Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 went down today

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2003, 05:35 PM
micklongley
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done some more investigating and it looks like the dist. cap and rotor are pretty worn. Could that be causing the really bad knock sound? This problem is starting to make me look like an idiot because its so simple. I'll let you guys know what happens after replacement. Thanks

Mick
Old 08-23-2003, 05:48 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There's a difference between lifter noise (tapping) and rod noise (a knock) but it might be hard for you to tell if you don't have a lot of experience.

But what you describe as a knock could not be related to your rotor or cap.

IMO, You have some serious engine problem, and continuing to run it without an expert diagnosis could be very expensive.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:02 PM
micklongley
Intermediate

Okay, ive narrowed down the problem to the area surrounding the cam pulley. I took the covers off and everything seems to be normal, but thats definitely where I get the most knock from. I really dont think its a rod knock. it sounds more like something in the head making contact. I dont really get much knock on the camshaft cover itself, but I do get a lot on the camshaft pulley housing. Anyone know what this could be? when i start it up right now it sounds like a small diesel engine. would that be lifters? or messed up valves? Let me know what you think. Thanks

Mick
Old 08-24-2003, 07:34 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Is the dust cover behind the rotor in place. Mine got loose several months ago and that made a strange noise.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:38 PM
micklongley
Intermediate

Hmm. I dont seem to have a dust cover of any kind. my rotor just attaches to the shaft thats bolted to the cam pulley. I assume its just a little plastic piece?
Old 08-24-2003, 10:41 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, it's a light plastic cover that's kind of bowl or disc shaped from what I can recall. Soem guys don't install them. If you can't see it, it's not there.
Old 08-24-2003, 10:44 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How's about using a mechanics stethescope help to narrow down the source of the noise?
Old 08-24-2003, 11:48 PM
micklongley
Intermediate

Well, I dont have a professional stethescope but i did use a solid piece of steel to locate the problem to the cam pulley cover. I get a really loud response there and everywhere else is a lot quieter. could it be something hitting the camshaft and the sound is just most noticeable on the pulley cover? im pretty sure its something bad from what everyones been saying. I replaced to dist cap and rotor to no avail. $50 down the drain. the sound is constant, and gets a little worse when i rev it to about 2000. Im about to give up and jsut part the car out. I would really love to save it though. Thanks guys

Mick
Old 08-25-2003, 01:13 AM
car_slave
Pro

It's probably just bad lifters, certainly nothing to part a car out over. Then again if you are not ready for the sort of attention that a 1984 944 can require you might want to sell it. Try some thicker oil and see if that helps. What are you using in it now?
Old 08-25-2003, 02:37 AM
micklongley
Intermediate

10w 30 is what they put in I believe. I'll try some thicker oil and see if that would help. How labor intensive are lifters? I just finished replacing a pistion in my VW Corrado so im kind of burnt out with engines. Could it be done in less than 4 hours? special tools? How could i confirm its the lifters and not something a little more major? is it driveable until I can get into it? Thanks a lot guys

Mick
Old 08-25-2003, 04:08 AM
89magic98
In the Sink
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally posted by micklongley
Hmm. I dont seem to have a dust cover of any kind. my rotor just attaches to the shaft thats bolted to the cam pulley. I assume its just a little plastic piece?
It would look like this (see attached).

The picture shows it as it would sit in the car. It slides over the shaft for the rotor.
Attached Images  
Old 08-25-2003, 01:50 PM
car_slave
Pro

Man, 10 30W is way too thin for your CA car, try some 20 50W the manual says that it is good from 18F up.

So this job will answer both your engine trouble questions. First by taking out the magnetic oil drain plug and looking for what has been described as the "Christmas tree of Death" which consists of a collocations of metal shavings found on engines with spun bearings. Secondly if the noise dies down after the change then lifters are the most likely culprit.

Doing a the lifters on a 944 is not that bad, check out http://www.clarks-garage.com . If you are not yet familiar with his site it has a fairly extensive garage shop manual.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:04 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I would pull the dist rotor off and see if the bolt under it is tight. This holds the cam gear to the end of the cam. A wobly cam gear does cause the rotor and inside of the dist cap to wear and can make unearthly noise.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:19 PM
James86-951
Pro

SoCal driver beat me to the cam gear bolt. Remove the dist cap/rotor and push on the upper part of the cam gear. It may be loose enough for you to move it by hand. My car had the same noise and it was the cam gear bolt. Stop by NAPA or some place like that to get the 10mm triple square bit to tighten it down.

I thought I had spun a bearing as well, but that was not the case. Good Luck.
Old 08-25-2003, 08:42 PM
micklongley
Intermediate

Thats it! problem solved! I tightened the female cam bolt and that fixed it. It was barely loose and still causing all that noise. Thanks so much guys! I was about to give up. Thanks again for another problem solved.

Mick

Quick Reply: 944 went down today