Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The noise this car makes...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 05:19 AM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The noise this car makes...

Ok, this is my first Porsche owning it for more than a week now. Since I have never driven any other 944's I cannot compare my car to another. So I have a few questions..The car is loud while idling, you can definitely feel the engine from inside the car on idle (no, the mounts have been changed).
The exhaust is loud. The steering is barely "power steering". The inside of the car gets hot specially around the gear shifter. Whats up with the gas pedal? Seems too soft and not much feedback on the pedal.
The wind noise from the side mirrors are loud. Dont get me wrong, the car is great I am just wondering if all these are normal.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:25 AM
Cass944
Drifting

uhhh.... no?

my mirrors have never made any sound.
at idle my car is loud, it seems even louder if the top and windows are shut, its weird like that. I guess if the windows are open then the sound can escape.

the shifter will get hot if anyone has done a clutch job before and didnt bother to put the foam insulation back aorund the shifter. that could also be why there is more noise at idle. directly under thet leather book is a drive shaft and a CAT converter and they get real hot. and if that insulation isnt int here then its gonna come right up in there ( its actually nice durring the winter, it keeps your shifer hand warm)

im not sure aboutt he gas pedal. you can get the throttle responce cam and it supposedly makes it feel more responsive. im not sure because mine wa sont here when i got it. as long as the car goes.... who cares though

have fun
Old 08-24-2003, 05:56 AM
zakk
Instructor

My 86 Turbo has some pretty obnoxious mirror noise on the driver side. I thought it was coming from the engine until I folded the mirror in and it stopped. It's a hard sound to describe, mostly 'rasping' I guess.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:32 PM
Charlotte944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found that adding mirror bras tends to reduce mirror noise, especially from the passenger side.

If the engine is loud at idle there is a chance your fuel/air mixture is too rich. This can be caused by a bad oxygen sensor, bad fuel pressure regulator, or the Fuel Quality Switch in the DME. In my case the FQS in my '87 was off by one click. Normal position for US cars is full Counter-Clockwise.

This problem will also affect how well the idle stabilizer is working. With my '87, the FQS was set 3% rich, the idle was rough, the exhsust note had too much low end, throttle response sucked, fuel mileage sucked, and the idle speed was very erratic.

To resolve the "soft" accelerator peddle, install a 'Throttle Response Cam'.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:39 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Depends on how loud it actually is of course. Like you said, you have nothing to compare. My 944, when sitting at idle in my driveway, used to rattle my house's windows. I absolutely loved it. Of course, that was the most worthless post ever, but the exhaust being loud might just be a product of what your previous vehicles were: not a German sports car!
Old 08-24-2003, 01:19 PM
944Play
Pro

Default Re: The noise this car makes...

Originally posted by esanmiguel
The steering is barely "power steering".

Try taking the belt off -- you'll appreciate how much boost it IS giving.
Seems too soft and not much feedback on the pedal.

I had the same reaction, only more so, being used to a Volvo. I addressed this by winding the main throttle return spring one more revolution around the butterfly's axis and slightly stretching the secondary spring. Personally, I like the (stock) progressive throttle cam. I think it makes the car more drivable at parking lot speeds. American cars bug me in that they feel like they're trying to impress me with how much torque they can deliver in the first 5mm of pedal travel.
The wind noise from the side mirrors are loud.
Only my passenger mirror is loud at speed.
Old 08-24-2003, 01:48 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Re: The noise this car makes...

Originally posted by 944Play

Try taking the belt off -- you'll appreciate how much boost it IS giving.
[/b]
I had the same reaction, only more so, being used to a Volvo. I addressed this by winding the main throttle return spring one more revolution around the butterfly's axis and slightly stretching the secondary spring. Personally, I like the (stock) progressive throttle cam. I think it makes the car more drivable at parking lot speeds. American cars bug me in that they feel like they're trying to impress me with how much torque they can deliver in the first 5mm of pedal travel.

Only my passenger mirror is loud at speed. [/B]
I know what u mean about American cars and their throttle response! I have a Jeep Cherokee and had another Chrysler before.. The car seems powerful cause of the throttle response, but that was about it. I also have a 2001 Volvo V70 with a lazy throttle (cause its throttle by wire?)
Old 08-24-2003, 04:23 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Wind noise from the mirrors: I had a drivers side mirror constantly loosen from the base. Even the little bit of a gap between them caused considerable noise compared to when the assembly was tight.

I fixed it by getting the mirrors off of an 86.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:14 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Welcome to the world of Porsche! Im sure you will slowly discover many more "features" as time goes by! Loud idle, BAH, you should hear my idle with the SFR ! No sneaking out for me at night! Vibrations? Everything shakes together! Its like the car is getting ready to take off! Same feeling when an airplane starts its engines before take off! (ok maybe thats a little exagerated...) Yeah, the steering is heavy as hell compared to other car's power steering. Try going about 95mph, see how the steering feels then. You will appreciate its heaviness. Hmm...no feedback in the pedal? Comapred to what? I think it is very responsive and lets you know quite a bit about what is going on! The only thing that ever got to me is how EXTREMELY informitive the car really is. In the winter when they have sand on the streets, you can hear every little grain you go over through the wheels wells and underbody. You get used to it. After a while, you just realize, how can anyone possibly drive anything else! I cant stop thinking that now on the road. Hmm...new toyota huh...how could that dude possibly spend so much money when they could have bought a 944... Oh well, keeps em for the enthusiasts.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:40 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Cliff-
Where is this FQS located? I never looked at my DME...where do I start??
I may have a running rich problem like you describe.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:44 PM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Re: The noise this car makes...

Originally posted by 944Play
American cars bug me in that they feel like they're trying to impress me with how much torque they can deliver in the first 5mm of pedal travel.
haha, man you're so right. i have so much trouble with my mom's stratus and it's an automatic. american pedals also have no weight so you can't comfortably rest your foot on them while maintaining speed. i always feel like i'm holding my foot up the whole time whereas in the porsche i just forget about it
Old 08-24-2003, 08:14 PM
phantom309
Racer

Default Re: The noise this car makes...

Originally posted by esanmiguel
The steering is barely "power steering".
I thought so at first, too. After a few hundred miles, every other car's steering will seem numb and vague.

Quick Reply: The noise this car makes...