Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strut question

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003 | 01:15 PM
siznycle_man
Intermediate

Default Strut question

I have a 86 944 na. I need to replace the struts as they are both leaking. How can I tell if I have the cartridge type? The strut body has a threaded cap at the top that looks like it accepts a spanner wrench. This leads me to believe that I can buy the koni yellow cartridges. Please help verify. Also how hard is it to replace the wheel bearings and where is the best place to order them. My car has a steering wheel shake that comes and goes. I jacked up the car last night preparing to replace the tierod ends and ball joints. Both look and feel good but feels like I have some bearing play on both front wheels. Thanks in advance, Matt
Old 08-11-2003 | 02:35 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

You have replaceable/rebuildable struts that accept the insert. Unscrew the cap. Koni Sport 8641-1038S is your correct part#

Wheel bearing are relatively easy. Requires a drift to push them out - use the old shells to set them back in. Very standard wheel bearing. if you've ever done them on another non-driven axle. Get the inner, outer and wheel seal. Use standard bearing moly grease - if for racing duty, I recommend Swepco 101.

The shimmy can come from many places - there's a large amount of info about this in the archives - use the search function (top right).

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Strut question