Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High HP Potential?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 05:58 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Just because you are dead wrong on your own argument you think this film clip will prove anything?

Facts are Facts. Cars are not always faster than bikes and bikes are not always faster than cars. PERIOD.

It takes an extreme vehicle to out run an experienced super bike rider and his bike. The cars you mention that are faster START in the low six figures for the slow ones. Not your average street machine.

What's your beef anyway? Some 500cc motocross bike beat you in a race and now you have a chip on your shoulder? I don't get it, this is supposed to be a nice discussion about cars and all things fast. Why are you taking this so personal? Relax, its not healthy. I'd suggest a nice cold beer but judging from your pics if they are recent, your not old enough. So if that is the case, take a nap.
Old 08-20-2003, 06:47 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by streckfu's951
Sorry, ag951, but you're wrong.
How does that make me wrong? I said that an F1 would probably beat a sport bike (I'm guessing on that, I have no real basis for comparison).
But the comparison was not with an F1 or a Corvette. It was with a Supra Turbo. The Supra Turbo will not out corner a bike on a track.
And on something really tight, like an autoX course with slaloms and tight hairpins, the CBR (as our example sport bike) will have an even stronger advantage over a Supra.

Fishey, you're a moron and an ***! Read streckfu's post to learn how to tactfully disagree with somebody. I've seen more maturity out of 16-year old ricers.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:20 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Hacker-Pschorr
Just because you are dead wrong on your own argument you think this film clip will prove anything?

Facts are Facts. Cars are not always faster than bikes and bikes are not always faster than cars. PERIOD.

It takes an extreme vehicle to out run an experienced super bike rider and his bike. The cars you mention that are faster START in the low six figures for the slow ones. Not your average street machine.

What's your beef anyway? Some 500cc motocross bike beat you in a race and now you have a chip on your shoulder? I don't get it, this is supposed to be a nice discussion about cars and all things fast. Why are you taking this so personal? Relax, its not healthy. I'd suggest a nice cold beer but judging from your pics if they are recent, your not old enough. So if that is the case, take a nap.
WATCH THE MOVIE SHUT UP..... The point is the movie compares a car to a bike just like the bike compared to the supra... Its not of a racebike vs a ALMS car or a cup car...

Last edited by Fishey; 08-21-2003 at 01:30 AM.
Old 08-20-2003, 07:56 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Your FIRST response to the car/bike issue was:

Originally posted by Fishey
This is the stupid quote of a month.... Actually of the year...
Car's have 4 big fatty tires and thats alot more grip.
In case you forgot or don't know how to go back a few pages, you were responding to a comment about a bike being faster than a street supra.
So now because you know your wrong, you change your story. Now its Race car and Race bikes. Before it was just cars with big fatty tires vs bikes. To go back to the original post, a street Supra, will NOT out run a super bike. Assuming the person on the bike knows what they are doing.

Oh, the video with Jeremy Clarkson isn't working. But if its the one from Top Gear that I think it is, I already have it. Doesn't prove anything, they are a Car Magazine. So if Car and Driver says the new KIA is the best car ever, does that make it so? Maybe to you.

I look at the real deal. Racing. You tried to prove you point with lap times from Mid-Ohio. Nice try. The term "Race Car" is to generic. My friend has a 1965 VW Beetle "Race Car" that only has 90hp. Do you think it will out run any super bike?

I watched a different video. Road America AMA Super bike weekend. Funny, I can think of only 4 classes of cars out of about 150 that are even close or better than the super bikes. So your term that the race cars "slaughtered" the bikes, if you know how to do math. 4 out of 150 races. I'm no math wiz, but that doesn't look much like a slaughter.

The #1 most important item when trying to figure out how fast something is:
Power to Weight Ratio.
If you don't know what this means, look it up. You obviously don't understand it very well.

Old 08-20-2003, 08:57 PM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

WATCH THE MOVIE SHUT UP..... Thats all I am saying.... Its compareing race cars to race bikes.
compare road bikes to road cars (aka watch the movie) then shut up... Also this is from a standing start and as we all know thats to the bike's advantage....
Since you've watched the movie, doesn't that mean you should shut up now?
Old 08-21-2003, 01:08 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

"The #1 most important item when trying to figure out how fast something is:
Power to Weight Ratio.
If you don't know what this means, look it up. You obviously don't understand it very well."
first we are talking about handling soo... were have you been?

I am just telling you too...
Hacker-Pschorr
watch movie I didnt change ****....... WATCH THE MOVIE. Also when did price become a factor? I mean lets face it bikes are cheaper no crap... but that wasnt the discussion...?

Also if you didnt know this was independent because jermemy clarkson wasnt on topgear anymore.........had no affiliations with topgear. The movie races a R1 yammaha vs a porsche carrara 4 ON a DRY track... Thats not good for the 4-wheel drive car.. compareing acceleration 0-60 in 3.2 vs 0-60 5.4 from a stop one lap. so were did the car win? braking and cornering you can't make up a race. A race is a race with 2 professional drivers a car (mid pack speed) car vs a super bike (one of the fastest production bikes in the world)

Maybe you guys forgot bikes don't have square tires. They have round ones and when you get into a cornor alot of the tire isnt on the ground. unlike a car were the whole tire stays on the ground. Of course a bike is faster in a strait line but this wasnt about that. it was about what was faster in turns. Saidly bike review's don't ever have a G-pad results or brake distances.. If you can find them please send them my way..

