Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy Early Model 944?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 01:37 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I like everything about the pre-85.5 944's except for the low steering wheel position. Everyone that I test-drove was difficult to get in and out of (I have large thighs and am 6' 1"...........the thighs are from years of bike racing, so no girlie jokes..pleeze!)

I like the retro-style gauges as well. I rented a new Altima a few weeks back and the gauge cluster looked strangely similar to an early 944.

Tifo
Old 08-25-2003, 03:22 PM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the steering wheel with the standard seats either. With the sport seats the seating position is a few inches lower and much better. I hated the driving my US Spec 944 until I switched the sport seats over from my euro 944.
Old 08-25-2003, 03:44 PM
Carl Nall
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm biased in favor of the early 944 but I like its relative simplicity, its nimble handling and good performance... I even like the steering wheel position.

Early or late 944, if you can find a one owner car (like mine) that has been obsessively maintained, comes with complete records and aces the PPI, snap it up! With any 944 variant you will need to factor in the inevitable costs of maintaining the car in top condition. With the earlier, simpler car, less is more IMHO and there are real bargains out there.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:23 PM
NICK G.
Instructor

My wife bought mine for me for my 40th b-day and it was are first Porsche. We did not know any thing about Porsche's,and we bought it pretty quick from the seller.We fond out that she( LIED) about alot of stuff about the car. But from the first time I drove it I knew I had to have it.The few people that I new that had Porsche's all told me, know matter what you do get the belts done ,so we did. After that I have been fixing and enjoy my car since I got it, we call it are learning Porsche. I find parts off the net and through different people and places, it has to be the best present that out of my 41 1/2 years that I ever got!!! I have met some great people and taken it to some great places (tweeks fun fest.com twice,lake of the Ozark's and many more) and every were we go people look and talk about the car and it's great.As you can tell I also would recommend an early or late 944, just try to get into one!!! hey thanks JAMES W. for the seats, once again another great hook up on the rennlist forums.and i do recommend these sites for alot of your questions and answers thanks again NICK G.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:33 PM
NICK G.
Instructor

Buy the way all you guys and ladies out there with early car's. Any body have a good brown cassette cover that they my have for sale. thanks NICK G.
Old 08-25-2003, 05:56 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Silver, (Bryan)

I'm also in Vancouver, along with a score of 944 guys. We can DEFINATELY guide you on the path to 944 ownership.

In fact, you just missed (along with me and Randy_J) a wicked, a near mint 87 944 turbo for $8900 CDN. It was for sale for like, 2 or 3 days.. sold instantly..

If you're patient, you can wait till you find a mint car, and ****** it up!

come out to the auto-crosses and other p-car events and we'll happily show you our cars..

ps- I'm in kits, were u at?
Old 08-25-2003, 11:05 PM
mick944
Instructor

Default Early 944

I have had 4 944's (over a 15 yr.period)(87,85 1/2,84,and my current 83.I honestly think my favorite is the 83.They all have their little idios and nuances,but as long as you go in eyes wide open they are all great cars.Find one that has had someone that loved it,and you will be fine.The early ones(pre-85 1/2) had a little more raw,sports car feel(I like the dash better).Good luck.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:19 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if it does cost more in maint during the first year than the purchase cost, it will soon have all of the mechanical gremlins attended to and will be very reliable and way cheaper than car payments.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:54 AM
kwh29
Intermediate

Unless you just have to have a turbo, my feeling is that the decision is between the early car and the '89 NA. the '89 has the sweet 200cc extra and all of the later car's detail improvements. It also has about 200lb extra weight, unfortunately. That's easily felt in any performance (autocross) situation. The later cars also have higher maintenance costs due to the Aluminum control arms and fragile ball joints.

Like everyone else has said, get a PPI and find the best car you can afford. It's money well spent.

Don't count on any "investment" return. There are too many 944's in circulation to have any serious collector interest for many more years. Buy a nice one, drive, and enjoy. It's what they were built for!

--Kevin H.
Old 08-26-2003, 02:31 AM
*Michael.*
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my current 944 the guy gave me a big folder full of mait. records. I started going through them. There were papers dated from 1986! I was six years old!! Kind of funny to think that I was 4-5 when this car was built! I also have the original copy of the cashiers check where he paid cash for it in '85.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:27 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Everyone is saying the same thing-find a well maintained one. Early, late, turbo, N/A, S2, S, whatever-but spend more money up front to get a great base. A poorly treated or mystery car can suck a TON of money out of you. IMHO, it's worth a little more in purchase price to avoid frustration, expenses, laying under the car more than driving it, etc.

As an example, let's say you can choose between 2 cars. The first costs $6000, and the second is $3000. The first is 2-owner, complete records, looks great, maintenance up to date. The second is 4 owner, no records, still looks o.k., but may need some paintwork-you are told the belts are new, clutch, etc.

If you don't replace a timing belt when you are not sure-you are a gambling man. Big. So add $750-$1000 for belts/rollers/water pump, etc. Another $1000 for the paintwork, and cleaning. You are now in a $5000 car-and you don't know what may go next. Clutch? Shocks/struts/ bushings? Steering rack?

I'm not saying that these things won't go wrong with a well maintained car-I'm just saying the chances are greater in an abused car.

Quick Reply: Buy Early Model 944?