Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Delrin spring plate bushings installed – Still no positive toe – Lime Rock sept. 6th.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:23 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delrin spring plate bushings installed – Still no positive toe – Lime Rock sept. 6th.

Just spent 30rs installing a sweet set of Delrin spring plate bushings, and re-indexing the torsion bars to take a little load off the coilovers. The bushings needed replacement in the worst way, but the real driver for me to replace them was I could not get any positive toe on the left rear wheel.

Well after taking it to get the alignment set, I still have the same problem. The guys at RPM racing have this state-of-the-art laser alignment machine, from where it can calculate the distance of each wheel and ultimately give you an idea if the frame is tweaked (BTW these guys were great and very professional). Well needless to say, mine were all over the place, and I need a body shop to straighten the frame.

My big dilemma is I’m registered for Lime Rock sept. 6th, after being on the wait list, and falling to make the last two. If I can’t get it fixed by then, I’ll be running with a lot of toe out in the rear, which can be very twitchy at high speeds.

My question is for those track guys. How unsafe is this?????????

I didn’t get the final specs, but the toe out is a good margin? We made it so they were at least even, left to right. The car drives straight, but I haven’t hit any high-speed turns yet. I imaging the back end will want to sail out, so I’m a little concerned.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:33 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont know about the back end wanting to sail out, but it will be less stable...thats for sure.

I think the bottom line is that you better give up your DE spot to me, its the only logical answer.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:57 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

I think the bottom line is that you better give up your DE spot to me, its the only logical answer
hmmmm.. and let you get another DE event before me. I think I'd rather risk kissing the wall.

So, I guess your on the wait list, or did you not bother registering?
Old 08-26-2003, 12:00 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Come on man...DE's are SO overrated...I mean its just glorified Nascar! lap after lap after lap....

I didn't bother registering. I am however registered for a 2 day pocono event starting october 18th. (with metro NY region)

I may go ahead and register for metro NY's last event at summit point, I'll have to see if my exam schedule for school allows it.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:23 AM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by Wormhole
hmmmm.. and let you get another DE event before me. I think I'd rather risk kissing the wall.

Hmmm i would re think that kissing a wall statement after watching them drop that 911 off the flatbed

i still say we need to get the local 944 guys together at the 3 day skip barber school where it doesnt matter if you kiss a wall
Old 08-26-2003, 05:32 AM
keith
Drifting

You need to know how far out it is... We run some toe out on the rear of my car (same deal as yours) and it is great. IIRC, I'm 0.18 toed out in the rear.
Old 08-26-2003, 01:59 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Hey Keith, is that .18 total toe out, or for each wheel. Seems like a lot. I think mine was around that for each wheel. From what I understand you want a little toe in to stabilize turn in at high speeds. Toe out would cause the backend to get twitchy and have a tendency to skip out.

I have an appointment Tuesday with the body shop, then once they’re done we can roll it on the alignment machine, have the wheels balanced, tech inspected and ready for the 6th.

Dan, your right I wouldn’t want to end up like that 911. Not a pretty site. Can you give me a call or just check that they have no conflict with taking me after the chassis alignment is done.
Old 08-27-2003, 08:49 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Some pictures of the Delrin bushings

Cross tube dropped
Old 08-27-2003, 10:43 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

I don't think that a frame shop is going to be able to help you. The spring plate and control arm attach to the torsion bar tube right? If the chassis were bent then it should affect both sides in the rear at least a little right? How far is it out? I have seen bent control arms from a heavy impact on the wheel from the side, like hitting a curb sliding the rear. Can you post a print out from the shop? You don't really want to risk it if it is toed out. You won't have any grip on that side and the car will oversteer for sure.

Originally posted by adrial
I may go ahead and register for metro NY's last event at summit point, I'll have to see if my exam schedule for school allows it.

I am signing up for that event. We (Potomac) will lose at least two events due to construction delay's on the new track. I need it and the next Schattenbaum to make up for it!

We have VIR full course in two weeks.
Old 08-27-2003, 11:33 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

What I am thinking is possibly the car was hit at the right rear bumper, or somewhere in that area, which could have caused the whole backend section including torsion tube crossover assembly to rotate counter clockwise. This would make sense since the left wheel can’t get any positive, and the right has plenty. With both toe settings at the positive extreme it looks something like this \ \ (Not to scale of course)
As far as the control arms and spring plate, they looked straight as an arrow.
I never got the printouts, since I was planning on just taking it to the body shop. I guess I’ll see what they come back with, hopefully good news, I’ll know more next week.

I may try registering for summit point as well
Old 09-04-2003, 01:49 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

Just called the body shop, and the frame is perfectly straight. Now I’m really confused as to what the problem could possibly be. I guess a suspension component may be bent, but not visually noticeable.

Does anyone know a way to check if the trailing arm is bent?

I’m still going this weekend regardless, too many arrangements made. I’ll just have to be careful cornering.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

dude sorry i never got back to you, i was out sick at the end of last week and yesterday was my first day back...

your going to limerock on saturday? i didnt think you would get in off the waiting list! im going to be there, not driving though
Old 09-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

your going to limerock on saturday? i didnt think you would get in off the waiting list! im going to be there, not driving though
yep, I'll be there. Going up tomorrow afternoon, right after I pick up the car, and install a few things. See you then, make sure to take plenty of photo’s of the white 951 rocket.
Old 09-04-2003, 04:58 PM
Dan Gallagher
Drifting

Originally posted by Wormhole
yep, I'll be there. Going up tomorrow afternoon, right after I pick up the car, and install a few things. See you then, make sure to take plenty of photo’s of the white 951 rocket.
We are bringing russ' white 934 and taso's red 951, my 951 will just be nexto theirs looking pretty, we are bringing 5 guys, leaving 3am saturday morning

this all reminds me i need to call our graphics guy and see if he is going to finish my car and the 934...
Old 09-04-2003, 05:09 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

leaving 3am saturday morning

That's going to be one long day. I was sweating waking up at 6am.

Quick Reply: Delrin spring plate bushings installed – Still no positive toe – Lime Rock sept. 6th.