Last edited by Fishey; 08-21-2003 at 01:39 AM.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:36 AM
Ag951
Three Wheelin'

so were did the car win? braking and cornering you can't make up a race.
Now you're saying a car can outBRAKE a bike? Are you Amish or something, cuz you don't know anything about modern technology.
If you'd like to see a street bike compared to supercars read this. It's ten years old, but it's still applicable.
The Kawasaki beat the 964 Turbo by 31ft. on 100-0 braking.
It beat a Ferarri 512TR by74ft.

Maybe you guys forgot bikes don't have square tires. They have round ones and when you get into a cornor alot of the tire isnt on the ground. unlike a car were the whole tire stays on the ground.
I was right: you don't know anything about technology.
A bike has a rounded tire for a reason: it's supposed to corner on the edge. The curved edge flexes enough (that's why tires are air filled rubber, not hard plastic) to give a large contact patch.
A car rolls to the outside (corner-wise) of its tires. Race cars and super cars have negative camber to try to compensate for this. But that means that the inside tires have a minimal contact patch (but the outside is what matters most).
If you think a car's tread stays on the ground during hard cornering, you should take your amish buggy to an autocross.
Old 08-21-2003, 07:55 AM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AG - the point is about cornering. Are you actually saying that bikes pull more G's in turns than cars?????????????????????????????????/

Old 08-21-2003, 10:06 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

"The #1 most important item when trying to figure out how fast something is:
Power to Weight Ratio.
If you don't know what this means, look it up. You obviously don't understand it very well."
first we are talking about handling soo... were have you been?
Your whole argument must be one big joke. If so, kudos to you. You had us going!!!
If you actually think power to weight ratio has no factors on how a car handles, you must be joking.

I really think your joking about this whole thing with this statement:

"porsche carrara 4 ON a DRY track... Thats not good for the 4-wheel drive car.."
Holy cow. Quick, call Audi, they need this info. They need to make all their cars rear wheel drive to win races. Wait a minute, they already are winning races. On the dry, with all wheel drive.

AWD is not a disadvantage on the dry. If you don't believe me, just do some research on the 1988 Trans-Am series. Tell Hurley Haywood AWD is a disadvantage.

Where do you come up with this stuff?
Old 08-21-2003, 10:34 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Now you are telling me AWD isnt a disadvantage?

Yea better call audi and ask them why the RS6 race car keeps getting its *** kicked around even though its got what? 100more HP then the cars in its class....

BUT who am I too tell you this..

Just look at porsche car line. The 2 fastest car's are both RWD why would they do this if AWD was faster? I

Last edited by Fishey; 08-21-2003 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:44 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

AWD is an advantage in the rain. On dry pavement, it's only an advantage for crap drivers It's the weight that kills it. Look at the 'radical' it doesn't need front wheels driving too. I think if you were racing a land yatch... skyline, 3000gt ect it might have it's advantages, but I would perfer to keep it light.

I would take a properly set up 74' carrera rs over any C4.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:54 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

look up the weight on the 996 turbo. Look at the 996t Gt2 vs. the 996 tt times and BOTH are heavy pigs.

IMHO, i wouldn't by any 911 after the 964 generation. The 996 and 993 are almost more like appliances than a porsche should be. I'm sure you'll argue w/ that since you drive a 928.
Old 08-21-2003, 10:56 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Deletage... I dunno were his post went anyways.
Luke, the carrara 2 993 still gots lots of over steer and that scary feeling everytime you hustle it into a cornor.. anyways I agreee the 996 lost the feeling compleatly and the carrara 4's did too.. altho the carrara 2 993 has it I agree its not on the same level as a 930 or 964.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:49 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

This is really getting pointless. All I have been trying to say is you cannot over generalize these things. You bring up the Audi's this year. Did you forget last year? and the year before?

Speed GT - Michael Galati 2002 & 2001 champion with an AWD Audi S4. 2000 2nd place.

This year, Randy Pobst is 3rd in the standings with Audi. That is a lot of cars he is still faster than. Hmm, first year with a new car. That accounts for something.

Again, AWD is NOT always a disadvantage as you say it is. Good discussion for a forum though.

I still wonder why AWD was banned in Trans-Am............because it caused teams to be slower? After only one team used it for one season? Oh wait, I forgot, they won the championship. How about that? Next your probably going to try and tell me you believe the rumor that Audi was using Nitrous in 1988.
Old 08-21-2003, 11:52 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

I like AWD, i have a nice audi V8 quattro. That's the kinda car I would want AWD on. I would perfer lighter rwd race cars. I doubt we'll ever see AWD in formula one.

Deletage... I dunno were his post went anyways.
Luke, the carrara 2 993 still gots lots of over steer and that scary feeling everytime you hustle it into a cornor.. anyways I agreee the 996 lost the feeling compleatly and the carrara 4's did too.. altho the carrara 2 993 has it I agree its not on the same level as a 930 or 964.
I'm sure your 993 is a VERY nice car, but, for me, even the 964 is pushing it. I'm more into the go karts

Quick Reply: High HP Potential?