Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing release bearing into pressure plate?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2003 | 12:49 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

Question Installing release bearing into pressure plate?

So my clutch kit (Sachs) has a pressure plate as one would expect, and a release bearing as well. However, the release bearing has a number of thin circular shims included with it. In theory, one could use them to position the release bearing front to back (along the crankshaft axis) in the pressure plate. But the clutch kit had no info with it, and the manuals don't cover it. Am I supposed to do anything with these shims?

Thanks,

Bryan
Old 08-11-2003 | 01:13 PM
Big E
Racer

Yeah, I wouldn't mind an answer to the same exact question. I was thinking that I might be able to just compare how things were mounted on the old pressure plate and duplicate that, but other than that, I've got nothing.
Old 08-11-2003 | 01:32 PM
Bryan
Burning Brakes

The guys at Zims, where I bought the clutch kit, just got back to me. They said the shims are for making the release bearing fit "snugly" in the pressure plate, and you probably only need them if you're installing the bearing into a worn pressure plate - apparently the ends of the radial pressure plate springs can wear down and a new bearing won't fit tight.

I assume there's not supposed to be any front/back motion between the bearing and pressure plate. My old pressure plate and bearing has a little play - I'm going to make sure there is zero with the new stuff.

It looks to me like installing the new bearing into the new pressure plate with no shims will result in the bearing being snug.

Bryan

Quick Reply: Installing release bearing into pressure plate?