Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Elec window switches. Got any?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003 | 11:05 PM
Clayton Smith
Track Day

Thanks for the advice, all.

Just a FYI: The window is all the way up, fortunately. No movement (or even a noise, whatsoever) is made when I try to roll the window down. I'll be taking the panel off tomorrow afternoon for further investigation.
Old 08-24-2003 | 11:39 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by Brian Wilson
Actually, i'm moving back to the states and my car is a euro. I can't take it back with me.
Yes you can. Not that difficult to take it down to US emmissions standards.
Old 08-25-2003 | 03:51 AM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
Yes you can. Not that difficult to take it down to US emmissions standards.
It is possible, but it costs more to do than the car is worth. The US isn't so big on black market cars anymore . Now you have to have the car shipped to a certified importer. There aren't that many, and they're quite expensive. The estimate on my car was about $8500. My car already is close to emission standards, almost all of the cars here have Kats and all those nice power sucking things. What is expensive is all of the DOT crap. The lights, bumpers and ALL glass have to be changed out. Thats a few $$$ already, not to mention paying the import tax, cost to ship, and paying the importer. Even if you do the stuff yourself, they still have to go through the entire car to check it out. The only reason to import a car now is if it is an exotic of some sort that you couldn't buy in the states.

I still need switches.... stupid ebay. They always have the crap that you don't need.
Old 08-25-2003 | 09:01 AM
brrt50cal
Addict
Rennlist Member

Lol, there are three switches in there aren't there? You can have them all if you need them. Send me a PM if interested.
Old 08-25-2003 | 01:17 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The 86 came without electric windows? Interesting. Does it have the cutouts for the window switches?

I would think that the lights already are DOT approved.

Are the bumpers the euro style?
Old 08-25-2003 | 01:30 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

The lights are probably not DOT approved. The headlights could be changed out to DOT sealed beams cheap and easy enough, then switched back to e-code. The sidemarkers might be a bit more of a challenge. And the DOT bumpers would cost a few bucks along with raising the rear end .... you might have to reindex the torsion bars to get the rear high enough.

I didn't know the glass was different spec, man that could really cost some bucks to change out.

Brian is right, leave it where it is and get a US replacement when he gets back.
Old 08-25-2003 | 01:52 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I question as to why Porsche would not have the highest approval on all of the windows and lights so as to NOT have to keep dual inventory.

As to the ugly american bumpers I can see why but not the windows and lights.

Oh well...
Old 08-25-2003 | 02:40 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

The lighting differences are different philosophies in various countries - the world just hasn't agreed on a common specification. The Europeans want a sharp horizontal cutoff on headlights so you don't blind other drivers and keep the light on the road. The Americans want light high to really light up overhead signs on bridges and think drivers should just divert their eyes to the side when a car comes at them.

Then there are marker lights, those can vary all over the map.

I don't know what the deal is with window glass. You would think everyone would want good glass that would minimize injuries in a crash.
Old 08-25-2003 | 04:41 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by IceShark
I don't know what the deal is with window glass. You would think everyone would want good glass that would minimize injuries in a crash.

I guess it was cheaper at the time to install. After all, that was the time when Porsche wasnt' doing so well

-it does have the euro bumpers

-it has the H4 headlights, very bright

-tiny side markers

-and the cutouts for the window switches

You could really get the 944 bare bones over here. Sort of like mine. NO OPTIONS. No power steering, no pwr windows, no sunroof, no A/C, no nothin'!!!
Old 08-25-2003 | 05:28 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

That basic. Ineresting. Maybe I need to move to Germany and start a parts export to the US.

Any racers want a body with no sunroof?

How about a set of euro bumpers?

Quick Reply: Elec window switches. Got any?