Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 upgrade path questions (in depth and long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2003 | 07:57 PM
Fishguy
Instructor

ok, I get it
I really shouldnt be looking to get much more power out of this thing expect with lots of money

alright, then, what do i need to do to keep it top shape, then?

after 18 years, what are good things to have replaced?

so far you guys reccomended getting the belts (Timing belt most importantly) changed, water pump, new wires (are nology hotwires worth the extra $ ?), plugs and "etc"
but I'm really new to this, so some more specifics would really be helpful

how much would some new shocks springs, and a awaybar cost?

and what about some nice tires, while im at it

but basically, it will probably come down to this, as a poor college student, i will only be able to put maybe a grand into the car each summer while im at college, so I mean, what would be a good place to start for the first summer? just working on gettting things back to spec, and things replaced?
basically, im just so new at this, i dont really know what I want

thanks for all the help, guys, im glad i ran across this forum
Old 08-29-2003 | 08:07 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

anyone know what the euro spec 83 puts out compared to a US spec? our 83 US has 26k on it as well, they are true time capsules. still smells like new german car what color combo is yours, and what wheels does it have? mine is Zermatt Silver with black part leather interior. rolling on 15x 7f and 8r fuchs. stock with front and rear stabilizers, semi-sport suspension. nice to see another LOW mileage car on here. the only thing i'm buying for that car is gas!

-Michael-
Old 08-29-2003 | 08:10 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

?Fishguy,

Are you sure it is eurospec? Post some pics.

Michael, I believe that Euro had higher compression and 163HP verses the lower compression US that had 150HP. Let me scrounge around and read my "Original 944" book and check for ya.......

Tifo
Old 08-29-2003 | 08:32 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

OK, I cracked "The Book" open and I was slightly off:

1982-1987 944 specs:

US

HP=143
TQ (Nm)=186
Compression=9.5 to 1

RoW

HP=163
TQ(Nm)=205
Compression=10.6 to 1

1988 both RoW and US had the same specs:

HP=160
TQ(Nm)=210
Compression=10.2 to 1

1989 both got the larger motor and same specs:

HP=165
TQ(Nm)=225
Compression=10.9 to 1

Hope that helps!

Tifo
Old 08-29-2003 | 08:40 PM
Fishguy
Instructor

Pics incoming!

now, does that look like a Eurospec 944? It has that body kit part under the rear bumper that US models dont have (and should, it keeps you from seeing all the underbody dirt) and inbetween the rear lights, the lit 944 is a nice touch that i havent seen on any US 944 (though i havent seen very many up here)

according to the PO, the first owner brought it over with him from Germany, to alaska of all places

I guess this is an awfully rare car, especially considering where it is, and the mileage

too bad i had to get the slave cylinder replaced ($400 repair for a $70 part which i probably could have installed) and now ive got an oil leak (no time to fix it before i leave for college, so its gotta be stored this way)
Old 08-29-2003 | 08:44 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Nope. US-spec. Sorry to burst your bubble.

The turn-signals, bumper, and front spoiler are a dead give-away. Sorry!

Let me look around in my archive for a RoW car and post if for you.

Tifo
Old 08-29-2003 | 08:50 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Here is a Euro (or RoW) car:

See the differences?

Tifo
Old 08-29-2003 | 09:20 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

yeah the euro cars had different bumpers altogether, like the one in the picture. your car is however a fine example of porschedom. nice lookin cookie cutters. the ones i have off the last parts car will look that way after some elbow grease is unleashed. i love garnet red!

keep it nice!
-Michael-
Old 08-29-2003 | 10:40 PM
Fishguy
Instructor

damnit, oh well, thanks Tifo , thats really useful info

hmmm.. (im reaching here) its not possible that the first owner got it built there to Row specs but with the US body styling?

its kinda odd he'd go to Germany and get a US version...

perhaps the PO was full of something....

could i send the VIN to Porsche and they might have records on how exactly it was configured when it came out of the factory?

oh well, Its still cool, and looks better than a majority of the 944's out there and just because what i thought i knew about the car was wrong doesnt mean that my past and future enjoyment of the car is voided
Old 08-30-2003 | 12:18 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Come on guys, you can't tell a Euro from a US if it has been federalized at all just by looking at the body. Remember the Grassroots Motorsports 944 that Firestarter bought? It didn't look euro at all, but when you decoded the VIN it proved to be just that. Also, I saw pictures of Vince's euro 924 (or is it a 931) a few years ago and it even has the lollypop side marker lights like a US spec model. That's the length that someone went to when they brought that car over to the US.

Who has a link to a VIN decoder for Fishguy so he can figure it out once and for all?
Old 08-30-2003 | 12:54 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Keep it stock and keep lovin' it while your in college. Graduate and then think about speed!
Old 08-30-2003 | 01:22 PM
Brazzos
Advanced

Ummm....you guys have no idea how much trouble a GI will go through to get a Euro Spec car to the states.

I placed a US Audi Quattro GT body on my German Audi Quattro to get it home.
PITA for days and days....but my friends and I did it eventually.

But, if I were the young man in Alaska....regardless of the cars origins, I would just try to keep it as nice and maintained as possible if that car is all original.
Old 08-30-2003 | 09:14 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Originally posted by Manning
Come on guys, you can't tell a Euro from a US if it has been federalized at all just by looking at the body. Remember the Grassroots Motorsports 944 that Firestarter bought? It didn't look euro at all, but when you decoded the VIN it proved to be just that. Also, I saw pictures of Vince's euro 924 (or is it a 931) a few years ago and it even has the lollypop side marker lights like a US spec model. That's the length that someone went to when they brought that car over to the US.

Who has a link to a VIN decoder for Fishguy so he can figure it out once and for all?
Wrong. Firestarters car had the US-spec spoiler added to it due to an accident, but it had the euro bumper and lack of turnsignals on the rear quater panels.

Tifo
Old 08-31-2003 | 12:00 AM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by tifosiman
Wrong. Firestarters car had the US-spec spoiler added to it due to an accident, but it had the euro bumper and lack of turnsignals on the rear quater panels.

Tifo
Actually, it had a U.S. spec rear bumper as well. I had forgotten the fact that it didn't have the rear corner lights. Also, Firestarter liked to point out that his car was sans a catalytic converter, but even J.G. told me directly that it looked more like someone had merely cobbled on a hunk of pipe to eliminate the cat.

And what explain Vince's car. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to federalize that car, adding those dopey round lights on the corners like U.S. cars have, but it is actually a european model. And like Brazzos pointed out, folks will gone to a lot of trouble to get a euro spec car into the country.

On the flipside of that, I have genuine european bumpers for my car and when I am finished will have eliminated the lollipop lights and added euro turn signels to the front fenders. You won't be able to tell my car isn't a european model just by looking at the exterior.

I do have to say, the links to Fishguys pictures weren't working when I first wrote my reply, and now just looking at it I doubt it is euro. But if it was and had been federalized it would be really hard to tell just by looking at the superficial features.
Old 08-31-2003 | 06:58 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Yeah, I got a good long look at it one day when he was over at my house shortly before he sold it (William, that is). I theorize it was a euro-spec car that was federalized at one time when it was imported (addition of the rear bumper and emmissions stuff). At some point it had a rather careless owner, because the passenger door, passenger fender, and front spoiler had been replaced and sprayed.

I remember thinking it was pretty cool that it now had 4 fog lights after the US spoiler was added.

With the changes that GRM did to it, they didn't really add much HP. I think that they just moved the torque and HP curve further up the revs. It seemed extremely sluggish at low RPMs by comparison to my car.

Tifo

Quick Reply: 944 upgrade path questions (in depth and long)