Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, I will change my Avatar!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 08:13 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ag951
jabbadeznuts, does the kitten have his paws up in that picture because he's playing, or begging for his life?
I believe he's playing.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:44 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

some illusion! I was fooled until it was pointed out! tsk tsk sam...
Old 08-28-2003, 09:21 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

LOL that avatar is great esan!

I think you should be able to keep it. But I thought the rules of board were you have to be 18 yrs and older? Or am I wrong? But if children on coming to this website, maybee parents shouldn't be letting them on if it has TOO MUCH SEXUAL CONTENT.

Some people have to lighten up. I can say alot of us are alot crazier off the board than we'd like anyone to know.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:51 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally posted by Fishey
Ok, no 16year old should be driving a P-car give her a buick or something for altleast 4 months....
I'm 16, and i'm driving a 944. Then again, i'm not a moron who drives 75 mph in residential zones (Happened at my school).
Old 08-28-2003, 11:19 PM
crazandy
Racer

I don't think there is anything wrong with the avatar, and I also think a 16 year old should not be driving a Porsche.

I got my 944 3 or so weeks before I got my license. I've been a responsible kid all my life (for the most part) no drugs, no alcohol, no running away, Honor Roll since 4th grade, etc. I worked hard on my uncles farm for 3 or 4 summers and worked at the local grocery store before I had saved enough money for a car/down payment (4-5k). It took me 3 or 4 days to convince my parents to loan me 2k so I could buy the 944. And when I got it I drove it nice and easy (4-4.5k max and no more than 5-10 over the speed limit) until one night (about 3 months after I got it) when I was at my friends house with no parent supervision and we were just cruising around around 10 at night and I got it up to about 130mph on a federal road, it scared the crap out of me and my friend, but the adrenaline rush caused me to become addicted to speed. And from that moment on whenever I could I would push the limits of the car. When I first got it I thought I'd never drive it ruff or put my life in danger, but being a teenager that thought soon left my mind (especially with friends in the car), until most of my friends started getting their licenses and started getting tickets, accidents, and licenses revoked that I then realized I had better stop speeding (especially after my brother got thrown in jail for 7 days after only going 35 over the speed limit on the Interstate)

It took me 2 years to learn my lesson and I'm very lucky that the worst that happened to me and my car was me spinning out when I was trying to drift around a turn in the rain, which cause 2 crushed rims and a need for alignment.

But when I have kids, if I ever do, they'll be driving tanks (Volvo's) or a crappy old Ford pickup (like my new daily driver -- 1984 Ford Ranger 2wd POS that can barely go above 80) until they are out of my house, I just couldn't live with the fact that if they were to die, or be seriously injured, that I gave them the ammunition (fancy sports car) to kill themselves with.

BTW I just turned 18 in August.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:28 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well put Andy. I turned 18 in May and our situations are the same. I drove mine responsibly until I learned how fast it could go. After that I was hooked. Teens are teens no matter how they are raised. My father was a Green Beret and I remember him telling me when I was younger: "Son, if you ever get a girl pregnant, I will kill you. If you ever put someone else's life in danger because you drive like an idiot, I will kill you. If you ever do drugs or drink, I will kill you." My dad is a tough SOB and I've heard stories of him taking on 5 guys at once while protecting my mom. It never stopped me from having sex, drinking, speeding, or smoking cigars. If that couldn't stop me from being a teen, I dunno what will.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:32 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

To Vgod... trust me, I am a LOT crazier offline and in person. You don't want to know the Hell that I have caused, and trust me, I am no prude... lol I admit that I was deceived by the avatar at first, and on one hand, I agree that the perception of what the viewer sees is "their" problem in that case. On the other hand, like I said early in this thread, if for no other reason than to try and make John D's life easier by not putting him in the position of having to make a judgement call on it, it might be the better call to just pull it and avoid the question altogether. Esanmiguel did this, and I very much appreciate it. I haven't looked to see if brrt did as well, from his post, but now that I "see" the picture differently, I willlet nature take its course. If the pic stays, its stays, if it gets pulled, well, that won't bother me either.

As for letting a 16yr old drive a 944na, what, are you guys kidding? Name a car that is going to be safer for a 16 year old girl? Great brakes and suspension, very limited back seat space so she won't be hauling a ton of friends around to distract her while driving, no real power to get in trouble with, and an extremely safe car that protects its passengers in the event of a crash. Plus the "instant status" factor that will motivate her to stay out of trouble so that she can keep it. Beyond that, I hope I am a good enough parent to stay involved enough with her through her teen years to make sure she stays safe.

