Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compressor/R134 questions...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 04:31 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I figure if our stock compressors lasted this long, they are pretty sturdy! I may order all the parts, and have my mechanic install and flush everything properly.

I use the compressor in the winter too...when it's damp and cold and the windows fogg up. Gotta have a working unit!
Old 08-14-2003, 04:36 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Andy,

I think the rebuilt compressor will be fine provided it's bought from a reputable rebuilder. I'd shy away from the one sold at the englishtown flea market unless you want to replace it every year.

Just an FYI, Autozone has the same drier vertex sells for $20. A new 134 seal kit can also be bought at the local autoparts store for about 2 bucks. I use "Fast Thinner" AKA "Wash Thinner" for AC flush. It removes everything, does not harm metals, and evaporates very quickly. In my opinion it far superior to Castrol A/C flush, mineral spirits, or break kleen. You can buy it at autozone.
Old 08-14-2003, 05:33 PM
Perry 951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Denatured Alcohol is also a very good flush fluid. It attracts moisture and breaks down oils. Blow out the residues with compressed air, then pull the vacuum.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:35 PM
Jeremy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor

Andy -

I may have an extra A/C compressor for you. I purchased a newly remanufactured one about a year ago to install in a 951 I had just purchased. The 951 had the A/C delete kit, meaning the the compressor had been completely removed. When I started investigating more this spring, I realized that the compressor, although in like-new condition, did not come with the compressor clutch. Normally, this is not a problem as you would just take the one off of your previous compressor. Unfortunately, because of the A/C delete, however, I did not have a prior compressor to take the clutch from. After looking for a while on Rennlist and eBay, I finally resolved to purchase an entire compressor/clutch set-up which I expect to finally be installed by the end of next week.

Provided I have no problems with the compressor/clutch set-up, I will have a compressor for sale. It was remanufactured by Car Care Parts Co. and is still wrapped in the original shipping materials. The compressor shipped with Ester Oil, so if your mechanic will be installing R-134, he simply needs to drain the Ester oil and replace it witha R-134 compatible oil (he will have done this before - it is common). As I said, I have never used this compressor and it remains in its original box - I will only need it if I have a problem with the other compressor/clutch combo I purchased. I would certainly prefer that a Rennlister purchase it, I am sure we can work out a fair price and your proximity to me should cut down on shipping costs (I live in LI, but work in Manhattan - so you could pick it up from me if you like). Feel free to PM me if you are interested -

Jeremy
Old 07-20-2004, 03:47 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow...blast from the past!
Seems my compressor is working fine. It sat all winter, and emerged this summer, workiing fine. So, I don't need one at this point.
Thanks though.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:11 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Use caution - the 944 Online "conversion kit" isn't. I bought one and learned very quickly that it was basically just a Sanden r-12 compressor. It does NOT come with r134a fittings and the model Sanden that comes with the kit is the "SD5-508" model designed for r-12, NOT the "SD5-H14" compressor that is designed for r134a. While r134a will probably work in the 508 compressor, look at Sanden's web site for the differences - the "block" of the compressors are the same but all the seals are different. I suspect over time this is not a really great idea; Sanden probably came out with a separate model intended for use with r134a for a reason. . .

I've used r12 with the system and it's great. The Sanden compressor is magnificent - I have no doubt it will last forever (unlike the Nippondensos that seem to be prone to leaks). I'm not trying to discourage you from buying from 944Online (they were reasonable to deal with), but I think that on this particular issue they didn't know what the hell they were doing - if you really intend on converting to r134a, buy the proper compressor directly from Sanden or one of their vendors, get the correct fittings, oils, etc.

That said, r12 IS what the 944's system is designed / sized for, not r134a. While 134 might work, it won't work as well as r12. Vent temps are about 10-15 degrees warmer with 134 at operating speed IIRC and are SIGNIFICANTLY higher (I think I recall someone saying almost 30 degrees higher) at idle. Just something to consider. . .

Quick Reply: Compressor/R134 questions...