Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hatch reseal advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2014 | 03:08 PM
mkronenberg
6th Gear

Default Rear hatch reseal advice

I posted this in the model specific forum before realizing this one exists.

my rear hatch window is starting to lift, I've done a bunch of research and I'm going to tackle this project myself. I have a few questions for the experts though.

1. No tutorial I have read mentions replacing the rubber seal between the glass and the frame. Shouldn't it be replaced? If so where can you buy it, I can't find it online.

2. What adhesive would you recommend? Some tutorials mention silicone based glue, others mention 3M kits. I have read a lot of bad reviews about the 3M kit.

thanks
Old 12-02-2014 | 06:30 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

1. The rubber seal you are referring to is actually adhesive.

2. Search rear hatch reseal Rennlist on Google as there have been several good tutorials written.
Old 12-03-2014 | 02:56 PM
mkronenberg
6th Gear

ok good to know about the seal. I've read many tutorials all over and most of then gloss over certain details. By reading about 10 of them I think I've pieced together an idea.

My turbo model has the rear wiper, apparently the clip to remove it is in the "side panel" I believe they mean the left side panel of the trunk and that the clip is by the sunroof motor. Does anyone have a photo to reference?

-Mike
Old 12-04-2014 | 12:58 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

I've answered this before, but will do so again - it is not hard but tedious.

1. remove the hatch
2. remove all the trim from the hatch - the rear wing, the side rubber parts the top metal trim part
3. cut the glass loose from the trim - I used box cutters, but maybe the wire tool used for windshields will work
4. purchase the 3M brand urethane windshield adhesive (two tubes to be safe) and get the two primers, one clear and one black that are recommended on the label.
5. trim back the rubber on the frame and reinstall the frame with no trim in place - have it latch in place.
6. clean off the glass, clean the seal area with acetone and get it really really clean.
7. apply the two primers, in the proper order, waiting the exact time indicated in the instructions
8 apply a 1/2 to 3/4 inch bead of the urethane adhesive/sealant around the frame, making sure there are no gaps
9. with a helper, carefully center the glass and set it onto the frame
10 press it lightly down into the adhesive until there is a good bond everywhere.
11. go away and leave it alone for at least 12 hours, preferably 24 - leave it in a reasonably warm location
12. open hatch and reinstall trim - do not connect the gas springs
13 wait two weeks
14 reattach gas springs

Quick Reply: Rear hatch reseal advice