Regards,
Old 08-28-2003, 11:33 PM
ERAU-944
Race Car

well scott it'll be up to you. i say let her have it as long as she learns how to drive properly. its up to you as a parent to decide. i learned how to drive stick in a 944, got my first and only speeding ticket in a 944, and i'll probably be buried in my 944. i'll admit when i was 16 and we got our first one, the 83 garage queen, i was automotively retarded. it sounds like your daughter is on the right track though. educate her well, and have her do some autocrosses. ever since i've started performance driving with my car it's made me such a better driver on the roads, i'm so aware of EVERYTHING including my limits and the limits of my car. thats great knowledge to have, and 99% of people out there dont. for your sake and your daughters, put her in that 1%.

oh yeah, the avatar caught me off guard, and i've seen that picture before!!! i agree it shouldnt be here, maybe a funny thing to post, but label it adult only, there's a 13 yr old that routinely posts/lurks here.

this thread is a great show of everything rennlist is about!

-Michael-

EDIT: Scott, i do disagree on one thing though, 150 hp is plenty to get into trouble with. sure its sedate compared to the 951 and other cars out there, but the 944 is no slouch. just make sure she can handle the car!
Old 08-28-2003, 11:33 PM
crazandy
Racer

The only thing that stops a teen from doing something stupid is solitude... If they have no bad influences (friends) then they will be decent kids... but if they have any friends, the friends will egg them on to do stupid things.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:39 PM
crazandy
Racer

Originally posted by sh944
As for letting a 16yr old drive a 944na, what, are you guys kidding? Name a car that is going to be safer for a 16 year old girl? Great brakes and suspension, very limited back seat space so she won't be hauling a ton of friends around to distract her while driving, no real power to get in trouble with, and an extremely safe car that protects its passengers in the event of a crash. Plus the "instant status" factor that will motivate her to stay out of trouble so that she can keep it. Beyond that, I hope I am a good enough parent to stay involved enough with her through her teen years to make sure she stays safe.
My NA had enough power to get me to 135, but I'm sure the brakes couldn't stop me in time if I needed it (deer crosses the road, squirrel anything at that speed is deadly). If you don't want them to be hauling a lot of kids around get them a small pickup or something with only 2 seats. That is why I got my 84 Ford Ranger for 1000 dollars, so that I could work on my car and not have any power to get me into trouble, because I knew at the rate I was going I would have had something horrible happen (huge accident, thrown in jail... something).

The only way I would let a kid have a sports car is if I modified the throttle so they couldn't go more than maybe 3/4 throttle, but if your kid knows anything about cars they'll figure that trick out real quick.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:40 PM
User 41221
Banned

Doing stupid things is an important part of life, and I am no fool... my daughter will do her fair share of them, especially if she takes after me. My job is not to try and keep her from doing stupid things, but to help keep her as safe as I can and help her learn when she DOES stupid things.

I have told my daughter from time to time that life is about going out and making the biggest messes that you can, as long as you learn from those messes and clean up after yourself. She is( and I absolutely mean this) the BEST kid ever, and I am sorry that it will just sound like a proud parent saying that, because its true... I only hope I can live long enough to spoil her to the extent that she deserves... which would make me immortal! lol

Regards,
Old 08-28-2003, 11:41 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Exactly Andy. Now, I know most people don' think we know what the hell we're talking about since we're young but we really do. The only ticket I ever got was in the '44 and thats because a cop followed me and waited for me to do something wrong. The only accident I was in was in my '44. Yes it is a safe car but it does have its limits, just like everything else.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:42 PM
User 41221
Banned

Hey andy, are you trying to tell me that you are safer in a Ford pickup that will get up to 90-100mph than you are a 944 that can get up to 135? Really?

Regards,
Old 08-28-2003, 11:43 PM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Putting someone in a position that they CAN do something stupid isn't a part of life. I wish I had never gotten this car to begin with personally. It's caused me much more trouble than it's worth and I mean that sincerely.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:48 PM
crazandy
Racer

Originally posted by sh944
Hey andy, are you trying to tell me that you are safer in a Ford pickup that will get up to 90-100mph than you are a 944 that can get up to 135? Really?

Regards,
My Ford can't do any more than 80-85 tops and yes I'd say I'm a hole lot safer in it than the 944. Because if I get the ford to 80-85 and let off the gas the engine will brake it down to about 55 in a matter of seconds, but if I were to try that in the 944 it would take a long time to do that. Also the 944 could run at 120+mph for minutes at a time, but the ford couldn't do any more than 70 for minutes at a time. Plus in the 944 I feel almost invisible but in the Ford I can tell what its limits are and they are pretty low. I know the 944 would handle a lot better than the Ford, but with the 944 I would be going 50 mph faster.

I'm just saying what I would do, and what is going on in this teenagers mind and life. I'm not saying you can't let your daughter have the 944 as a first car, I'm just recommending against it based on my experiences.

Quick Reply: Ok, I will change my Avatar!!