Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Occasional "!" light

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2003, 10:44 PM
lswanie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine is on all the time but theres a piece of black tape over it, same thing with the airbag light.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:06 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most likely low brake fluid level. I had the same symptom while stepping on gas hard
Old 09-09-2003, 02:23 AM
dualblade
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Rally Guy
Okay - ridiculous suggestion - but doesn't the "!" light come on when the parking brake is on? In my former 951 - the parking brake switch contacts were dirty - so the light would stay on, even with the handle all the way off/down. Cleaned contacts sorted it out in a flash.

RK
actually, i don't think this is so ridiculous. i was going to suggest this as well (or maybe we're both crazy ). mine was loose and bumps in the road would make it jiggle on or off (the contacts were pretty bad too)
Old 09-09-2003, 09:11 AM
MHT
Burning Brakes

the "i" is telling you to check the instruments, it is linked to the warning lights on the dash. Given your description, the most likely cause is low brake fluid level, check it. The level should be visible through the side of the reservoir, while you are at it check the condition of the fluid. Oil level is only going to turn on the light if it is low when you start the car, at which point the light will stay on untill you turn the car off. Somrtimes the "i" will be on with no apparent cause, if this is the case, make sure that all the warning lamps are illuminated with the key on and engine off, check the owner's manual and compare what you see on the dash with the diagrams in the manual. A burned out ABS or airbag warning lamp bulb, for example, will turn on the central informer and set a code in its respective control unit.

Quick Reply: Occasional "!" light