Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTF? OEM Turbo S brake pad issue.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 02:31 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 206 Likes on 134 Posts
Question WTF? OEM Turbo S brake pad issue.

Here's a real strange one for ya.. anyone seen anything like this before?

The patient: 1988 944 Turbo S, (Silberosa) Brad's 12k mile original car that was at the Fest03.. a beautiful original example. He did a DE on Mid-Ohio with us the week after the fest and developed a brake pulsation that felt a lot like a warped rotor. It was bad enough to make his instructor nervous about riding along, and reportedly more severe at speeds. Well, upon removal of the front pads, he finds THIS:

These "chunks" are falling out of the original factory pads, penny size and shape, and leaving very odd holes in the pads. I'm guessing the pads are some sort of bi-metallic, with different compounds in the little circles than in the rest of the pad. We're almost positive these are the original pads, they show a 928 part # (pic #2)

My 89 951 factory pads (maybe not original) did NOT have these circles, disintegrated or not. I know they had major issues with brake squeal with these cars, (I know a TS that was returned as a LEMON because they could not fix the brake squeal) and Brad's TS is a VERY early example. My recommendation was to replace the pads and see if that fixes the pulsation (genius, eh?) and I even lent him a stock set with 25% left just to test..

Has anyone else seen these odd "bi-metallic" pads? What were they thinking?
Old 08-21-2003, 02:51 AM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dan, you're up late... but I have heard of this as odd as it sounds. Since I have purchased my '89 I have been in contact with the original owner of my car who ironically sold it for an '88 Turbo S "silver rose" one of the originals. He told me that he had purchased it with only 2K on it from a collector and that he replaced his pads d/t similar problems. He didn't talk about the little rounds penny-like discs or anything, just very similar symptoms as what you're talking about... I thought he was whacked when he told me that story but I guess I believe him now.

Weird uh!
Old 08-21-2003, 04:32 AM
emilysgranny
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have seen this done to some 60's american cars ,but have not seen this on a Porsche . The part # is not listed in the pet. Interesting ,you learn something new every day. Hmmm ,something new to figure out.
Old 08-21-2003, 06:10 AM
Julian Allen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

My 89 intro book says that the Textar T400 non asbestos pads originally for the Turbo S had sintered plugs in the pads, and that they were discontinued in the 89 year, although stocks on hand could be used.
Back then the factory was trying lots of different things to get rid of squeal, including the plugs, dampers that fit between the piston and pad on a sheet of metal, adhesive backed dampers, and even a plug of metal on the top of the strut mount (in the engine compartment). Metalmasters got rid of the squeal and the dust.
Your friend's pads must be fairly old.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:12 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 206 Likes on 134 Posts

Thanks for all the info, folks!

Is Rennlist awesome or WHAT!?!

Quick Reply: WTF? OEM Turbo S brake pad issue.