Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003, 01:18 AM
NICK G.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i keep seeing you guys talk about using a clay bar. how does it work. i have always used a liquid wax like zymol. if it works better i would like to try. how do you use it????
Old 08-21-2003, 03:49 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by NICK G.
i keep seeing you guys talk about using a clay bar. how does it work. i have always used a liquid wax like zymol. if it works better i would like to try. how do you use it????
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...duct_Code=Z-18
Old 08-21-2003, 10:36 AM
slinky
Burning Brakes

The clay bar only works at getting the paint smoother by removing surface contaminants. If you have paint oxidation or fine scratches, try Meguiar's paint cleaner.

I used this on my Isuzu Impulse, which had red paint that was very faded-looking and dull from severely oxidized paint. After using the paint cleaner, the difference was amazing. Deep color and shine had returned!

I used the clay bar on my 951 right after I got it. Afterward, the paint felt much smoother to the touch. Both the clay bar and the paint cleaner take a little elbow grease, but I love both products, and I think the extra work is definitely worth it.
Old 08-22-2003, 01:40 AM
JohnA944
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The clay bar wil also take out hard water deposits left on you car. It works on your windshield too.
Old 08-25-2003, 01:14 AM
NICK G.
Instructor

randy thanks for the site it was real informative and i mite try to use the z-18 claybar and some of there other products. have you used there wax?
Old 08-25-2003, 01:32 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by NICK G.
randy thanks for the site it was real informative and i mite try to use the z-18 claybar and some of there other products. have you used there wax?
No affiliation with Zaino or anyone else, but yes, I have used Zymol and Zaino. Using Zaino now for everything - wash, clay bar, Z2, Z6, glass, etc. Just won the PCA-CWR zone 6 class 7 this weekend "concours lite" with the car! Actually, they're both pretty decent products, but I like the Zaino for some things, and Zymol for others.

For a 1 shot instant shine - dawn wash, clay bar, and Zymol works wonders - even the "cheap Zymol" from Wal-Mart. For deeper lustre and more time, the Zaino is tough to beat. Really first rate, and beats out carnuba wax.

Check this site out for more info http://www.ffcobra.com/magazine/waxtest.html
Old 08-25-2003, 02:17 PM
NICK G.
Instructor

Randy, That is a great web site also. Do they sell zaino products any other places than the web site.I have been using zymol auto wash,cleaner wax and detail wax enhancer and I have got great results.I really had to work on the paint , the owner before really let it go. But i'm always looking for something a little better, and from the site the zaino looks like it is definitely worth a try. thanks alot, again! NICK G.

Quick Reply: Clay bar