Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vaccuum lines

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 11:54 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default vaccuum lines

Well, I started to really look at the car tonight. I started taking apart the day I got it but I havent got back to it really until tonight. As expected of a car with the mileage mine has there are numerous vaccuum hoses broken, most at the "T"s and of course, most are under the intake. I suspect that I will need to pull the intake and replace all the vaccuum hoses. I know that a whole bunch of people make a kit but they are all talking about 5/32 hose and these vaccuum hoses are really small. Is it okay to use larger hose or is my mind playing tricks on me and those little hoses are 5/32nds? Some other broken parts include the airbox which is held together with 2 screws of the wrong type. This is not so big a deal since I was contemplating moving the air filter. I guess the questions are as follows:

What can be done to eliminate some of the vaccuum hoses. I am planning to replace the wastegate and add an AVC-R in the next week or two.

Does anyone make a prefabbed kit to relocate the air filter? I know there was a thread on doing it yourself but it would be nice to have an actual bracket that worked.

By eliminating cruise control it appears that a WHOLE bunch of stuff can be eliminated, is this a correct observation?
Old 08-28-2003, 12:01 AM
Devia
Nordschleife Master

And I thought it was going to be an easy answer, lol! NOT! Obviously, you are talking about a 951.

I have seen a K&N filter on a 951, down at Anderson Motorworks, so it's possible to put something else in.

I'd go through the Rennlist Sponsor list, and see who can cut you the best deal.

As for the sizes of the hoses, we have a huge archive for you to search; also, www.clarksgarage.com has an online book info.

Sorry, not sure what else you can take off other than cruise control; be very, very careful what you rip out, you may find yourself breaking something important!

But then I have a bone stock '83 944, no power steering, no cruise control, no electric roof - hey, wanna trade!?

Good luck, sorry I couldn't be of more help.

- Julie
Old 08-28-2003, 12:10 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Humor is always a help! I have seen other things done too but I have never seen anyone sell a bolt on kit.
Old 08-28-2003, 11:47 PM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

For the vacuum lines, I recommend Lindsey Racing's kit, also talk to dave and get the idle stabilizer valve and brake booster hoses, since if your vacuum are bad, those are bad too and also take vacuum.

There's a kit to put one of the cone filters on the 951, I forget where I got mine from, but I originally saw it on eBay. I haven't installed or even seen it yet (am outta town for months).

Sam

Quick Reply: vaccuum lines