt
Pump
Hoses or Connections

Any other possibilities? How much should I expect for each? (or in other words which one should I hope for?)

Thanks,
Old 08-29-2003, 01:02 PM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

go to www.rennbay.com for repair kits and repair tutorials
Old 08-29-2003, 01:09 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a great program going where you send in your rack and I will reseal it for you. I have a 48hour turn around on them from the time they arrive. Its all on the power steering page.

But first you have to figure out if thats your problem. Slide under the car and see where the fluid is going. First visually check the pump. If theres fluid coming from the pump halves than the pump is your problem. If not move on to the rack. Pull back the rack boots. If they are full of fluid then thats the rack. If the pump and rack look good , start checking all the hoses.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:12 PM
boston944turbo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar problem and it turned out to be the supply line to the rack. Since this line is under high pressure it can leak when it gets old. If you are bone dry it should be pretty easy to see where the leak is.

Replacing the line took me about a full day working in my driveway. It is not that difficult but space is tight.
Old 08-29-2003, 02:08 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Man, if you are leaking a quart in an hour it has to be showing up somewhere. Take off your belly pans and lay out some white paper. Just look for the red to narrow down the problem area.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Leak