Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Painting center caps. Which paint?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2003 | 03:05 PM
Brian Wilson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Painting center caps. Which paint?

I'm refinishing my wheels. I'm hoping that i can find the paint here. When painting the centercaps, what kind of paint should i use? Painting as in the gold, black and red of the crest.
Old 08-17-2003 | 03:35 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

I used the model paint at Wal-Mart, comes in an ink pen type dispenser.
Old 08-17-2003 | 06:58 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Yep...as long as the clearcoat is compatible, the color shouldn't matter much...If you're looking for gold colors, err on the side of too silver.
Old 08-17-2003 | 08:21 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

I repainted the centercaps on my 924S about 4 days ago. I bought all the stuff i needed from Walmart. I got..

Duplicolor Ultra Silver M spray can (was in automotive)
Duplicolor Autospray clear coat (also in automotive)
4 'Painters' paint markers by Hunt...Black, Red, Gold and Silver (Found these in the crafts section, around where they have yarn and fabrics).

All that cost me about $15.00. Some advice...make sure you get the fine tip markers as it makes it very difficult to paint with the regular fat tips. Came out pretty well i think...

And finnaly....
Old 08-17-2003 | 11:28 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Nice wheels. Thanks for the info. I plan to do my caps as well soon.
Old 08-18-2003 | 10:35 AM
nineeagles
Pro

One Shot sign paint lasts a very very long time.....it is expensive but its worth it if you are good with a brush........it is lead based.....
Old 08-18-2003 | 12:33 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

For the record, I found it easier to mask off the shield with tape and just spray it gold.
Old 08-18-2003 | 01:41 PM
SigAlphAdam
Instructor

TechnoDuck, did you spray the whole cap with the silver can before you painted the colors?

What about hood badges...mine's pretty worn. can i paint it or am i better off buying a new one?
Old 08-18-2003 | 01:53 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I used testor's model paints and a small brush. I painted the cap silver first with Plasti Kote silver wheel paint, then sprayed clear over the whole thing after the crests dried.
The cap looks like a different color than the wheel in this pic but I think it's just that the cap is shinier due to the clear. It's really a pretty good match.

Here's a shot of the crests on my old car's Fuchs. I did them the same way and these were painted 5 years ago.

Old 08-18-2003 | 02:05 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Originally posted by SigAlphAdam
TechnoDuck, did you spray the whole cap with the silver can before you painted the colors?

What about hood badges...mine's pretty worn. can i paint it or am i better off buying a new one?

Heres a step by step of what i pretty much did,

1. Wash caps with dish detergent and a toothbrush

2. Spray silver paint, two coats (just let it dry completley before you go about painting)

3. Paint entire crest gold with marker, let that dry completley (i let it sit about 10 minutes)

4. Paint the black areas in, and again let it dry

5. Paint the red and let dry for about 1 hour

6. I then went over any areas that i accidently painted with the silver marker, its not an exact match to thte spray can, i found if you go ovre the area with the silver marker, then smudge it with your finger then the color seemingly blends better. Dont ask how...but it works.

7. I then sprayed it with 3 coats of clear coating, and let that dry overnight before i put it back on the car.

The whole process took me no more than an hour and a half.

As for the hoodbadge, i considered repainting that myself also as mine is also a bit faded...but the texture on the hoodbadge is different from that of the wheel cap. It may prove much more difficult to do a good job on that, and im not sure if those paint markers will even work. I would probably just buy another badge as they are only $30 give or take. Center caps on the other hand are close to $85.00 a peice!
Old 08-22-2003 | 12:40 PM
SigAlphAdam
Instructor

Hey all, I just finished mine last night. They look hot! Those wal-mart paint-markers worked great. The only real trouble i had was highlighting "STUTTGART". even with the fine-tip marker it was a little hard. But thanks for the tips, i can't wait to see the reaction this weekend!
Old 05-08-2005 | 06:29 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

im doing this now, i have tried duplicolor, plastikote, and testors brands, but even after letting some sit for a week, the paint washes away from a second color or added coat. i sort of polished my caps instead of just painting them, i went down to 600 grit. i then painted the entire cap to get the gold in the trim ring also....then sanded carefully again to get the paint off of the main part. when trying to get the black down on the clear, the clear was washing away. i put clear on top of the gold, because the gold was wiping off on my hands. i was afraid the gold would dull out. pleas egive more tips. also, when you guys do clear, do you do a thick coat, or a bunch of thin coats? when i do thin coats, i never get a gloss. but thick coats get the dust craters.
Old 05-08-2005 | 07:09 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

I used touchup paint from AutoZone. I did it over a year ago and haven't had any problems at all. Each color comes with its own brush too!
Old 05-08-2005 | 08:15 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

you werent supposed to paint the porsche or stuttgrat black silly they didnt change the badge to look like that until 95 i think (looks good either way, just giving a hard time, i painted my stuttgart black too >_<)

i used model paint and the paint markers from krylon
Old 05-08-2005 | 11:29 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i used the duplicolr touchups with pen tip/brush but the paint thickened up right after the first bar i painted.....and it wasnt compatible with my duplicolor clear that i put over the gold. does anyone have different pics of the crest with either a gold ring, or black ring? im still not sure what i want to go with.

Quick Reply: Painting center caps. Which paint?