Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for early DME to borrow in Maryland

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 08:11 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for early DME to borrow in Maryland

After nearly a year of fighting an issue in my car where it just stops running after about 30 minutes of running, I need to rule out the DME. If anyone has an early one in central Maryland they'd be willing to loan out, I would be more than grateful. I could also use a late DME if you also have a late AFM to go with it. I would be happy to provide collateral of some type and a 12-pack of compensation. Thanks.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:19 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I'm about 15 miles west of Frederick right off US340.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:43 PM
james5400
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good day... I am new to rennlist... I have had a 1988 944 N/a for about 15 years, its my everyday driver. It has about 300k on it... a few weeks back I had an issue with the DME. I pulled up to a light and the car died never to be started again... I had it towed home. After the basic checks of relays, fuel etc.. I pulled the DME out of the car. I took the covers off and got out my magnifying glass and the trusty soldering iron and went looking for cold solder joints. The circuit boards are not potted so repairs are possible. I found a few cracked solder joints and a few suspect ones. Mostly around devices with heat sinks and power resistors. I touched them up and put the DME back together. I plugged it back in and the car started right up not to mention it seems to have a much smoother idle. As mentioned I have had the car a long time and never replaced the DME... Therefore I suspect that the components are robust. But not physically immune to vibration and long term heating and cooling. I figured the DME was broke, I was going to have to buy another DME anyways, so what harm is there in taking it apart. Nice thing is it worked and I saved about $300.00 bucks and days of waiting for the part to arrive. I am formally trained in Electronics engineering and this sort of trouble shooting and repair is familiar to me. I hope this story helps and saves someone some cash.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:19 PM
konakat
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually a hardware engineer myself. I suspect that there is a dying component overheating and shutting down in my case, which is much more difficult to pinpoint. Welcome to rennlist.

Quick Reply: Looking for early DME to borrow in Maryland