Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2003, 11:25 AM
Red1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Sehr gut!

See you in the morning.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:53 PM
jp944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Ag951
They must sit closer. I think the force required to stretch my harness that much would be more than enough to snap my neck first

Belts are designed for two purposes, to decelerate the user and stop the user. Belts are made to stretch slightly in a crash, which is why its minor stretching makes synthetic webbing is a good choice for straps. If they didn't stretch, you're head would be more likely to take a vacation from your shoulders. I retired my open face helmet.
Old 08-22-2003, 02:33 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 163 Posts

I'll chime in:

Open vs. closed-faced - Get the closed-face. Safer and we seldom pull stints more than 45-60 minutes in the car. Ever notice how 944 mirrors can bounce debris into your face at 100+ mph? I have. Also, it may not be the nicest face... But, I like mine and plan to keep it. They actually do ventilate better that you would think. Buy a balaclava while you're at it to soak up the sweat. They hand wash in a minute, dry in about 10 minutes.
Belt stretch - They do, I used to manufacture the fiber and loom it into the webbing (belts). You should have seen the stress tests. Belts give little and allow the driver to decelerate at a very slightly smaller rate than the vehicle. This, conveniently enough, prevents things like your spine crashing through your internal organs as it continues to decelerate after the front of your chest has already done so.
Helmet buying - I STRONGLY suggest you go somewhere to try them on. Buy the exact unit that you try on, have proper fit, does not produce undue pressure points (they WILL drive you crazy, even in DE sessions). If you work with a knowledgeable retailer, they will likely encourage you to go as snug as you can stand within reason. The helmet is designed to protect the head inside. It does the best job when the head inside is not moving withing the helmet or able to rotate up/down, side-to-side, etc.

Spend what you can on the safety bits. Understand their proper fit and use. They protect the only irreplaceable component in the vehicle.
Old 08-22-2003, 05:42 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
I regularly dance near 140mph at HPDE's, with no full cage or safety devices besides what the factory gave me (OK, a roll bar and DE's fav, Simpson belts) Dale ran 200+ in a full cage on tracks designed for high speeds in a car designed to save his ***. Are you trying to say Dale didn't need a full face? My opinion was he set a terrible example running around with his face hanging out. A lot of safety officials, Nascar included, feel this way too. I won't comment on the needs for Auto-X because I have no experience there, but I'd rather patronize a crack ho unsheathed than run DE open face. (OK, maybe that is an extreme example) So what if it feels stuffy. Your life is on the line, not your comfort. Then again, the Darwin awards are always accepting apps.. DE jr. saw the light..finally.

Tonight, devils advocate.......
No, read it again. I said I didn't think a full face would have kept him alive. I think he should have worn a full helmet. I believe nascar has the nets instead of windows, so something could bounce in. Also if something came loose in the car, it could get him in the face.
I wasn't aware HPDEs were at 140mph (sounds fun). I think I'd want to wear a full faced helm for that.

An autocross and a nascar race are very different events though. The vast majority of autocrossers I've seen with the SCCA, PCA, and NASA run with open faced helmets. I doubt they'd be doing it unless the risk is negligibe. Many who have full helmets have them for motorcycles, and save money by wearing the same helmet to autocross.

Originally posted by Geo
That's right.....

"It couldn't happen to me."
That wasn't denial. It was logic. My head would have to go two feet to hit the wheel. How is that going to happen in an event where I spend the entire time in first or second gear?
I'll be back at the helmet store before doing any road racing, but not for autocross.

Quick Reply: Helmets