Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help on removing steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003, 02:03 AM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on removing steering wheel

Is it hard to take the steering wheel off? Would I need a special tool? I cant seem to find a post or step-by-step resources on how to do this. I want to replace my stock 944 steering wheel with an aftermarket or something..
Old 08-29-2003, 02:09 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Its very easy. Start by making sure the front wheels are pointed straight and the steering wheel is centered. After that, pull the horn pad off, brute force is all it takes (I'm assuming you have a four spoke wheel). Once the pad is off, unplug the horn wire from th eback of the pad, and set the pas aside. Next, get a large (27mm, IIRC) socket with at least a 5" extension, and loosen the retaining nut. Once the nut and the washer under neath it are loose, just pull the steering wheel off. It will take you longer to find a large socket than it will to remove the steering wheel.

Installation, as they say, is reverse of removal, altho depending on what type you get to replace it, you will likely have a couple of variations installing the new hub. FOr my money, I don't think you can beat the AJUSA 930S steering wheel.

Regards,
Old 08-29-2003, 07:53 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, I assume we're talking about a steering wheel w/o airbags. It's more complicated with....

I'd have to second that on the 930S steering wheel -- though the AJ-USA doesn't do justice to how great it looks. Here's another picture.
http://www.stuttgartperformance.com/...ng_wheels.html
I'm getting one for my baby as soon as she's back from the garage!
Old 08-29-2003, 07:58 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by sh944
Its very easy. Start by making sure the front wheels are pointed straight and the steering wheel is centered. After that, pull the horn pad off, brute force is all it takes (I'm assuming you have a four spoke wheel). Once the pad is off, unplug the horn wire from th eback of the pad, and set the pas aside. Next, get a large (27mm, IIRC) socket with at least a 5" extension, and loosen the retaining nut. Once the nut and the washer under neath it are loose, just pull the steering wheel off. It will take you longer to find a large socket than it will to remove the steering wheel.

Installation, as they say, is reverse of removal, altho depending on what type you get to replace it, you will likely have a couple of variations installing the new hub. FOr my money, I don't think you can beat the AJUSA 930S steering wheel.

Regards,

Scott is dead-on. It's fairly easy.

And, the AJ wheel is the best looking wheel for our cars, IMHO.

Here's mine:

Tifo

Quick Reply: Help on removing steering wheel